Ultra Runners

Paleo for endurance running (Read 61 times)

Home Away From Home

I don't often post here but follow here almost daily.  I have been reading a book about the Paleo diet dedicated to the endurance athlete. It is doing a great job of covering nutrition for endurance events through 8-12 hour workouts, 24 hour events and the like so it is definitely relevant to the ultra runner. Aline's in need of improving nutrition a bit. I eat pretty good, like my vegetables, but still could use some improvement plus drop a few pounds.  I have heard good things about paleo but know the original diet plan does not allow for the proper intake of nutrition we need for endurance events and workouts.  Are any of you on the Paleo or Paleo for endurance athlete plans and offer any pro cons or thoughts?

I want to get through my 50 miler in few weeks and then after that look at transition over to something a little more structured then my current make it up as a go along nutrition regiment.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I don't often post here but follow here almost daily.  I have been reading a book about the Paleo diet dedicated to the endurance athlete. It is doing a great job of covering nutrition for endurance events through 8-12 hour workouts, 24 hour events and the like so it is definitely relevant to the ultra runner. Aline's in need of improving nutrition a bit. I eat pretty good, like my vegetables, but still could use some improvement plus drop a few pounds.  I have heard good things about paleo but know the original diet plan does not allow for the proper intake of nutrition we need for endurance events and workouts.  Are any of you on the Paleo or Paleo for endurance athlete plans and offer any pro cons or thoughts?

I want to get through my 50 miler in few weeks and then after that look at transition over to something a little more structured then my current make it up as a go along nutrition regiment.

I used the plan and dropped quite a bit of weight and felt good overall.  The workouts suffered for a few weeks.  I adopted the recommendations for for carb intake primarily as recovery (the books recommends a little before, during, after).

I've been more loose this year but know to watch refined carb intake (breads, cereals, "whole grain" XXX).  I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and haven't seen too much difference in weight gain.  I do eat the refined stuff but usually shoot for post long workouts or if I am just feeling like I want it.  I would recommend finding some comfort foods to get you through (Almond butter for me) but be wary of the "paleo" sites online with great recipes. Many have honey, agave, etc that sounds au naturale but are crap.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Home Away From Home

I used the plan and dropped quite a bit of weight and felt good overall.  The workouts suffered for a few weeks.  I adopted the recommendations for for carb intake primarily as recovery (the books recommends a little before, during, after).

I've been more loose this year but know to watch refined carb intake (breads, cereals, "whole grain" XXX).  I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and haven't seen too much difference in weight gain.  I do eat the refined stuff but usually shoot for post long workouts or if I am just feeling like I want it.  I would recommend finding some comfort foods to get you through (Almond butter for me) but be wary of the "paleo" sites online with great recipes. Many have honey, agave, etc that sounds au naturale but are crap.

Thanks Hoosier, that is good to know that it does work and that you can actually still train eating following it.  I agree with the extra intake of carbs as needed.  I need to learn to stay away from the bread and all love it to much. Thanks again.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

mananingot

Not sure what to call my diet. But I cut out all hightly processed food , food that contains processed food, dairy, and alcohol. I reduced my grain consumption and replaced it with more vegetables and fruits. Basically all the good stuffSad gone. I eat more meat and fish and lots of eggs, use good oils- olive and flaxseed oils unheated. Working well for training and recovery.

Diet is just one of the entire spectrum. You might be overtrained or might be doing too much intense training. There might be some stress factors that's affecting your ability to absorb your training. Have you read Phil Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance training and racing? A good material to add to your shelf..

Home Away From Home

Mananingot-

haven't read that book yet but will check it out.  I do have stress sure, first 50 miler in 3 weeks so I am training hard, though getting into taper now.  Just glad to hear people are successfully running on a diet like this.  I like the idea of ridding myself of all the processed stuff but meant to make sure I can still function on a 20-30 mile run.

MM#5768