Ultra Runners

Kit Check (Read 431 times)

I just wanted to touch base and get some ideas from you all.

On 28/29th May 2011 I will be undergoing a 145 mile canal run from Birmingham  to London, England; I will be classified as an unsupported runner relying on checkpoints/feed stations which will be situated at 11, 22, 36, 54, 70, 85, 100, 120 and 133 miles. I have to be at the 70 mile checkpoint within 19 hours but have 45 hours to complete the journey.

I am preparing my kit list and I will have only the really necessary stuff such as mini first aid kit, socks, space blanket, head torch and food items. One of the little worries I have is the amount of water I should take between stages being mindfull there is a max of 20 miles between some stages and these are the times I will more than likely walking so could potentially be out for 5- 6 hours. I was thinking 3 x 500mls (3 pints) do you think this is a reasonable amount or too much?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Carl A

If you had water purification tabs, could you refill from the canal water or feeder streams?

I know that the tabs don't kill absolutely everything, but it seems that something like this would be a good fit for this occasion.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

That is an option but the Grand Union Canal is still a working waterway and there will be boat diesel, oil and general crud in there so it is not something I cherish doing Dead

Jerry

Imminent Catastrophe

What kind of temperature do you expect?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What kind of temperature do you expect?

This is England anything between 23 to 86 F Wink

Seriously the average temperature in England in May is about 54 F

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Drinking from the canal is not an option! (Spoken as someone who has been forced to drink from stagnant pools at times - using puri tabs etc). Jerry - I think a full camelback or bladder will suffice you between CPs, especially if you supplement that with a bottle, and drink plenty at the aid stations anyway. (Had my name been pulled from the hat... this is what I would have done).

Hypothetically (since I have no desire to run 145 miles), I would take a lot more than 1.5 liters.

I think you're going to want to focus on getting the job done not worrying about conserving water.  You've put in the training, I'd hate to see you jeapardize the event from not having enough water.

How much do you normally drink on a 6 hour run?

I am a (bloody) yank, so do not know the course but I would think a hydration pack (camelback, nathan, etc) would work fine.

Are there any stores you could pop into on the course (in an emergency) to purchase water?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am a (bloody) yank, so do not know the course but I would think a hydration pack (camelback, nathan, etc) would work fine.

Are there any stores you could pop into on the course (in an emergency) to purchase water?

No stores immediately on the course - would need a detour, so not something to plan on.

On a long Sunday run of about 20 miles I would normally have about 2 pints on fluid and then if I find a church with a tap or a person washing their car ask for a fill up just so I feel happy that I have enough so it can be about 2-3 pints for 20 long run miles. That has been fine over the winter months but I can see that it could be a tad warmer during the day time.

I am thinking of taking on board as much as possible at feed stations and then varying the amounts dependent on the stages between 2 and 3 pints with Nuun. As for shops we will be going alongside small villages and pubs near mooring points so I am hoping fluids will be available especially at locks.

I have seen some pictures and it appears a few are just carrying 2 pints but looking at this picture the lads have got it well sussed

Jerry

Imminent Catastrophe

Hypothetically (since I have no desire to run 145 miles), I would take a lot more than 1.5 liters.

20 miles is a long way, if it were me I'd at least take a full hydration pack (2L) , and that might not be enough, especially if it's a warm day. And I'd practice with it before the event. Can you have a drop bag? If so you could have a bottle waiting at the 36 and 100-mile aid stations for those long legs.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

20 miles is a long way, if it were me I'd at least take a full hydration pack (2L) , and that might not be enough, especially if it's a warm day. And I'd practice with it before the event. Can you have a drop bag? If so you could have a bottle waiting at the 36 and 100-mile aid stations for those long legs.

I totally agree with the practice bit this was the primary reason I was posting here so that I could get a  weight in mind so that I could run with it. The good thing about the approach with 2 litres is at least it will diminish so it will only be the first part when there is the weight.

It will definitely be bottles for me as I dislike bladders as I cannot gauge the amount of fluids I am drinking or have remaining and a real faff to fill up.

Ever checkpoint listed above will have fluids and sports drinks

Jerry

After seeing the picture, I must make an effort to run across the pond

xor

After seeing the picture, I must make an effort to run across the pond

Running across the water is easier in hokas.

Or barefoot.

JC did it a few ears ago and it seems to be making a comeback