Ultra Runners

Massanutten (Read 367 times)

Anyone entering the lottery for 2013?

Little different this year, as entry closes Dec 7. I could be wrong, but  I recall that in past years' they waited until after WS lottery to close the entry.

Either way, no cost to throwing your name in the hat. They ask you to pay up after your name is drawn.

DoppleBock

Not this year.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Not this year.

Interested in the rock dance?

Kalsarikännit

I really love that they have a no crew/no pacer division. I wish every 100 did that.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I really love that they have a no crew/no pacer division. I wish every 100 did that.

Not to mention the help of artificial assistance.

Finishers in the Solo Division did not use a pacer or crew and did not receive artificial assistance throught he use of personal listening devices.

From a race management standpoint, I wouldn't care about the headphones/ listening devices. I like the solo division because it reduces the number of cars and crews on the course.

Edit: spelling

KreegSauceRuns

Entered the lottery and unofficially got selected!  Will be my first 100 if my wife OK's it, which I think she is.  It'll be my 31st bday present.

Now to figure out if I need a pacer or not.  Any veterans here have any insight on pacers and/or tips etc. for this race?

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Entered the lottery and unofficially got selected!  Will be my first 100 if my wife OK's it, which I think she is.  It'll be my 31st bday present.

Now to figure out if I need a pacer or not.  Any veterans here have any insight on pacers and/or tips etc. for this race?

Some purists may say no pacer but if it's your first, it's a great mental boost to know someone will be there.

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)
                  KreegSauceRuns

Some purists may say no pacer but if it's your first, it's a great mental boost to know someone will be there.

Thing is, I don't really know anyone that would pace me.  I run/train/race alone.  Not that I choose not to have company, I just started running by myself and always have.  If I did have a pacer, I'd likely just sign up for a random person on the website.  They have a page where you can register as a pacer or as a runner who needs a pacer.    Doing that could be good or bad, depending on the person.  So the alternative would be to just keep doing what I've been doing and go at it alone.

Condolences!

Just kidding...congrats on making the field. I ran MMT in '09 and have paced there three other years. I'm curious, do you live nearby or train on similar terrain?

For comparison purposes, MMT is about 6 hours slower than the typical 100 mile event such as WS, Mohican, etc. Plan on being out on course for that much longer duration. The course is rugged and slow. During the night, the pace slows down significantly - if you can wrap your head around it, consider 2-3 mph as making decent time during the overnight.

As for a pacer, in your first 100 I would recommend taking as much help as you can get. Having someone, anyone, along during the overnight when you're fatigued is helpful to keep you awake and upright.  Another factor to consider is the distance between aid stations. Take a look at previous years' splits to estimate time between aid stations for your estimated pace. There are a few sections that are upwards of 3 or more hour between aid stations.

If you are able to get there, VHTRC has several training runs in the spring. If you can get to any of them it is worthwhile, espeically the Chocolate Bunny.

KreegSauceRuns

I live in NC, about 4 hours away from the race.  I have two mountains 10 min. from my house I train on.  Pilot Mtn State Park and Hanging Rock State Park.  Both are decent climbs and both offer some technical terrain.   So of course training would to be running these a lot obviously.  Not the same as the course, but better than nothing.

I was already banking on 15-20 min. avg pace during the daylight hours and 20-30 min. pace at night.   I'll have to see if I can find someone to pace me.  Will likely use the page on the site where you can request a pacer.  

Thanks for the info on the splits.  I'll definitely check that out.

What kind of mileage per week did you run leading up to it?  What was your finishing time?

I live in NC, about 4 hours away from the race.  I have two mountains 10 min. from my house I train on.  Pilot Mtn State Park and Hanging Rock State Park.  Both are decent climbs and both offer some technical terrain.   So of course training would to be running these a lot obviously.  Not the same as the course, but better than nothing.

I was already banking on 15-20 min. avg pace during the daylight hours and 20-30 min. pace at night.   I'll have to see if I can find someone to pace me.  Will likely use the page on the site where you can request a pacer.  

Thanks for the info on the splits.  I'll definitely check that out.

What kind of mileage per week did you run leading up to it?  What was your finishing time?

Nice to have some sustained climbing nearby. As much elevation change as you can get.

I live in Ohio with very little elevation change or rugged terrain. I did a lot of training in creekbeds to find as many rocks as possible.

I finished in 27 hours...2009 was the year of the torrential rains. One thing about the MMT trail is if it rains you're running in a creek. The water runs off along the line of the trail. If you can prepare for wet feet you wont be surprised come race day.

My log is public. I didn't run a whole lot leading up to MMT, but I had previous experience at MMT including the Chocolate Bunny training run. If you can get to one of the MMT training academy runs, I highly recommend!

KreegSauceRuns

Some of the trails I run at Pilot Mtn state park have multiple creek crossings.  Pretty much every 3 miles or so.  Plenty of time to get my feet wet.

27 hours is a heck of a time for MMT.  I'll def. check out your log.  I have a 100k in Jan., a trail marathon in Feb. that goes up and down Pilot Mtn where I train, and a 50M in April.  So I feel those will all be good runs preparing for MMT.  Not sure if I can swing any of the training runs but we'll see.  Especially the chocolate bunny.

Trail Monster

ASU, if you decide you want a pacer let me know. I'd love to see part of the course and get some rough trail miles in before BR. I think this is about an 8 hour drive for me so nothing I haven't done for a weekend of running anyway!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

KreegSauceRuns

Sounds good.  I just sent you a friend request on FB.