Ultra Runners

Experienced help appreciated / Cremator 50 Mile Endurance Race (Read 736 times)

AND just an FYI  we get hot and humid here in PA and the 20/24 was EXTREMELY hot the first year. I have to say it was nice sitting in air conditioning through the hottest parts of the day. I think I ended up doing the 50 miles in 15 hours which included the time inside. Of course they  had limited water and had some kind of juice instead of gatorade. However I can't imagine doing that hot of a race unless tuning up for  Badwater. Hats off to you Steph 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

DB / Pam Thank you both.  I think that I get it now!

As far as the heat yeah I would rather not.  But I thought that since it is flat,

close in temp / humidity to the Augusta area and close to home I'd give it a shot.   

But I will be careful.

No Interstate driving either.  Driver or passenger I just don't enjoy the interstate Blush

Pam, you aren't showing up under reports any where that I can see.

steph  

As far as the heat yeah I would rather not.  But I thought that since it is flat,

close in temp / humidity to the Augusta area and close to home I'd give it a shot.   

But I will be careful.

No Interstate driving either.  Driver or passenger I just don't enjoy the interstate Blush

I'm on page 9 (damn there are a lot of members here)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Okay, I see why I couldn't find you.  I was sorting by distance and your miles aren't 

showing in reports so you didn't sort out by distance.

But now that I see you, you're not clickable Confused

steph  

This is basically what I did. I only ran 5 days a week and I think after one really tough week I took 3 days off instead of the normal 2

April I was training for a marathon and my ultra training didn't start until May

May 5th -11th I did a half marathon and then 22 miles the next day. Total mileage for the week was almost 60 miles

May 12-18th  no long run just a couple of mid long runs

May 19th -25th  25 miles then 19 miles the next day  with a total of a little over 67 miles

May 26-June 1st 26.2 and then 16.2 

June 2-8th took 3 days off and did a 13 mile one day and then a double of 16/7 the next

June 9-15 24 miles and then 18.5 with 69 miles for the week. I think that was my mileage peak

June 16th-22  double of 13/12 and then 19.4 the next day with close to 68 miles for the week

June 23rd-29th 21.6 long run and then 10 the next day with a total mileage of 54.6

June 30th  18.2 and then a double the next day of 16/15 with a total week mileeage of 64.7

no more long runs until the week before the Lone Ranger where I did 27 miles. I always took the day before my long run off and the day after the second "long" run off  I think at the time I was supposed to be doing a long run of 4-5 hours and the run the next day was to be around 3 hours.  When it came to my 50 miler I actually enjoyed it despite wearing trainers and the course being 75% pointy good size rocks. 

I think for me that worked since my mileage wasn't all that high and I always had at least 2 days off for recovery

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks Pam.

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

But I will be careful.

Steph are you doing Long Cane  50M /50K 5/6/12. Abbeville,SC

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Nope Ron, I'm going to do Cremator 50 mile in Beaufort in July and FATS 50k at

Sumter National Forest in October.  Also hoping to do Monkey in Nov.  That's all for long 

ones.   There are some 10k's I plan on but that's about it.  Peachtree too.  Are you doing Long Crane?

steph  

Imminent Catastrophe

Nope Ron, I'm going to do Cremator 50 mile in Beaufort in July 

I recommend heat training.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I recommend heat training.

Yup Cool

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Nope Ron, I'm going to do Cremator 50 mile in Beaufort in July and FATS 50k at

Sumter National Forest in October.  Also hoping to do Monkey in Nov.  That's all for long 

ones.   There are some 10k's I plan on but that's about it.  Peachtree too.  Are you doing Long Crane?

Backed off Long Cane.

Run for Kids Challege50K 5/5 ---- Pelham,AL

Darkside 8HR  5/12-- Peachtree City,GA

Bad Marsh 6/23---Beaufort, SC 6PM

Make it by midnight 7/14 Macon,GA

Hot To Trot 8HR(Sweetater Creek ) Litha Springs GA

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

13:28:00.   Last OA.  I actually ran 52.42 miles due to missing a turn towards the end.   Ran the first 25 a little too fast.  

The second 25 miles was much hotter than the first 25 requiring stops every two miles for water refills and ice for bandana.

Temps in the low 90's by afternoon.  But it was fun and I'm glad to have finished.  

Thanks every one for your advice!  Especially DB, Pam and Wriggly Girl.  And WG you were so right about the Ice in the

bandana!  I think for sure that I wouldn't have made it without it!

steph