Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Train harder. 

BTW is there a list of Badwater runners?

I ran 4500 miles last year and I've never sniffed a 3:07 nor a sub 8 50 hour on trails.  (sub 9 once)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Train harder. 

BTW is there a list of Badwater runners?

Dunno.  I haven't been able to find one. I will ask my friends.

Anyone know the total elevation gain/loss for the Ice Age 50M?  I checked the site and found an elevation profile map, but no total gain/loss.  I wanted to compare it to the fat ass 32M I'm running this weekend (Palos Hills Fat Ass) which has around 8600 gain/loss (at least according to my GPS log from last year).

You'll ruin your knees!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

DoppleBock

I am not 100% sure, but I have alwasy heard a number of 7,xxx.  Realitively tame and almost 100% runnable - It is only moderately technical.  There are 1 really short steep that I can be certain I will walk up and likley walk down on the way back.   There are maybe a dozen or so hills that I will power walk - But a strong hill runner would run.

Anyone know the total elevation gain/loss for the Ice Age 50M?  I checked the site and found an elevation profile map, but no total gain/loss.  I wanted to compare it to the fat ass 32M I'm running this weekend (Palos Hills Fat Ass) which has around 8600 gain/loss (at least according to my GPS log from last year).

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Apparently they decided to let more people in ... Total now stand @ 614.

Cassie Scallon crushed it at Glacial this last year - Setting a new women's record @ 7:45

Chris Garder ran a 6:55 @ Voyageur 50M to win and beating Chris Lundstrom and only the 3rd person to crack 7:00 in 29 years.  Glen Redpath's name is near the top of a lot of results. 

I do not know the rest of the people

313 Rick Bothwell 48 M Minnesota Moose Lake

Mar 10, 2011

312 Tom Balzola 67 M Michigan Marquette

Mar 10, 2011

311 Jerry  Vondruska 42 M Illinois Bloomingdale

Mar 8, 2011

310 Sheryl Lambert 43 F California Encinitas

Mar 7, 2011

309 Timothy Bloch 54 M Michigan St. Clair Shores

Mar 7, 2011

308 JoDeen  Hettenbach 47 F Wisconsin Madison

Mar 7, 2011

307 Mark Switala 51 M Michigan Brighton

Mar 7, 2011

306 Glen Redpath 45 M New York New York

Mar 7, 2011

305 Skeeter Moore 47 M Minnesota Duluth

Mar 6, 2011

304 Chris Gardner 34 M Minnesota Duluth

Mar 6, 2011

303 Jean Hougom 47 F Wisconsin La Crosse

Mar 6, 2011

302 Cassie Scallon 29 F Colorado denver

Mar 6, 2011

301 Ted  Pappas 38 M Georgia Alpharetta

Mar 5, 2011

300 Gregory Miller 48 M Ohio Wadsworth

Mar 5, 2011

299 Zach Gingerich 31 M Illinois Aurora

Feb 26, 201

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm looking at the Chippewa Moraine 50k in April, is that the same trail? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DoppleBock

Nope ... Well in a round about sort of way maybe.

http://www.iceagetrail.org/trail-map-and-current-conditions

The Ice Age trail is > 1,000 miles long

The ICe Age 50M is close to Milwaukee

THe Chippewa Moraine 50k is a fair bit north oc Eau CLaire or Choppewa Falls

I'm looking at the Chippewa Moraine 50k in April, is that the same trail? 

Interestingly enough, when I ran the Palos Hills Fat ass last weeked, it showed 27xx gain/loss instead of last year's 86xx via GPS for the same course.  Definitely was a good training course.  Not really any rocks or roots, but plenty of trail wash out, mud, fallen trees, and flooding to keep you alert but not really piss you off.  It was fun and kept me agile out there...

Bring on Ice Age!!!

I am not 100% sure, but I have alwasy heard a number of 7,xxx.  Realitively tame and almost 100% runnable - It is only moderately technical.  There are 1 really short steep that I can be certain I will walk up and likley walk down on the way back.   There are maybe a dozen or so hills that I will power walk - But a strong hill runner would run.

jjameson

East Troy is where I think I am going to stay - $82 Country inn & suites

Website now says $115/night.  "Sigh" guess that's what I get for waiting. 

DoppleBock

Last 2 weekends I have run the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine state forest (Home of Glacial 50M) - Well ... maybe run is overstating it.  I have jogged the flats, powerhiked up and ran down the trails.  They are in amazing shape - very little wet and mud to deal with.  Although the rocks and roots are still there.  I am finding where the batchrooms and drinkable water is hidden.

When I signed up I was thinking a course PR (7:36ish?), things have not went well in training and I will be happy to enjoy the day and drink beer afterward.  If it is a good weather day and my body has an "on" day - Maybe sub 8:00, if not - who cares.

How is everyone else doing?

jjameson

I'm doing pretty well for me.  The main thing is I don't have any major injury and can keep training.  I keep thinking I can have a good race at Ice Age but on my last two 30 milers I felt like absolute crap and it's hard to imagine running 20 more miles the way my legs felt.  Hopefully the training will begin to pay off over the next month.  I'll be doing the "training run" on the trail April 30 (20 miles) if anyone else is around let me know.  Looking forward to beer afterward if I'm coherent (heck, even if I'm not coherent!).

DoppleBock

I am not around as it is my DD#2 Birthday weekend - We will be in the WI Dells - Luckily I can find a lot of good hills there also

I was having a great training season until two weeks ago.  I was averaging 80-90 MPW for several weeks and all my long runs were easy running sub 8 minute miles.  Even the 32 mile trail run I did was a sub 8:40 pace comfortably chatting the whole time with the last 6 miles averaging 7:40's. Then a couple weeks later had a bad day starting with back issues 17 miles into a 34 mile run, then my left Anterior Tib tendon tweaked and hasn't been the same since.  I took off several days last week and couldn't manage a long run.

I'm hoping I can nurse it back to healthy in the 4 weeks remaining without losing all of my base.  I was going to run the 35 mile training run this weekend at Ice Age, but at this point I'm playing every run by ear. Original goal was somewhere around 7:30 for the race, but now I have no idea what my strategy will be.  If everything magically heals and I only lose 1 week of training, I'll still go for 7:30, if things do not heal up quickly, I'll shoot to finish.

I'm also going to be down at the Illinois Marathon next weekend cheering my wife on as she hopefully goes sub 3:30, so won't be there.  If you are doing the run this weekend, let me know as I'm planning on going unless this week sucks really bad. 

DoppleBock

Flatfooter - I wish I was in better shape we could have run together.  Although last time I did Ice Age - I ran the 1st 30-35 mile pretty easy and did run harder until 15 to go and put the hammer down the last 9.8.  It was not a montrail race that year and the trail was not congested - It was pretty easy to move up spots from mid 30s at 10 miles to mid 20s at 1st turnaround to 4th or 5th at 2nd turn around.

My guess is it will be tougher this year to move up, so I might run a little faster in the 1st 10 miles - THis is the easiest part of the trail and 100% runable.