Ultra Runners

Rest? (Read 368 times)

Just curious how much time you experienced ultra runners take completely off of running during the course of a year to let your body rest? A week? A month? Never? Satisfy my curiosity please!

You'll ruin your knees!

Living in Texas, it is easy to train/race year round. I don't target a specific time to take off from running, just try to listen to my body. After some tough stuff in 2006, I took the month of December totally away from running, focused more on strength stuff and came back with the best year ever in 2007. This year, I hit Jan with the usual, but came off that month with some issues, so cut my mileage by half in Feb and am just now feeling like my old self...looking to get back on the horse for March until I get another message from my old parts! Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks Lynn. Reason I'm asking is I just finished my first 50k (Moab red hot) 2 weeks ago and my body told me to take some time off if I want to train hard and do a 50miler this summer. Thing is.... not running sucks! I want to run again, but I'm not sure how long to wait so that my resting actually does good for my body. Jarrod

You'll ruin your knees!

Slow, sort and easy at first..give it time...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

My racing season begins in February and ends October/Novemberish, so I try to take at least 2 weeks off and preferably a month after my last race of the year. I concentrate on getting into the gym and doing some lifting and spending time in the pool swimming laps on my lunch breaks. Last year, I was going stir crazy after a week and got back on the horse after 3 weeks. I just couldn't bring myself to go 4 weeks without running.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Good question and topic! I've wondered what other people do for time off too. Here in Arizona there's no real season for running. As long as we acclimate to the heat in the summer, we can easily run year round. So, when does that leave time for rest? I did take some time off last June after Grandma's Marathon but for another reason. I did poorly in that race and was pissed so decided I was giving up running. Well, that lasted a few weeks before I got bored, antsy and motivated to try again. I think the time off was just what I needed though to give my body a rest and re-energize to get geared up for the Fall. So, I always thought folks who run 50 and 100 milers would need lots of time off. But after looking at the running logs of people on this forum, it seems their bodies heal quickly enough to get right back out there. This to me is absolutely amazing! I have no idea how long I'll need off after my race on Sat. That was my first 50 miler so I'm curious to read everyone's thoughts too. Maybe it depends in part on how many miles per week you run too. I don't think I run as much as a lot of ultra runners.

Ultrachick

You have to do what feels right for you. I prefer an active rest. I train by HR so after any big race last year I ran at base pace for the week following the race. I also did at least a 2 mile walk/run the day after a big race as well to get the kinks out. The first few steps may be painful but once you get going it almost hurts more to stop. I use the winter to cut back on mileage and go back to base until it's time to start building again which this year is the Boston marathon (which is way too early! cutting into my ski season!) I use spring marathons to get ready for ultras. I haven't taken any time off (more than one or two days per week)from running in years. So if you're ready go back to it! Like jlynnbob said start slow and easy. Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

who knows...

Thanks Lynn. Reason I'm asking is I just finished my first 50k (Moab red hot) 2 weeks ago and my body told me to take some time off if I want to train hard and do a 50miler this summer. Thing is.... not running sucks! I want to run again, but I'm not sure how long to wait so that my resting actually does good for my body. Jarrod
                  I tend to follow the 'run until you can't' method (as first stated by Lynn). My body ends up forcing me to take time off here and there. (Not always the best approach...) As others here have noted, the best approach is to take it slow; otherwise you may cause damage that puts you out of running for longer than you would like.
                  "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                    Thanks for all the responses!

Wasatch Speedgoat

Like Kelly, I generally do not take time off....but i also train at a low HR and most of my running is very easy (9-10 mpm pace). I do hill repeats, starting in January and will keep those up for awhile for strength and as soon as the snow melts off of the local track, I start some fast repeats once a week. My race season is now until around November, with an ultra a month...then December i back off on the mileage (I generally run about 60 MPW) and feel ready to go after the first of the year. In our sport, where we "have" to practice walking during our really long runs, we don't get the pounding that a high mileage road runner gets. My week is usually an hour a day during the week, 4-8 hours on Saturday and 2-3 on Sunday. Just about all at an easy conversational pace, except for that one hard day. I am 56 and 20 years ago I used to do two hard days a week...no more Tongue Best of luck with it! Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm ramping up my training next week to begin preparing for my first 50k. I'm looking at the schedule my coach has prepared, and I'm like, "Egads!" Shocked Much more intense, so it'll be interesting to see how I handle it. As far as rest, I think I'm one of those people who, if I take too much time off running, it would be hard for me to get going again. I need to stay consistent, even if it's low mileage.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance