Ultra Runners

Superior 100 (Read 88 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've been eyeing the Superior Sawtooth 100, but decided to run something else instead this year (still thinking about Grindstone 100).

I've run Eastern States 100, which compares to Superior in terms of technicality and elevation gain. I've also run MMT100, which had a lot of mud and is also considered very technical. With these two races in mind, I'd say patience definitely helps on such "slow" courses with not too many runable sections. Don't get frustrated about the slow pace, and have your lights for the night ready rather earlier than later.

I did not change socks at ES100 and got through the race just fine. I just used lots of vaseline for my feet and did not get any blisters or hot spots.

At MMT100, I decided to change socks around mile 75 (against all my previous experiences). Bad idea. I ended up with a pair of socks that was too thin and not very suitable for the lots of mud and wetness. Soon I developed hot spots on my soles, and even though I ended up with just one blister on the side of my heel, I suffered from a lot of pain on my soles due to friction.

My experience is that if you have socks that work great in mud, stick with them, don't change, just use lots of lube.

If you do decide to change, make sure you'll have another pair of socks available later, too, in case the pair that you change into does not work so well.

Run for fun.

Hey Dopplebock!

Hope all is well with you.. take care,

John

Hello to the beast from Sleepy Eye

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I want to run the SHT 100 one day. I've hiked chunks of it over my life. So very pretty!

I want to run the SHT 100 one day. I've hiked chunks of it over my life. So very pretty!

I've ran the 50 once and the 100 once.  I'm glad I did both because chances are you will not get to see some of the amazing views if you just run the 100 because you will be running in the dark.  Temperance river (I think that was it anyway) was one of the most amazing sights ever with a 200 foot gorge cut into what looked like granite during the 50 but all I saw was blackness at night and heard the rushing of the river during the 100.  There is also something very special to me about the remoteness and ruggedness of the north.  When you are out there, you can share your pain and suffering one on one with the wilderness and from where I was at encountered maybe 10-15 runners the entire race.

DoppleBock

You are not getting any younger sweetheart!

Do it while you can!  Get the Nashvillians to take a road trip ... there is a marathon and 50 mile race.

I will never get the opportunity to run it, but I would love to take a few weeks and hike it all.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I will never get the opportunity to run it, but I would love to take a few weeks and hike it all.

+1 to this.  I don't think my body will ever let me run an ultra again, but I plan on hiking the entire trail someday.  One of my favorite places.

Running is dumb.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A through hike would be fine too.

And ya, the Temperance River Gorge rocks.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I marvel at how casually you people speak of running 100's and technical 100's no less.

One, Done and Thankful!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jjameson

It's looming.  I'm only doing the 50.  Long range forecast is not too hot thank God!

Almost go time!!

Gator eye

I m bib #215 and will be wearing a old straw hat if your feeling chatty Friday morning

I probably will not be very aware of my surroundings on race day so  just in case my bib # is 43.  I will be wearing as little as possible but likely either a chartreuse singlet or short sleeve tee that says Fargo Pace team.

bhearn

Kill it, guys!