Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

DB (or anyone), have you any handicapping of the field and the competition for the Western States qualifying spots? (Top 2 men and women)

DoppleBock

Yes - in random order

Glen Redpath

Zach Gingerich

Chris Gargner

Cassie Scallon

Christine Crawford

Angie Radosevich

maybe

Sandi Nypaver

A lot of people I do not know - Anyone else want to shout out about an athlete

I will write my complete thoughts in my Blog - 1st week of May

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Very imprortant Ice Age 50 information contained here:  http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/GraffitiBoard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=332

You can see whee my mind is at

jjameson

How about Jim O'Brien (won 50K at MadCity 100K in course record?)

Ahh, now there is some motivation!  I feared that there might be beer like Blatz or Milwaukee's best, such as my Wisconsin dwelling in-laws love.  I was begining to think all Wisconsonites liked to call beer yellow colored water.  I was envisioning running away from the beer at the finish line.

BTW, it has been raining all day, tomorrow's run will be brutal on the trail.  I'll trade the mud any day though for the pain fest from mile 1 onward like my last week has been...  I will do this 50 even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees from the fucking start.

Very imprortant Ice Age 50 information contained here:  http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/GraffitiBoard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=332

You can see whee my mind is at

jjameson

Also I see Chris Lundstrom is signed up.  He has run some FAST marathons (under 2:30)

I'm sure the trail will be muddy/wet tomorrow for the training run.  I'll be there next Saturday for the 20 miler.  I haven't run that section before but understand it is harder than the other sections -- or is it just that everyone is more tired?

Will definitely be drinking some beer after the race.  Doesn't matter what kind.

DoppleBock

What number is Chris Lundstrom - For the life of me I cannot find him listed in the 50M 

Also I see Chris Lundstrom is signed up.  He has run some FAST marathons (under 2:30)

I'm sure the trail will be muddy/wet tomorrow for the training run.  I'll be there next Saturday for the 20 miler.  I haven't run that section before but understand it is harder than the other sections -- or is it just that everyone is more tired?

Will definitely be drinking some beer after the race.  Doesn't matter what kind.

DoppleBock

I am not sure about Jim O'Brien - I had him in the tier #2 with a bunch of guys Who could run 6:50-7:20 - But I think the winner will run < 6:30 and likelt 6:15 give or take

An example @ Des Plaine 50M

Zach Ran a 5:35

Jim was 2nd with 6:48

jjameson

What number is Chris Lundstrom - For the life of me I cannot find him listed in the 50M 

oops, sorry, he's not listed -- thought he was

My run on the Ice age trail was crappy.  My left anterior tibial tendon issue seems to have turned into more of a muscle issue.  The good news is I've been able to run further every day before the pain sets in.

The course was more technical then I expected, with pretty much most of the run after the nordic loop being single track, not all of it being really difficult but with brush starting to grow into the trail forcing you to really stay right on the trail.  I realized pulling off a 7:30 on Ice Age would be a lot more difficult than I originally assumed if I was in top shape.  Now that I have no idea about how well I'll be healed in 3 weeks, my goal is to run as far as I can at around 8:30 - 9:00 minute pace before the pain in my anterior tib kicks in.  I hoping this is at least 30 miles.

Training plan at this point is to attempt 60-80 MPW next two weeks with a 20-30 mile run next weekend depending on how things feel, and basically only do a one week taper since I've already been tapering due to injury.

jjameson

My long run has been kicking my ass.  I haven't run this far in a year or so.  In fact, i'm running more than I did leading up to Leadville.  My legs ache for hours after the long runs and I hobble around.  I think it's a little better than a few weeks ago, but not much.  I think I'll be good in the race up to 35 miles then it may dissolve into "deathmarch" time, and lots of walking.  Luckily I don't have any major injuries, just the usual mild strains, and aches.

Ran 27 today on 2 inches of slushy/snow.  Feet were sopping.  I think I've only run on bare ground a couple of times on the trails, the rest of my runs have been on snow or the road.

My plan is to back down the mileage the next few weeks.  Will do the training run on the Ice Age next Saturday, then back off from there.  I think I need to rest now.  I'm not quite able to recover doing 60-70 mpw which is a lot for me.

Joe

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Yes - in random order

Glen Redpath

Zach Gingerich

Chris Gargner

Cassie Scallon

Christine Crawford

Angie Radosevich

maybe

Sandi Nypaver

A lot of people I do not know - Anyone else want to shout out about an athlete

I will write my complete thoughts in my Blog - 1st week of May

Redpath finished in Top 10 last year so would think he's already got the auto-entry?

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)

I've ran the majority of DPR, and it is nothing compared to even the nordic loop of ice age trail.  Sure there are some rolling hills on DPR, but the entire course is crushed gravel or limestone 3-6 feet wide.  Not sure how that would translate for Zach, but for me it was easily a minute per mile difference at a comfortable pace (7:40- 8:00 easy on DPR, 8:30-9:00 easy on Ice Age). --- So DB your calculation seems pretty accurate.

Over 34 miles of the northern most part of DPR there was a 1000+ feet of elevation gain/loss, compared to 1800+ over half those miles of Ice Age (17). 

I have a new respect for folks that can run 7:30's on single track that is windy and technical, not simply because of maintaining the speed over that distance but how alert you need to be at that speed.

I am not sure about Jim O'Brien - I had him in the tier #2 with a bunch of guys Who could run 6:50-7:20 - But I think the winner will run < 6:30 and likelt 6:15 give or take

An example @ Des Plaine 50M

Zach Ran a 5:35

Jim was 2nd with 6:48

maybe

Sandi Nypaver

Sandi ran a well this past weekend in VA. First place at Promise Land 50k (Her fourth fastest-ever time on the course places her name in some very company.)

She's local and also set CR at the Fools 50k here in late March.

She's one to watch but wonder about how many races is too many.

jjameson

Just for grins, thought I'd see what the over 50 year old course record is to see if I have a shot.  In 2000 some guy named Roy Ekhart (or Erhardt I can't read it on the web page) finished in 6:57:XX.  Glad i don't have to worry about trying for a record!