Ultra Runners

2010 (Read 596 times)

Usual topic of the year but I thought I would map out my target races for this year but have yet to decide my "filler" runs although there are quite a few to choose from here in the UK.

First one is the Country to Capital 45 mile canal run which is a point to point run taking us from a village called Wendover to the heart of London on 16th January. Map and Compass are required.

The next one will take me out of my comfort zone and I will be aiming for 100 km + on 10th April 2010 when I run a 12 hour track ultra marathon which you may remember Purdey ran last year. No way will I beat Tom's distance as he was a man on a mission and my training plan is looking a tad frantic but I am up for it. I will be sponsored for this run and will be raising money for a "Man Cancers" charity based in the UK.

Later on in July I will be undertaking a 6 hour Ultra and hoping to beat 40 miles or run 20 more laps than last year, easier said than done.

Over to you guys.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

For me, everything is contingent upon my succesful return from knee surgery on Dec 12th.  I am sending in my entry for Hardrock in July and everything else (racewise) will depend on how successful I am in my third attempt at the lottery to get in!  Return to running scheduled to begin in about a week (or so).

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Good luck on the recovery... I just wish there were some more 100 milers here in the UK as they fill up really quickly. I got a place for one and then found it was on my wife's 50th birthday...oops

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

Kalsarikännit

Good luck on the recovery... I just wish there were some more 100 milers here in the UK as they fill up really quickly. I got a place for one and then found it was on my wife's 50th birthday...oops

What's the problem?  Just tell her to crew for you so you can spend the day together.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

February 20 - Hagg Lake 50k, Portland, Oregon

April 10 - American River 50-Mile Endurance Run, Sacrament to Auburn, CA (my first 50-miler)

September 11 - McKenzie River 50k, Somewhere in Oregon

October - Whiskeytown 50k, Redding, CA (maybe)

December 5 - Desert High 50k, Ridgecrest, CA (this has become a favorite of mine, despite the horrible winds this past year)

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone this year as well. It feels good:

April 3 - SweetH2O 50K - trail, some tough climbs, 2 waist deep stream crossings. Ahhhhheeee - Yaaaaahhhhh!

April 17-18 - Lynch's Woods 24 Hr

May 9 - Buncombe Trail 34 Mile Trail Run, challenging technical trail 

June 6 - Chattooga River 50K, 

Sept 5 - Enoree Passage 50 Mile Trail Run

So, I'm not sure what goal I should shoot for during the 24 hour run. Maybe 50 miles...maybe my age...maybe as long as I can run without collapsing. We'll see. I think I'll train for it as if I'm doing a 50 miler. I don't want to trash my legs so badly that I'm total crap for the 34 miler after that. 

Thoughts about that?

Cheers - Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

You'll ruin your knees!

February 20 - Hagg Lake 50k, Portland, Oregon

April 10 - American River 50-Mile Endurance Run, Sacrament to Auburn, CA (my first 50-miler)

September 11 - McKenzie River 50k, Somewhere in Oregon

October - Whiskeytown 50k, Redding, CA (maybe)

December 5 - Desert High 50k, Ridgecrest, CA (this has become a favorite of mine, despite the horrible winds this past year)

It would be dangerous for me to live in Northern California (again).  Sooooo many great choices!  I lived in Danville (East Bay.. trails to Mt Diable out my back door) for a couple of years, but I was not a much of a runner then...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

For me, everything is contingent upon my succesful return from knee surgery on Dec 12th.  I am sending in my entry for Hardrock in July and everything else (racewise) will depend on how successful I am in my third attempt at the lottery to get in!  Return to running scheduled to begin in about a week (or so).

I have to ditto what Lynn said....everything revolves around the Hardrock lottery. Right now I have a 90% chance to get in, so I'm hopeful. Then the rest depends on if and when my house sells to choose my schedule. Right now all I have planned is the VHTRC MLK weekend back to back 50K's on the Massanutten trails in Virginia and a Feb 27th, 71 mile Reverse Ring of the Massanuten Trails. Once I do move though, all the races will be full.

I will be back at the Bear in September and would also like to run Leadville, but only if i'm living in NM at altitude.

Steve

Life is short, play hard!

It would be dangerous for me to live in Northern California (again).  Sooooo many great choices!  I lived in Danville (East Bay.. trails to Mt Diable out my back door) for a couple of years, but I was not a much of a runner then...

Pacific Coast Trail Runs puts on really great runs, and I always high recommend them.  They even have a couple of runs up Mt. Diablo.  Unforunately, everything we can find in OR or CA is anywhere from 4 to 8 hrs away.  Desert High is the farthest I've gone so far, 12 hrs one way.

Runner - Don't know what to tell you about the 24 hr run and then a 34-miler.  I have no experience beyond a 50k at this point.  However, I wish you lots of good luck!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

On On

I have to ditto what Lynn said....everything revolves around the Hardrock lottery. Right now I have a 90% chance to get in, so I'm hopeful. Then the rest depends on if and when my house sells to choose my schedule. Right now all I have planned is the VHTRC MLK weekend back to back 50K's on the Massanutten trails in Virginia and a Feb 27th, 71 mile Reverse Ring of the Massanuten Trails. Once I do move though, all the races will be full.

I will be back at the Bear in September and would also like to run Leadville, but only if i'm living in NM at altitude.

Steve

Steve,

You can always try the NJ Trail Series.  We have a few ultras around here, 2 50Ks, 100K and a 100M.  Plus a 48/24/12/6 hour race in May.

Half way between NH and VA.  Not sure if you are moving to VA but all the races you mention are down there.

I'm noboby, who are you?

Steve

You and Deb are getting to be professional nomads. Is your job changing or simply staying one step in front of Homeland Security. Are you trying to move to NM? I'm starting the year off with the HAT and Bull Run.  You doing either?

NJ is too close and they drive funny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm planning to sign up for Bull Run, after I discovered they have a lottery. The fact that there is a lottery made it less frightening to sign up for Smile

Someone told me that Hat is already sold out.  (Haven't looked.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

jdmcgregor

All business

I have made no plans after February.  The only run on the calendar now is Hagg Lake on Feb 20.  I'm not sure if I'm hoping for rain (hence a fun, muddy, hard run) or dry weather (for a fast time).  Should be fun either way!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I don't post much, but I enjoy and learn a lot from you all. This is my second year doing ultras. I plan on doing a few in Southern California.

Oriflamme 50k i n March http://www.oriflamme50k.com/

Pacific Crest Trail 50 miler  in May http://www.pct50.com/

Nobel Canyon 50k  September http://noblecanyon50k.com/geninfo/geninfo.htm

Lost Boys 50 miler  in October  http://www.lostboys50.com/ (website in the works I hear)

I plan on a 3 mile ocean swim race in September also http://www.ljrws.com/site3.aspx

Anything else will be training races, like the Surf Monkey just because I like the course, food and t-shirts http://www.multisports.com/surfmonkey/swimrun.php

Find the fun.