Ultra Runners

Bratram 50k (Read 439 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Quote Modify posted: 11/27/2010 at 5:56 PM
    modified: 11/27/2010 at 6:02 PM

50k 6:36:00. Started 4 minutes late putting on knee braces. 40F at the start with 10 mph wind gust. Knees start their thing at mile 6. On lap 2 walked 1/4 mile to car to find knee straps. Not in car.Apparently left at home. Stopped several times to make adjustments. The course was really clean for a trail. Very few roots.The gravel roads were a bit much. Most people just run on the side of road for these areas. No major hills. Mile 18 energy level dropped. Drank 1cup of water and 1 cup of powerade at each aid station(2). Aid stations about 2.6 miles apart. Mile 21( 5th loop) decided to eat a banana. Ate 1/3 of it. Stomach upset. Put it down. Mile 22 the banana came back up. Reflux. Next 9 miles 1 cup of water or powerade at each station  with a GU gel. Last loop wanted to pick up the pace and not go over 15:00 pace. By  mile 20 I am ruining .25 sections before walking. Made up my mind to not let any one pass me. Mile 26 a guy gets with 20 yards as I walk. The next mile I did in13:41.

Miles 26 to finish line. It was a great event. Received a ginger bread-man for finishing.Smile 2nd 50k in 13 days.

Interval 1 Mi 13:41.---      

Interval 1 Mi 15:12----      

Interval 1 Mi 13:11.----      

Interval 1 Mi 11:54----.          
    interval 1 Mi 12:23----.      

Interval 1 Mi 13:51.61      

Interval 0.85 Mi 8:58.92      

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Tasty Pie

I think I found the only root!  It took me down at mile 1.1, on a really clear flat stretch!  If only someone had been waiting and ready with a video camera, from my viewpoint my dive into the dirt was pretty impressive.  A systems check didn't feel like it had done too much damage immediately but soon the twinge in my hip where I impacted just grew and grew. Spent the rest of the 50k just pushing through, determined not to let such an early fall be game over.

Agreed about the gravel, glad I didn't wear my VFFs that would have been the pits. Trails were clear and very nicely maintained, with little elevation to really speak of, but I think they were still tough. All that grass and sand was very wearing, I definitely struggled to get a good leg turnover on the terrain.

Hope you also took advantage of wading into the lake at the end? That was awesome! 

Tasty Pie

Oh, and yes, I just delurked because that was my first 50k. Whoo hooo! Big grin

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well congrats to runnerclay on pushing forward after the banana came back up, and for doing two 50Ks close together.

And congrats to TP for debut. Hope hip is better soon. I'm off to a trail run in the same park we did one Fri, where I took a nice dive in front of others. C'est la vie (& happily no injury).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Oh, and yes, I just delurked because that was my first 50k. Whoo hooo! Big grin

Congrats! Smile

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Tasty Pie

Thank you. Big grin

I got around to getting my Bartram 50k blog entry up this weekend:

Bartram 50k

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

TP: Great report, and nice photos -- I took the ground crawling one for "just fallen" reenactment shot.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thank you. Big grin

I got around to getting my Bartram 50k blog entry up this weekend:

Bartram 50k

Great report.  I am considering their mid-night marathon in June.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter