Ultra Runners

Hardrock draws near! (Read 410 times)

jjameson

I think battle between Dakota and Hal.  I don't know either but it's fun to watch from the splits.  I'm totally jealous and wish I was there.

Kalsarikännit

I think Diana F dropped.  The site is now wonky.  I really hope she didn't.

I also think Joe P, the race director of Bandera and Rocky Raccoon, has dropped.  Darn it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I also think Joe P, the race director of Bandera and Rocky Raccoon, has dropped.  Darn it.

So has the dude from up here that puts on all the bad ass super hard (but super cool) races, James Varner.  Fooey.

Cgerber made a pretty big move.  He's in 38th through Sherman (70.1)  GO CGERBER!

Kalsarikännit

Yay, Chris!

He really goes out there and does some awesome stuff.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Now 31st.

Looks like this one was Hal's to lose for most of the race. Joseph Grant did quite a lot of catching up over the last 20 miles, but not quite enough.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

On his FB page: 

"Just finished the Hardrock 100 in 37:02!"

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

Yay, Chris!

He really goes out there and does some awesome stuff.  

On his FB page: 

"Just finished the Hardrock 100 in 37:02!"

Amazing!

Chris ran close to a couple of my NE Ohio running club mates, Jim Harris and Cam Baker. I imagine their pleasure kissing the rock!

You'll ruin your knees!

Talked some with Joe P. He said that breathing just got harder and harder each climb. I know and have run with him. I've seen him when it hurt to see him keep going, but he kept going... I am guessing it was bad... Last year he had to take shelter near the summit of Handies in nasty electrical storm...dnf came in the same spot then too! He and his wife stayed in the game and helped his Pacer find another ticket to ride... now on the final leg in from Cunningham! This was a blast to watch!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You'll ruin your knees!

Watch the post-race interview with Hal K... seems like a real class act.  He mentions one place when he, Joe Grant and Dakota were at the top of Virginius in a storm and Dakota (favored to win) helped Hal and Joe with route finding through this section.  I have to say that this section does have some bushwhacking (although it is all rock) and can be confusing... I can only imagine what it must be in the midst of a storm! 

Love, love, love this pic of women's winner Darcy Africa at the finish... Dianna Finkel had about 1.5 hour lead at 85, but dropped due to some issues with symptoms of rhabdomyolysis... all accounts suggest she is fine, just playing it safe. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Tim Long introduced me to Trail Running 4-5 years ago.  From his facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150921393707091

You'll ruin your knees!

That is a good video and does a pretty good job of capturing some of the perspective of the course leading into Ouray from Governor's Basin and then up to the Engineer aid station (campfire at the end).  That aid station is completely packed in there by volunteers who man it from start to finish!  Amazing they have that much stuff at such a remote location (Pole Creek is the same way).  Truly an oasis and a sign that the climb (at least this one) is almost over. 

Thanks for posting! 

Hey all! 

Sorry, long time no see.  Thanks for thinking of me.  Hardrock was a lot of fun again.  Beautiful mountains... just amazing.  Those fast guys are amazing...  boggles the mind to think about running 12 hours faster there. 

- Chris

xor

What I want to know was whether you were a dork or not and if so, did you leave the glasses.

What I want to know was whether you were a dork or not and if so, did you leave the glasses.

My pacer's report from the 2010 race, due to the thread here on RA:

Yoda was Wrong: A Pacer’s Report of the 2010 Hardrock Hundred (by Misti Hurrikane) [Alternate title: Leave Glasses if Dork*]  

Big grin