Ultra Runners

Desitin for prevention (Read 557 times)

Roch

Has anyone ever used Desitin on their feet/toes for lubrication/anti-blister purposes?  If so, did you find it hold up to getting wet or does it wash off faster?  Also, how long did you find it lasted before reapplication was necessary?

I did a 20M using it as a test today and it seemed to have done the job, but it's hard to tell as a 20M is so short in preparation for a 50M/100M.  The 50M I'm running is in 2 weeks and I may just use it there as well.

You'll ruin your knees!

I have generally avoided Desitin on my feet, but have used it for the nether-regions with success.  For feet, I have used Body-Glide with some success and still swear by a product called Blister Shield.  I have run multiple mountain ultras with almost no foot problems (wet/cold/dry/dusty...) 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Roch

Any particular reason as to why you've avoided using it on your feet?  Or is it just a standard practice for you to do so?

I'll have to check out the blister shield recommendation.  Thanks.

Any particular reason as to why you've avoided using it on your feet?  Or is it just a standard practice for you to do so?

I have not tried it.  I just thought of Desitin as an after the fact medicine, not as a lubricant/ant-blister purpose.

Another recommedation for the blister shield here.  Especially the powder for the feet.  Just put some in your socks and you're good to go.  You can even preload a pair of socks to change into if you need to plan on a shoe/sock change.

You'll ruin your knees!

For me, I typically don't like the slimy, gooey slopping around in my shoes sensation when I used any kind of lubricant.  Body Glide was only for my toes... not too gooey. 

As Steve suggests, you can pre-load socks with Blister Shield.  I used to pre-load all my socks and carry them in sandwich bags...easy to store in drop bags and in a pack for longer segments.  Just a teaspoon in each sock, shake and bag...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Roch

Thanks for the recommendation.  I went ahead an bought the blistershield.  I'll give it a go next Sunday on a 10-15M, not that it's going to test anything really.  It'd be more for my mental stability come race day if I decide to use it.

As far as that whole "never try anything new on race day" rule... meh!  lol.

Ostrich runner

Skin suit

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum