6 Day Races (Read 416 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Anyone got any experience of them?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You'll ruin your knees!

Anyone got any experience of them?

No direct experience, did a 48 hour once and learned that a finish line that has a fixed latitude/longitude work better for me.  Once I found out that I could make just as much progress toward finishing sitting in my warm truck as running out in the cold wind... well... anyway...

I did meet a dude that puts on a 6 day out in Arizona...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

The finish line thing is an issue for me too. 

I guess I will just have to get over it.

I have no idea how to approach this and I suspect that there are as many different approaches as there are 6 day runners.

Thinking about something like 4hr run / 2hr sleep... repeat 23 more times.

Jeez Tom, that is one big call and you will be not just fighting distance but sleep deprivation as well. Where are you thinking of doing this?

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi Jerry.  I put money on you noticing this!!

The race isn't planned yet and is a bit "hush hush".  RD is Pam.  I am involved in securing the venue.  (Big job - tough task - she needs a flat 1km tarmac loop, lit at night, showers, changing and on-site catering facilities. Heh.)  I am scoping one of the London 2012 venues for her.

It is likely to be a Festival of Ultra Running and will probably include a 24hr, 48hr, 72hr and the 6 day.  Hopefully will be IAU endorsed, maybe bronze label, and will attract significant international attention.

Oh - Aug 2011.

Purdey

Self anointed title

you will be not just fighting distance but sleep deprivation as well.

With a 4/2 split I get 6hrs rest per day - probably translates into 5hrs sleep max per day.  You are right, but that is about what I get now (admitedly I haven't been running for the other 18hrs of the day).

Hi Jerry.  I put money on you noticing this!!

The race isn't planned yet and is a bit "hush hush".  RD is Pam.  I am involved in securing the venue.  (Big job - tough task - she needs a flat 1km tarmac loop, lit at night, showers, changing and on-site catering facilities. Heh.)  I am scoping one of the London 2012 venues for her.

It is likely to be a Festival of Ultra Running and will probably include a 24hr, 48hr, 72hr and the 6 day.  Hopefully will be IAU endorsed, maybe bronze label, and will attract significant international attention.

Oh - Aug 2011.

Cool, if this gets of the ground this could be a real target race for me...I am (secretly) thinking that 2011 will be the year I become a Centurion and 24 hour circuited run would be perfect

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Cool, if this gets of the ground this could be a real target race for me...I am (secretly) thinking that 2011 will be the year I become a Centurion and 24 hour circuited run would be perfect

I might try to become a QuintaCenturion.... hang on .... grabs calculator... no I won't.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Happy

Tom,

Thank you for the link to the 6 and 10 day events. Reading some of the stories is very inspirational. I am looking forward to hearing more about how you take this project on. I think you are right about there being as many different approaches to preparing for a 6-day event as there are 6-day runners; then again, that might only be a handful.....

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB