Ultra Runners

50 miles? What was I thinking?!? (Read 842 times)

Mishka-old log

It means Mishka needs to bring a marker too.

Thanks for the tweak thread, Michelle. I'm exactly a week behind you guys on the first 50 tweak schedule. On Lynn's advice, I'm planning on bringing a big cooler filled with beer instead of a drop bag.

I can't wait to see how your race goes, Bonkin! You gotta get some pictures of that trail! Preferably before you get to your drop cooler!

How are you feeling?  Are you ready for your race?

I'm just happy that with this race it will start and finish near where our tents will be.  So, the cooler with the beer won't be far off after I crawl across the finish line.

Oh, and no markers for Mishka. 

I'm doing great. I'm as ready for the race as I can be, wishing I had more miles behind me, but that's life. How about you? Looks like you and Mishka are ready to rock this thing.

Re: calories - I noticed in race reports, etc, that Lynn and others used Boost or Ensure, so I've been trying those and they are working well for me. They taste much better cold, so I'll be stocking some under my beer. My kids say they taste yucky at room temperature, so I don't know if that's as good an option for you. Pop tarts, as usual work fine for me, but I lose my taste for them after 4ish hours.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I can't wait to see how your race goes, Bonkin! You gotta get some pictures of that trail! Preferably before you get to your drop cooler!

Thanks, I'll definitely get some pics. Maybe I'll pick up some markers and make a sign that says "If I'm passed out, please draw on my face".

You guys should do the same. Take pictures I mean.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Awesome!  The more the merrier!  Tweaking is fun when there are others to share it with.   Which one are you doing?

I hope that there aren't many new things to stress about though!

I'm doing Stone Cat. I've added markers to my list, because I'm sure at least one or two friends that are also doing it will read this thread too.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I'm doing great. I'm as ready for the race as I can be, wishing I had more miles behind me, but that's life. How about you? Looks like you and Mishka are ready to rock this thing.

Re: calories - I noticed in race reports, etc, that Lynn and others used Boost or Ensure, so I've been trying those and they are working well for me. They taste much better cold, so I'll be stocking some under my beer. My kids say they taste yucky at room temperature, so I don't know if that's as good an option for you. Pop tarts, as usual work fine for me, but I lose my taste for them after 4ish hours.

I think I'm ready.  I have the miles in, minus a few here or there, but life doesn't always let me escape for hours at a time.  I've learned to like running at stupid early times like 5:15 a.m. or around there, just to try to get a jump on some miles.  I feel like I did great with my 30 miler, but it was completely flat.  The hills on the ultra course might destroy me!  Oh well, live & learn.

One thing I experimented with was running back to back long miles on a weekend, and running on nothing for the second one.   What I did was 16 med fast miles (7:56 pace) and then 4 easy,  for a total of 20.  THEN...the next day I ran 17 easy miles, but I ran without taking any nutrition in, and by only drinking water.  I finished feeling completely fried.  I also had a very difficult time recovering over the next few days, I was just super tired.  My legs had nothing in them.  But, after a few days I was fine.  So, the lesson I learned was that I can still push through when depleted, but I'll pay the price for that.  Oh, I guess it didn't help that the night of running 20 I stayed up late and drank beer, and then Sunday before doing the 17 easy miles I was out at the soccer field for two hours frying in the sun.  My system was a bit annoyed.

I should consider something like Boost, or Ensure.   I never ever thought of something like that.

Michelle

Thanks, I'll definitely get some pics. Maybe I'll pick up some markers and make a sign that says "If I'm passed out, please draw on my face".

You guys should do the same. Take pictures I mean.

Haha!

I plan on bringing my cameras.  My good one for before and after the race, and my daughters not so good one for during the race (it'll fit in one of the pouches on my hydration vest).

Michelle

I'm doing Stone Cat. I've added markers to my list, because I'm sure at least one or two friends that are also doing it will read this thread too.

I'll have to look that one up.  I am just now getting into the world of ultras, so I know nothing about other races.

Markers are always good to have, just in case.   Big grin   Nail polish too (bright obnoxious colors are best).

Michelle

Obviously, no advice Michelle but I know you can do this! 

And for the record, Scaps have really helped my running and recovery.

Thank you Sara!  We'll have to pick an ultra to run together.  You know, they count towards my 50 states quest.  Big grin

I'm looking forward to seeing you for the marathon in December! 

Michelle

DoppleBock

50 miles is the most fun distance there is to run ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jpdeaux

Okay, I'll join the tweak-fest. My best friends the last time I ran for 12 hours were Coke and Classic Lays Potato Chips. They seemed to take care of the essentials of electrolyte balancing and sugar intake. They seemed also to keep my appetite primed for grazing through the aid station.

My first actual trail 50 is coming up in 37 days. I have yet to run on a trail this year. On Sunday we will see what this looks like.

Mishka-old log

Okay, I'll join the tweak-fest. My best friends the last time I ran for 12 hours were Coke and Classic Lays Potato Chips. They seemed to take care of the essentials of electrolyte balancing and sugar intake. They seemed also to keep my appetite primed for grazing through the aid station.

My first actual trail 50 is coming up in 37 days. I have yet to run on a trail this year. On Sunday we will see what this looks like.

Tweak-fests are fun! It looks like that Stone Cat race will get your trail legs going! That always freaks me out in the fall when the leaves fall and you can can't see what you're stepping on underneath.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Coke. 

Looking at a 50m in December...

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Yes. Coke. 

Looking at a 50m in December...

Tallahassee  12/ 10 

Flat, paved and very fast closed 10K loop at Wakulla Springs State Park 15M south of Tallahassee,
                            Florida's Capital City. Great place to run fast or run your first ultra. Stay at the beautiful
                            Wakulla Springs Lodge in the heart of "The Other Florida". Great runner support, hand-crafted
                            awards. 31st annual.

Terrain /surface *****1 / 1

http://www.tallahasseeultra.com/

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jpdeaux

Tweak-fests are fun! It looks like that Stone Cat race will get your trail legs going! That always freaks me out in the fall when the leaves fall and you can can't see what you're stepping on underneath.

Are you saying I might fall? This may not be for me. And should I use zip-lock bags or just plain bread bags over my socks? I hear there could be water.

L Train

Bring your Brady helmet and knee pads today, just in case.