Ultra Runners

Intro (Read 348 times)

Gringo runner

Hello everyone, I've been using RunningAhead for about a year now (used to use cool running before they switched to Active) and only found the Ultrarunners and Trail Runners forum groups here. I'm relatively new to ultras - ran my first in 2007 and just did my first 100 at McNaughton in April. Hope to meet some of you all at ultras in the near future. Pretty much all the ultras I go to, though, are not too far from where I live in the St. Louis area. Happy trails! Gringo runner

Enjoy life... this is not a rehearsal.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Howdy! Awesome work at McNaughton. A buddy went out to do 150, but only finished 100 due to the severe mud and technical nature.

Gringo runner

Thanks! McNaughton was a lot of fun (having a positive attitude and mindset to finish no matter what were what got me through as well as eating and eating and eating). My computer screen pic is of the 150 runners towing the line at the start (34 degrees and a steady rain). Those guys are simply amazing! Even attempting that in my mind is just amazing!

Carl A

Welcome! I read in your Berryman log entry that you're going to go for a Missouri crossing. Is that a homemade run? I'm asking because I've been thinking of doing something similar here in PA, maybe next summer. McNaughton sounds like a great race. How did you handle all of the stream crossings? Did you train to run with wet feet?

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Gringo runner

Carl, The Missouri crossing (or Missouri 335 ???) is a kinda crazy idea and may be a bit more than I can chew but I've gotta try. I'm glad the state is not as long as Penn!! It is basically a homemade multiday self supported run that a training partner thought up. We're in the process of sorting out the details. We'll be starting from Kansas City on the state line and running to the western trail head of the Katy Trail (the longest of the rails to trails which as far as we know has never been run altogether before) 80 miles southeast. The Katy Trail goes 225 miles on a crushed limestone surface that's flat as a pancake (mostly along or near the MIssouri river) to a St. Charles. From there we run another 30 miles to the St. Louis arch and then across a bridge to set foot in Illinois. We are planning to use a jogging stroller to carry food, water, sleeping bags etc. and hoping to do it in 6 or 7 days. There's just 2 of us right now but anyone is more than invited to run a part or all of the race with us. The start day is July 18 of this year somewhere in KC. Yikes!! As far as waterproofing feet, I recommend covering your feet COMPLETELY with diaper rash ointment (zinc oxide). I even added a good layer of vaseline on top. After the 5th loop at McNaughton, I applied another layer of zinc oxide/vaseline along with a change of shoes and socks. That and smartwool socks helped me finish with no blisters. I did the same at the Berryman 50 last Saturday (which had lots of stream crossings and mud) with the same results. It's too bad this was the last year for the McNaughton race but the RD will be hosting a similar 50/100/150 in Vermont next year and knowing him (a triple ironman finisher) it won't be a walk in the park.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We have a 500k cross Tennessee race called the Vol State run, put on by the same fellow who does Barkley. madness.
              Carl A

Trent - Meeting that Laz guy must've been a hoot! Reading about the Vol-state pretty much gave me the idea for my run. There's even a marked trans-PA bike route (route Y) that goes by near where I live, so I don't have much of an excuse not to do it. Maybe as my sons get old enough they'll want to bike it while I jog along. Gringo - Thanks for the foot-prep description. I'm going to try it on my next longish training run, and if it works for me, I'll use in future ultras. Also, thanks for the heads up on the new Vermont races! Let us know how everything goes in July.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome! Are you familiar with the SLUGs? I know a few from there, bump into them pretty often in the past. Paul S from St Jo, Missouri is a very good runner I have seen at more than a few races. He and a few others from Missouri come down to Arkansas for the 3 Days of Syllamo race, where I most often see them. Anyway, glad you're here. Lynn B (in Texas)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Gringo runner

Lynn, Yes! I have been a proud SLUG member for the past 2 years and feel lucky to be part of such a great group of people. David and Victoria White do an amazing job as RDs for the SLUG ultra events (Double Chubb 50K, Berryman 50m/marathon, Flatlanders 6/12 hr, Spirit of the Osage 50K). Speaking of Paul Schoenlaub, he (along with Stuart Johnson) will be RDing Missouri's first 100 miler in November, the Ozark Trail 100, http://www.stlouisultrarunnersgroup.net/OT100.html. Happy trails, Gringo runner

"Enjoy life... this is not a rehearsal. " Great quote!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I met a SLUG a few years ago atop Mount Evans in Colorado. We were both up there acclimating to the low ppO2. Of course, I was doing it so I could run Pikes Peak, while he was doing it so he could run Leadville 100 and then Pike Peak. I think that in the end he did not finish Leadville with enough time to get to PPM though. No flatlander ever has, I believe.
                          No flatlander ever has, I believe.
                          Only one person ever has, to my knowledge... that was Marshall Ulrich. This year it's easy though... they are a week apart. It was very tempting to do the Double and then Leadville...
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think it only counts if they are the same weekend Wink

You'll ruin your knees!

Only one person ever has, to my knowledge... that was Marshall Ulrich. This year it's easy though... they are a week apart. It was very tempting to do the Double and then Leadville...
                              Hey Chris, I thought I've always thought L'ville was open to all comers and that they even took entries up until race day. I saw (I think) on the website that entry closes July 12 this year. Do you know if that is the case? I may need to get a qualifying race in this summer/fall, and had thought Leadville was it, but I won't know if I need it until after July 12. You know anything about this/have you taken this into consideration for your plans? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hey Chris, I thought I've always thought L'ville was open to all comers and that they even took entries up until race day. I saw (I think) on the website that entry closes July 12 this year. Do you know if that is the case? I may need to get a qualifying race in this summer/fall, and had thought Leadville was it, but I won't know if I need it until after July 12. You know anything about this/have you taken this into consideration for your plans? Lynn B

Hey Lynn,

I've heard that they will take your money after the July 12 cutoff.  I'm pretty sure Andy Skurka registered a week or two before the race... but don't quote me.

You may drop Merilee an email and explain your situation... they seem to be pretty easygoing and I bet they'd work with you.

I'm not running it this year, but I'll be there pacing a friend from Winfield to Leadville.  Let me know if you come out... we'll have to meet up for sure!

- Chris

PS: Lodging is pretty much booked for the weekend, so if you are coming you ought to book something in the next week or so.  I heard from a friend yesterday that there were only 3-4 available houses left in town.  We'll have floor space, but I'm sure you'd prefer a bed before a 100 miler.