Ultra Runners

Bull Run 50 Registration Opened up Today (Read 412 times)

I'm noboby, who are you?

Registration(lottery) opened today. They started the lottery a few years back but no one to date has been closed out. With many races, especially quality races like BR, growing rapidly in numbers, it's just a mater of time. My 10th consecutive so I guess you can assume I like the race.   The Virginia Happy Trails Runners, know how to host a race.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I thought it opened Monday. I was all set to sign up until I turned my ankle on Sunday. But I do believe it's an annual event, so it will come around again.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

JohnLacr

Hi,

I'm new to ultra running. I have run 7 marathons and have joined a group of ultra runners and got talked into it. Anyway, I got in to the Bull Run this year and was looking for advice from folks who have run it. I am comming up on my my peak training weeks. I have been averaging 55-65 mi/week, doing the back to back long runs on the weekend. This Sunday I will run my first 31 miler.

I haven't really been able to tell from the maps what the terrain will really be like. I expect there will be hills (but I live in VT where they can't be avoided). Also, my wife is comming down to crew me - from the map it looks like only 4 of the aide stations are accessible by car - is this correct?

Thanks,

John LaCroix

I'm noboby, who are you?

Hi,

I'm new to ultra running. I have run 7 marathons and have joined a group of ultra runners and got talked into it. Anyway, I got in to the Bull Run this year and was looking for advice from folks who have run it. I am comming up on my my peak training weeks. I have been averaging 55-65 mi/week, doing the back to back long runs on the weekend. This Sunday I will run my first 31 miler.

I haven't really been able to tell from the maps what the terrain will really be like. I expect there will be hills (but I live in VT where they can't be avoided). Also, my wife is comming down to crew me - from the map it looks like only 4 of the aide stations are accessible by car - is this correct?

Thanks,

John LaCroix

John, aka Sherpa, compared to VT50 this is much easier. The first 18 miles is an out an back with not much elevation but can be muddy. People tend to run this too hard so enjoy it but don't go nuts.  The rest of it is not bad but still honest. No big pulls but  lots of undulation. What can smack us northerners, is the weather. It can jump to 80+ with humidity and us yankees are  not  prepared for the heat. Wink

The second half is also an oun-n-back  so you get to use each aid station twice. Of my nine finishes I have only need  a crew once and that was one rainy cold year. The aid stations are as good if not better than the vermont races. They will spoil you to no end.

The Virginia Happy trail folks know how to put on a race!!!!! 

See ya there

JohnLacr

Thanks for the info. Oh, BTW - I'm not the sherpa - he's younger and faster.  He ran VCM the year I ran my first marathon and I got exited when I saw my time, until I remembered I wasn't 27 anymore    He lives over the river in NH. 

I can't wait to get down there and get to run in shorts - we got dumped with 20 inches of the heavy stuff yesterday, and it's close to 40 degrees today. I call the slush 'simulated mud' and just put on the trail shoes and plug through it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, I ran the second 2/3 of this course as my only 50K, and I didn't think the terrain was bad -- and I'm a flatlander. There is a little along the creek which is kind of dangerous to run (rocks), so I walked some of that.

I'm noboby, who are you?

I can't wait to get down there and get to run in shorts - we got dumped with 20 inches of the heavy stuff yesterday, and it's close to 40 degrees today. I call the slush 'simulated mud' and just put on the trail shoes and plug through it.

Be careful of you wish for shorts weather. The last two years IIRC the temps jumped into the 80's. If you come from the north that one hell of a shock and hydration/salt becomes a real issue especially if you have no heat acclimation.

The HAT run last week slid into the low 70's and yes I go to run in shorts and tee but it was quite warm and had to turn down the dial.

Let's hope for 60's a sunny as a compromise.

And yes, the rocks by the stream especially about mile 48 when your tired, can be nasty.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

From what I can understand of the VHTRC traffic today, both loops and all of the (BRR) trail are reported to be good for running now (i.e., not blocked by downed trees).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Took me to mile 6 this morning, in a 10 mile hilly race, to pass a guy who did Bull Run yesterday. Geez. I sure didn't do Bull Run yesterday.