Ultra Runners

Ultra runners do it long and slow ... (Read 507 times)

JakeKnight

Nice group y'all have. It'd be nicer if someone would like, you know, talk. Just sayin'. If Lynn or Purdey or Ultrawalker or the rest of you ever come back from your 40 mile training runs, drop some hints and advice for us noobs. Thanks.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

I think I hear an echo... But seriously any advice would be great. Thanks

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

Wasatch Speedgoat

...but don't do it ALL long and slow....never let your speed go like i did the past 5 years. i figured, heck, I never race faster than 11 mpm, so why train fast? I got slower and slower until I had trouble maintaining 11 mpm! Shocked I am back now running intervals one day and a tempo run another.... Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Carl A

I'm new here, and this site is so much better than my homemade spreadsheet. I've been running about eight years of my adult life, mostly after running a local marathon in 1999 on about 40 miles of total training, spread out in the two months before the race. (My longest training run was 5 miles.) Although I survived and finished, I learned that I should have trained a little more, and that I should do a little research into this whole running thing. Fast-forward to January 2007: I got six runners (friends and new acquaintances) to run a free 50K with me. I'm now working on increasing my ability to complete longer runs. Yes, regular speedwork has been good--it has made the "regular" running seem easier! For those looking to learn, here are some library books that have been helping me: The Lore of Running To the Edge A Step Beyond Running through the Wall (in which Steve has an article) Cheers, Carl

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

...yes I do have an article in that book, as well as my wife Smile This is a fantastic website, has all you'd need..a great log, friends to discuss your favorite habit with or anything else, for that matter. Some of my recent favorite books: Duel in the Sun, The Salazar-Beardsley BAA marathon duel of 1982 A Cold Clear Day, the Buddy Edelen story (fastest American in the 60's) Self Made Olympian, Ron Daws Book by the Ghost of Gerry Lindgren (presently reading) Books that are my running bible's: The Van Aaken Method, Ernst Van Aaken Serious Runner's Handbook, Tom Osler

Carl A

I'm actually almost finished with Running through the Wall, which a friend loaned to me a few weeks ago. You and Deb both have great articles--they go well with all of the fantastic ones in there. I especially enjoy articles like yours that speak to the personal side of long-distance running; I'm slowly learning how to make my running work within the entire complexity of living. Thanks for the other titles, as well.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

...yes I do have an article in that book, as well as my wife Smile
                I read that book but I had no idea you and your wife had chapters in it. I'll have to re-read them when I come back home. This is such a great book, truly inspirational. ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Wasatch Speedgoat

I'm actually almost finished with Running through the Wall, which a friend loaned to me a few weeks ago. You and Deb both have great articles--they go well with all of the fantastic ones in there. I especially enjoy articles like yours that speak to the personal side of long-distance running; I'm slowly learning how to make my running work within the entire complexity of living. Thanks for the other titles, as well.
                  Thanks...that run on the Presidential Traverse was a special time. Deb and I were just getting involved after both going through nasty divorces and did that on a whim as training for a 100 in Idaho. My plan was to run the traverse, north to south, then get a shuttle back to the car, but we couldn't find a shuttle that would get us back that same day, so I suggested an out and back and then go back and do the other out and back the following week. Deb being Deb said "Why not just run out and back the whole way?" About 44 miles on the Prezi's, took us about 20 hours, if i remember right, and man were we hurting when we finished. We tried to sleep in the car, but our legs hurt so much we just went back home. Anyway, it was a bonding experience that created a relationship. We started as good friends, eventually got married (on top of Mt Monadnock) and are now "best" friends! If you want to really read a good story in that book, read my bud Blake Wood's story. He is a local here and one of the people that was influential in us moving to New Mexico. I also ran that race that he describes in the book and to this day is still the most difficult thing I've attempted. Steve

Purdey

Self anointed title

Nice group y'all have. It'd be nicer if someone would like, you know, talk. Just sayin'. If Lynn or Purdey or Ultrawalker or the rest of you ever come back from your 40 mile training runs, drop some hints and advice for us noobs. Thanks.
                    Purdey is back.... at last.

Hey Jake - Thanks for getting people up and going. I keep peeking in here, but haven't seen a whole lot going on lately. Since there was some talk of speed work, I'd just like to say I hate it, hate it, hate it . . . . but I understand and agree with its necessity. Blush When my coach puts "intervals" on my training schedule, I send him all the nasty vibes I can muster, and curse him under my breath the entire time I'm doing them. My next step is a voodoo doll. Smile My friend, Karen, and I will be attempting our first ultra through Pacific Coast Trail Runs, a 50k on May 25 at Forest Park, Portland, OR. I'm already nervous as heck about it! Thanks for all the book titles, Steve. I'll be checkin' some of those out. Nice to meet you all!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance