Ultra Runners

50 miles? What was I thinking?!? (Read 842 times)

With just a little over a week until my first 50 miler, I'm suddenly getting a little nervous about finishing the distance!    I think I'm ready.   But, I'm having doubts.  My longest run ever was 30 miles and that was just a few weeks ago.  Now I have one week to work out any of the kinks to make sure this longer run goes smoothly. 

I'm still struggling with what to eat during a long run.  I found out that on the 30 miler, I wasn't really up for eating anything past 20 miles.  Nothing aside from GU's or PowerBar Blasts gels.

I was wondering about what others eat during long runs.  I'm really hoping to hear some ideas and find something that might also work for me.  Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Smile

I asked Mishka if we can fill our hydration vests with beer, for carbo loading & calories, but he said no.  Big grin

Michelle

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Will be looking forward to race report. I have a 50 miler planned for Dec. My mileage is close to yours.  Salty foods I discovered at mile 35 of a 40 miler works well. Plan to take a good look at your training.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Wow!!! Exciting!!

I've tried a little of everything, but rely on Clif gels and shot blocks for the most part. Some other things that are good...

PB&J (sandwiches or tortilla wraps)

salty chips

pretzels

banana bread

almonds

rice crispy treats

poptarts

cookies

popsicles

Lara bars

gummy bears

bananas

Good luck!!

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Mishka sucks. You need a new friend.  Wink

I always carry my own nutrition and electrolytes. Nothing fancy - just some combination of "food" engineered by Hammer and Succeed.

Then, I supplement with whatever looks tasty at aid stations - and this tends to vary! (Although, grilled cheese and chicken soup have yet to lose their appeal when I'm feeling especially down or cold.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Thank you for the suggestions!

I didn't even think about the salt food part of it.  I don't take in anything extra as far as salt is concerned.  I did try the NUUN tablets after my last long run, and my stomach was okay with it. I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to use that during a run, or afterwards. 

I'm hoping that by the time I get to the aid stations that I'll discover that I have an appetite and will want to eat yummy stuff (if they have it).  Grilled cheese would be perfect (I think).

Recently I've been doing a lot better with nutrition and have found that I don't crave soda at the end of a long run nearly as much as I used to.  In the past I would battled through a herd of elephants to get to a can of Coke after a long run.  I've had rice crispy treats as a long run snack, and that worked out.   String cheese & PB crackers go over well too. 

I guess I need to stop worrying about getting in a "meal sized" amount of nutrition, and concentrate on little snacks along the way....and look forward to what the aid stations might have, but prepare to have plenty of my own stuff.

Michelle

Haha!    He's running this 50 miler with me, and he paced me to my BQ - I think I'll keep him.   Approve  

ALSO.....he's buying the beer for after the race!     Big grin

Michelle

Mishka-old log

HAHA! Well...I could be convinced to have some in-race beers.

Guinness. See, now that has to be good. It looks enough like motor oil that I'm thinking it would be good late in the race to kind of lube up the joints a little bit. Right? Yep, just convinced myself!

Mishka-old log

I'm curious about the difference between a 50k and a 50 miler. For the 50k, I was surprised how few gu's / blasts I used to get through it, combined with how much I relied on Gatorade. In the later miles of the race, it seemed like even gu's took too much effort to open and eat that I all I wanted to do was drink. And my stomach tolerated the gatorade, so I swigged back tons of it toward the end.

You'll ruin your knees!

I once had tequilla late in a 100K... Shocked 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

That would not go over well with my body under normal conditions!   Dead    I think there would be some reverse gears action going on with that shot.

Michelle

Mishka-old log

That would not go over well with my body under normal conditions!   Dead    I think there would be some reverse gears action going on with that shot.

That's the beauty of running 50 miles. You won't be under normal conditions. I say we give it a shot. I'll bring the tequilla too!

DoppleBock

It will be fun - Its all about patience and slow pace.

I can eat almost anything

PB&J is nice to get carbs+protein+fat

Give me some doughnuts - Mmmm!

"Not being up for anything" = I am sick of sweet stuff or is it = My stomace will not handle anything?

Salted nut rolls - Sweet and salty

For me - If I keep hydrated, keep the right salt and potasium balance and keep eating - I can trow down almost anything - Gagging sometimes, but get it down.  If I am running way over my pace and frying me system this is not true anymore.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

What about Smart water?   Is there any value to putting that in my hydration vest instead of regular water?

Michelle

The King of Beasts

Bandera ?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

You'll ruin your knees!

Yep, Last Chance Saloon!  Lady in red talked me into it... (hic, burp)Dead

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)