Ultra Runners

Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run (race report) (Read 262 times)

RunJasonRun

I'm not sure what the etiquette for posting race reports in this forum is, but here's my blog link for those who want to read the full report with photos.

Jason's Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run (Race Report)

Short version:

On December 2, 2012, I completed my third Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run with a finish time of 9:42:44 and improved on my previous course record by almost 20 minutes, placing 85 out of 118 finishers.

I struggled with knee pain during the final ten miles, because of apparent IT band tightness, but I still managed to pull a 40-mile ultramarathon out of my hat less than a month after my first 100-mile race and have some fun in the process.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations, Jason, on both your first 100 and Pine Mountain.

So I guess that you won't be running the

Bartram 100's in Milledgeville?

steph  

RunJasonRun

So I guess that you won't be running the

Bartram 100's in Milledgeville?

Nope. 

I am, however, planning to show up at Bartram in the late afternoon to cheer for some friends and possibly pace one or two of them during the night hours.  I paced a runner there last year and had a lot of fun. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Nope. 

I am, however, planning to show up at Bartram in the late afternoon to cheer for some friends and possibly pace one or two of them during the night hours.  I paced a runner there last year and had a lot of fun. 

Great.  I look forward to meeting you.

I am using it as practice for Umstead.  Only hope to complete the 100k.

Though I did sign up for the 100M.  I've not done more than a 50M previously.

We'll see how it goes.

Would one of your friends be Lia?

steph  

RunJasonRun

Would one of your friends be Lia?

Yes, I ran Lia's race, A Stroll in Central Park, back in 2011, and I always enjoy seeing her at the ultras around here. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes, I ran Lia's race, A Stroll in Central Park, back in 2011, and I always enjoy seeing her at the ultras around here. 

Great!  

I met her at Cremator in July and we ran a bit together there.  

I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

steph  

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice run, Jason. I hated to miss that race this year but my toenails thanked me.

Two observations:

1) nice fleece

2) you put your Pinhoti buckle in a box? Dammit, Jason, put that thing on a belt and WEAR IT!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AT-runner

Tim

Jason, I've always loved your reports.  I think you should be a speaker for motivation at schools.  You would do a great job sharing your weight loss story and success.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

RunJasonRun

I know that some of you are going to want to see the bloody spot on the side of my head from the tree mishap, so here it is...

It's actually worse now, since this photo was taken the morning after the race.  A bit more bruise discoloration.

Duke of the Internet

I can relate Jason.  I still have a scar on my leg from my fall at this race in 2011. 

RunJasonRun

The scar on my head is gone, thankfully.  My right knee is taking its sweet time recovering, though.  I'm using the rest of December for short runs to let myself bounce back before the new year starts.  

Imminent Catastrophe

The scar on my head is gone, thankfully.  My right knee is taking its sweet time recovering, though.  I'm using the rest of December for short runs to let myself bounce back before the new year starts.  

Then it'll be time to start training for the Pinhoti Slam!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016