Ultra Runners

What I've learned (feel free to join in) (Read 814 times)

jjameson

Keep JJameson un-injured and he turns into an ultra beast

Ha, that is a bunch of BS!

jjameson

Now for serious ones

6)  You can get away with back to back hard workouts - Only sometimes.  Eventually they start to take a toll and break you down.

7)  A series of good workouts (say ever other day) is better than 1 great workout you take the rest of the week to recover from

8)  You only need to run really long (30-50 miles) 2 times a month

9)  I will take one 30-40 mile run any day over back to back 20s

11)  Its easier to run an ultra at 200 pounds than it is at 228 pounds

Totally agree.

Even at #220 you can kick my a$$.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Dump the Garmin and run based on feel

Dump the  run based on feel and run my Gamin(HR).

FEEL = DNF

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Carry TP

Losing a week of training due to injury or other setbacks will not ruin your race.

Expect the unexpected-> some or many things you experienced during training will not hold true during the race.

Taking a wrong turn or losing the trail will not ruin your race

1. You can't bank time. 

2. There are no places to hide shitting above treeline *or* when you live out on the plains where there are no trees.  A whole building full of office workers got to see that one in action last year.  Undecided

3. Don't sit in the chairs and stay the hell away from the heaters/campfires at the aid stations.

4. Take lots of photos, sometimes it hard to account for large blocks of time!  Smile

DoppleBock

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

If that is the rule - I should be taking pictures every day .... What were we talking about again?

4. Take lots of photos, sometimes it hard to account for large blocks of time!  Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

If that is the rule - I should be taking pictures every day .... What were we talking about again?

Get off my lawn!  Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

1. You can't bank time. 

...you say potato...

4. You can't put miles in the bank.

MTA: 9. When in a lightning storm at 13,000, there are no low places in which to take cover... RUN!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Carry TP

??Tissue paper. The light went on.Finally.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

...you say potato...

MTA: 9. When in a lightning storm at 13,000, there are no low places in which to take cover... RUN!

LOL...sorry, totally missed that!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The concept that I should take the food and eat it whilst walking away out of the aid station, is nearly rocket science, and hard for me to grasp.

I tried vasolining my toes and feet bottoms this Saturday, and I got almost no blisters, so apparently that worked for me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Jackets are good for  stuffing   food  in the pockets while walking away form the aid  station.

After mile 20 chewing is hard work without water.

20 oz hand held  only  last for about 45 minutes.

Arm sleeves which are to small will cut off the circulation.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Jackets are good for  stuffing   food  in the pockets while walking away form the aid  station.

Yet another good idea -- "put the food in a pocket" -- that sounds so simple, and yet apparently is too much for my little tired brain to grasp at the appropriate time. I should work on thinking about that ahead of time.

After mile 20 chewing is hard work without water.

I think I took nearly 3 miles to eat a cookie last Saturday, and only got through it by using the rest of my water to help me swallow. That was weird, and surprised me (I'm pretty inexperienced at ultras). On the positive side, it was a distraction.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.