Ultra Runners

The Marathon (Read 322 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am more concerned / apprehensive about running a marathon than a 100 mile race.  Yes, I can finish a marathon but I need a 3:15 for Boston - that is all that matters.  PR is 3:30.  Of 5 marathons, only one was a good race.  Just wanted to put this out there.  May try again in October after a couple months recovery.  My fitness is much better than ever before ... not sure what it is but there is a mental barrier to thinking I can endure a 7:27 pace for 26.2. 

Done whining - just wondered if anyone has suggestions / thoughts?

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Can't help you there... that stuff is way too fast and painful.  Ouch.

Good luck though!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am more concerned / apprehensive about running a marathon than a 100 mile race.  Yes, I can finish a marathon but I need a 3:15 for Boston - that is all that matters.  PR is 3:30.  Of 5 marathons, only one was a good race.  Just wanted to put this out there.  May try again in October after a couple months recovery.  My fitness is much better than ever before ... not sure what it is but there is a mental barrier to thinking I can endure a 7:27 pace for 26.2. 

Done whining - just wondered if anyone has suggestions / thoughts?

Take a look at Pete Pfitzinger Advanced Marathoning. You probably just need the speed work outs to break down the mental barrier.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Without knowing how you train now it is tough to say. Racing 26.2 should be way easier then racing a 50 or 100. If you are properly trained it shouldn't get hard until the last 10k. The fundamentals of marathon training are: long runs, speed training, and volume. I would agree with runnerclay, a copy of the pfitz book would be a good start.
          HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Without knowing how you train now it is tough to say. Racing 26.2 should be way easier then racing a 50 or 100. If you are properly trained it shouldn't get hard until the last 10k. The fundamentals of marathon training are: long runs, speed training, and volume. I would agree with runnerclay, a copy of the pfitz book would be a good start.

Thx guys.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            jjameson

To race a fast marathon you have to have some FAST and HARD training days.