Ultra Runners

Weekend Trail / Ultra reports 11/5-11/7 (Read 421 times)

DoppleBock

Its nice to hear what people are do / racing.  Usually we do a bit more on the weekend.

I had a nice relaxing time in the woods (Which is unusaul for me) - Ran 23 ish miles in @ 3:21 through a state and county park - 6 nice bigger hiils and some technical trails.  Started @ 5:15 with a headlamp and with all the leaves it was hard to see the rocks and roots - Took 2 diggers before it was light.

My goal was to get some (Light to miderate) downhill pounding on the quads without getting overall too beat up - I think I accomplished that and still made it back for church.

Now if the Packer's can just win!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude.  You cannot train for Monkey.  Why even try?

xor

I ran a 50k with 4 miles of bushwacking in the middle yesterday.  I certainly got whacked.

Today the Seahawks stunk up the place, and now the Cowboys are doing the same thing.

xor

Here is a race report by a friend for the same race I did.  You really want to read what happens to him in the middle.

Oh, the creek he mentions toward the end?  That was about M15 of the 32 miler.  I fell in.  The water was, maybe, 40 degrees. The air was, maybe, 50 and raining.  I was very cold after that.

DoppleBock

???????

All those drinks I had in October were in vain ???

Fine, then I will not have any more until I finish Monkey ... I actually had 0 last week and that was difficult Saturday whilst my wife was have a couple tall ones at TGIF ... and watching the Packer / Dall Ass game last night. 

Dude.  You cannot train for Monkey.  Why even try?

DoppleBock

Here is a race report by a friend for the same race I did.  You really want to read what happens to him in the middle.

Oh, the creek he mentions toward the end?  That was about M15 of the 32 miler.  I fell in.  The water was, maybe, 40 degrees. The air was, maybe, 50 and raining.  I was very cold after that.

Hah - His report was interesting - Was the course that poorly marked or is he really bad at following directions???

I went out for a gentle 24 miles on Saturday with only about 1 mile on roads to connect us between paths. A nice damp start that was warm and bright towards the end which allowed me to let my sunglasses an airing.

Really pleased with minimal eating and drinking which comprised banana (at the start), a choccy chew bar, half a satsuma and a gel (about 350 cals). I was going to go for a run yesterday but life got in the way and eneded up in th back yard.

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily

Kalsarikännit

I did the Pinhoti 100 this weekend. It was a well organized race in Eastern Alabama that takes place in the start of the Appalachians.

The first half was all on the Pinhoti Trail, which was very pretty. There were lots of roots and rocks covered by fallen leaves, so I fell a lot. I was already donating blood by the first aid station. We ended up climbing up Mt. Cheaha which is the high point of Alabama. I was at a sub-24 pace the first half. The second half was a mix of trail and jeep roads thrown in. The trails became much rockier and more technical I wish I was able to run better at night, but I had really done a number on one of my ankles over the course of the race. It was not in good shape and I was moving very gingerly. Actually, I was running like a scared old lady. All that, and the fact that I am not in very good 100 mile shape, made for one of those races where the last 20 miles took an ETERNITY.

I was very lucky to have another one join me at mile 55 as my pacer. He did a great job. I told him that I didn't need a pacer as much as a babysitter! I am bad with fueling, and he made sure that I was on a gu schedule. No arguing was put up with. I have done all of my 100's without a crew or pacer. This was a nice change and I will admit that it helped me out a lot.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Nice to see you made it and that A1 was useful Smile

Kalsarikännit

I have A1 helping me at my last 100, DB at my last 24...

I am definitely the most spoiled girl in all of running.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Hah - His report was interesting - Was the course that poorly marked or is he really bad at following directions???

The course was marked fine... I didn't get lost and I started 45 minutes before he did IN THE DARK.  The first 11 miles were on logging roads.  Now, if you don't know, a logging road is less like a road and more like a very wide trail, sometimes with extra gravel.

Lots of intersections and other roads to take us off course, but all (well, most perhaps) were marked.  The issue, which happens on races in the forest, is that the markings happened to use the same color ribbons that the logging company used for certain things.  Every now and then, you'd come to a pink ribbon and have to make the call about whether that was for the race or not.  It wasn't that hard... ribbons wrapped around trees were not the race, ribbons attached to handmade signs with odd numbers like "116" were not the race (I think that's how the logging company marks their temporary roads).  NEW ribbons tied to brush, probably the race.

This guy came to a gate that had a big ass KEEP OUT sign and he didn't see the sign.  Oooops.

That said, the race started with us having to vault over another gate.  And there was at least one other gate on the course.  So just the action of "deal with a gate" wasn't enough. 

Anyway, I thought it was marked ok.

xor

Good job at Pinhoti.  Fallen leaves are evil.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, I just rediscovered the dangers of fallen leaves this weekend too, although I ran a tiny fraction of what others ran (esp WG!). Need leaves to be more transparent.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

Yeah, I just rediscovered the dangers of fallen leaves this weekend too, although I ran a tiny fraction of what others ran (esp WG!). Need leaves to be more transparent.

Our you need x-ray vision

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WOW. I am glad my 1st attempt at 50k is on a golf path. Now to get over this darn head cold before Sunday.Yesterdays 5 miler was like a death march.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/