Ultra Runners

Superior 100M (Read 66 times)

TripleBock

Below is the e-mail I received form my friend ~

By the way, what did I ever do to you, which caused you to suggest Superior to me? You must not like me very much to want me to go through that much suffering. My feet are still not happy with you...

It was very tough. I over dressed a bit, because they warned us about bees, and I didn't want to dnf from a sting. But it was hot and hard, especially after the first 10 miles. It was so long and slow. If Doug O. hadn't come up to pace me, I wouldn't have finished. I met him after 12 hours (44 miles). Finished the first 50 in 14:30 or so. And we ground out the second 50 to finish just under 34 hours.

By mile 20, I wasn't sure why I hated myself so much to do this to myself. Was it really worth a hoodie and belt buckle?

The views were awesome. But the trail ate me up.

I went shirtless most of the night, since I couldn't cool down. My back is raw and feed many bugs.

I'm not sure where I could have gone to train better. But I felt totally unprepared.

There's probably more to tell, but the details are foggy or blocked out by the pain.

Though all in all, I guess I'm happy to have finished and not one of the 91/178 dnfs. I'm still not sure why.

I think you owe me beer.

Talk to you later. Hope things are going well.

Andy

"Henze, Michael" <Michael.Henze@menasha.com> wrote:

Congrats to both of you on your good runs … I hope you didn’t melt anything in the heat you didn’t want to!

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

jjameson

I think your friend, Andy, summed it up excellently, for the 100 milers.

jjameson

I don't think Andy has gotten to that point after an ultra where you say "hmm .... that was kind of fun, I think I could do it again".

TripleBock

He wrote that the day after the race.  It is his 2nd 100 - Other was Kettle 100M

Andy and I had put on a Fat-ass 25/50k early August.  I think the 2014 version will be early November

This is the second Superior 100 race report where I've heard a 100 miler say it was really hard after the first 10 miles.  I don't understand this.  If someone said the course got hard after 40, 60, or 80 miles I would get it, but not 10 miles into a 100...

BTW, what was the river we crossed with what seemed like a 200 foot gorge cut into solid rock.  Was that Temperance river?  That was fucking amazing.

TripleBock

I don't know ... I have had races like that.  Multiple times I have run a good marathon and had it very hard by mile 3.

This is the second Superior 100 race report where I've heard a 100 miler say it was really hard after the first 10 miles.  I don't understand this.  If someone said the course got hard after 40, 60, or 80 miles I would get it, but not 10 miles into a 100...

BTW, what was the river we crossed with what seemed like a 200 foot gorge cut into solid rock.  Was that Temperance river?  That was fucking amazing.

TripleBock

Although I have had it very hard early on and performed poorly also.

In 24 hour races - It it is not as easy as sitting on the couch: drinking beer and watching football on a Sunday afternoon the 1st 8 hours, I am going to have a poor race.

jjameson

Mike, that was Temperance.  Beautiful part of the course!