Ultra Runners

It's a war out there! (Read 367 times)

jjameson

NFI

Got clobbered today by the deerflies.  Nice to get some payback!

xor

Is there a picture in that post?  I don't see it.

Wait.  It was slow to load.  Now I see it.

But I don't get it.

Now I see a caption and I get it.

EWWWWWWWWWWW.

You'll ruin your knees!

Had to look closely... flypaper on hat loaded with the little biting buggars! Nice...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Nice, did it keep them from biting the rest of you or just take care of some of them?  

I hate those stupid insects, not sure what is worse running through a swarm of gnats so thick you they coat your lungs or stupid deerflies swarming around your head for hours.  If they would just land already...

jjameson

If there are just a few around that keep bombarding your head, the fly patch helps I think.  However, today I was running through areas where they were numerous, landing, and biting my neck, the backs of my arms and biting through my shirts.  It was horrible until I gave myself a talking to and calmed myself down ("now Joe, it's just some flies, they aren't going to kill you").

So if there are a lot it helps some.  The best thing is just getting some payback ....With deerflies and me, it's personal.

DoppleBock

I am gving these a try - I figure with the volume I faces last Friday - I need 2 strips on my hat and 2 on my camel back.  If it does not lessen the problem, I am done trail running for awhile.  I found the 30 minutes pre-post sunset the buggers were the most agressive.  The 3 hours before that I was getting bit maybe once per 5 minutes.  These 60 minutes I was getting bit 4-5 times a minute. 

If there are just a few around that keep bombarding your head, the fly patch helps I think.  However, today I was running through areas where they were numerous, landing, and biting my neck, the backs of my arms and biting through my shirts.  It was horrible until I gave myself a talking to and calmed myself down ("now Joe, it's just some flies, they aren't going to kill you").

So if there are a lot it helps some.  The best thing is just getting some payback ....With deerflies and me, it's personal.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

Man, I'm glad I live in Seattle where the most I have to do is dodge bears.

You'll ruin your knees!

I learned the hard way that you can use a handkerchief (preferably wet) under your hat and covering your ears and neck to help keep them from biting back there.  It doesn't stop the dive bombers hitting you in the back of the head, but cuts WAAAAAY down on the number of successful attempts at biting.  As for biting through a light shirt, I also found that a tech shirt worn under another shirt that is more loose fitting (picture the two materials sliding against each other as you move down the trail/road) that keeps the little devils from getting a good shot in... For me, the outer shirt was something very light and loose and long sleeved to keep the sun off...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jjameson

Yeah, I have really short hair, so a bandana around the neck sounds like a great idea.  So does the two shirt approach.

If it is really bad, I tend to stick to the road or run on the bike path.  Flies aren't as bad on the road for some reason.

DoppleBock

When you are a big horse the horse flys are always bad. 

Yeah, I have really short hair, so a bandana around the neck sounds like a great idea.  So does the two shirt approach.

If it is really bad, I tend to stick to the road or run on the bike path.  Flies aren't as bad on the road for some reason.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dang!

Man, I'm glad I live in Seattle where the most I have to do is dodge bears.

Me, too.  Except I live in Eureka. 

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

Not just a bandana around the neck, but worn under the hat (unfolded) and hanging down to cover neck and ears... if it is hot, wet the bandana for magical coolness (both physical and social...Wink

That is nasty!   I have never had to deal with those things!

Michelle

RunsOnDirt

A deer fly repellant I heard about is fabric softener dryer sheets. Rub them on your clothes and/or pin them to your hat or shirt. That helps for me in the Michigan woods, but I also enjoy nailing them with the deer fly patches.

PRs in my 5th decade: 5K - 19:56 10K - 43:45 10 M - 1:14:12 Half Mary - 1:39:27 Full Mary - 3:34:12 (BQ)