Ultra Runners

A sad loss (Read 528 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Jerry let me know of the sad death of George Dayantis. George was a regular in the England Ultra Team and has won events such as the historic Barry 40 (last 3 times) and the Crawley 12hr race. He was an exceptional athlete and one God's better creations, a true gentleman. He was 49. The email below was sent to the organisers of the Barry 40: It is with great regret that I must inform you that my husband, George Dayantis died suddenly in the early hours of 6th June. The coroners report found that he had an ischemic heart condition ( his heart had apparently been slowly failing with his arteries closing up) and were surprised that this could happen in a person as fit as George. We are all devestated by this but I felt that I should let you know as the Barry 40 was a race he loved paricipating (and winning!!) in. Sincerely Carole Dayantis

Kalsarikännit

That is so young.  What a shame.  This reminds me to not put off the things that I really want to do with my life.

I hope his family is doing well.  It was very kind of his wife to share his love of the race with the race director at such a difficult time.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Carl A

It was very kind of his wife to share his love of the race with the race director at such a difficult time.

Too true.

I hope that they are finding consolation in their loss.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I ran with [read as ran behind] George on two seperate occasions at a 12 hour track race in Crawley , South England, he was incredible with an absolute even pace for some 8 hours of the race. In April he was again on fire as he blistered around the track until he was seen to fall around 10-11 hour when he suffered severe cramps in the legs. It appears he had run a extremely fast 100km race the weekend before and his recovery was just not that fast enough as his calves went into spasm.

He was one of those runners that was so gifted but at the same time humble, quite and unassuming off the field but gave many of the other runners a great race due to his natural competitiveness, we could all learn a lot from his manner.

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

IronChamp

Words fail.  Our deepest sympathies to Carole and her family on such a sad occasion.

Brilliant in both work and running, George was a very modest man and a great inspiration to family, friends & many runners in his planning and determination to do his best...

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=54614 

He started running at 29 in 1990. Approaching 50, he was still doing PBs and breaking Greek national records His best ever time for a marathon was recorded at the Barry 40 (2:48:20 in 2010), and he still had 14 miles to go at that pace!

His delight and humility at being voted club runner of the year (Christchurch Runners) in 2008 says it all, which I have respectfully copied here...

----- Original Message -----

To: <snip>

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:39 AM

Subject: Thank you

First there was disbelief (still is!), but having refreshed the page and looked again, I guess it must be true. There normally is an announcement (email?) – maybe I missed it. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I just happened to glance at the trophies page of our club’s website, when I noticed my name at the very top! What can I say? I am really moved and honoured and I still can’t figure out what I’ve done to deserve this. I know I am passionate about running (perhaps more than is considered normal), but that’s about it! Running is a fundamentally solo pursuit (at least for me), but I’ll say this again and I really mean it: Our club training days are the highlight of my week. There’s always the right level of competitiveness and fun to make them a rewarding experience, and that’s down to all the personalities involved and the runner’s spirit. Which is why I wish I could continue to be part of it for as long as I run.

Thank you guys (and gals). This really means a lot to me.

Regards

George

IronChamp

Carole Dayantis has passed on the funeral arrangement details...

Thursday, 16th June @ 11am

All Saints Parish Church

Ringwood Road Service Road

St Ives

Ringwood

BH24 2NS 

All are welcome to attend.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks IronChamp - very sadly I have another funeral to go to on that day. By the way - were you a member of RA before George's death?

IronChamp

Sorry to hear your news also, Purdey

(scuse me for signing up to post a reply to Carole, but have been running since I was 30 like George, and triathloning since I was 47)

Purdey

Self anointed title

No excuse needed! Thank you very much for posting that, and welcome!

DoppleBock

Before this - I knew nothing of the man - 

In the day of dark super heros and shady athletes - all who become heros to childeren and adults - This man is the role model, can supply the inspiration we need to acheive.

IronChamp - Welcome,

I hope you decide to stay. 

Sorry to hear your news also, Purdey

(scuse me for signing up to post a reply to Carole, but have been running since I was 30 like George, and triathloning since I was 47)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

Approaching 50, he was still doing PBs and breaking Greek national records

This is particularly remarkable... given that a certain somebody set most of them.... Kouros. George's pace hardly slowed from his marathon pb to his 50/100k times.

xor

No excuse needed! Thank you very much for posting that, and welcome!

Yes indeed.