Ultra Runners

RWOL ultra runners (Read 668 times)

DoppleBock

I resisted for 6-9 months and then I just entered the historical data in large blocks - Just getting the mileage in the right year.  You could start fresh 1/1/2013.

I've never had an on-line log. I keep mine in Excel and it looks like too much work to reenter it here. Basic current info: 30 mpw, 5 or 6 days, longest run in the 7-10 mile range, try to get in one interval workout a week. Short term goals: 800m and mile improvement over last year (3:28 and 7:57 respectively). Indoor track season ends March 3 and I can reset my focus then. And I've been running since 1968 and have raced as long as a marathon, though my last one was 30+ years ago.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There may be User Groups which meet your needs better - but if you really want to have a crack at a 24hr race then please stick around and listen to DoppleBock and WrigleyGirl.... and then go to your Doctor to get your head examined.

If my head is the only part that needs to be examined, I'll be fine. SueInTN has already pointed me to several resources. I did crew at this year's NC24 so I got a glimpse of what I'm getting myself into.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DoppleBock

Welcome - Do you care to share any background.

I like to run a lot - I am a higher mileage piggy.  I am Dopplebock = full bodied beer, doing all my PRs > 200# at 6'3.  My 3 favorite distances (In rank order) = 50 mile, 5 mile, Marathon.  My most hated distances = 24 hour and <= 5k.

I have had the most success at 24 hour although I truly hate the mental and physical anguish it causes.  Lately I have not been able to get myself into the right mental place for a 24 hours race.  My last attempt I was in really good shape and ran a 24 on the track (Sept 1-2)

1st 12 = 129,200 meters

2nd 12 = 71,200 meters

I am ready to move from 24 hours to 100 mile trail races ...

In our only head to head - Purdey crushed me as I DNF'd Leadville and he did not.

Thanks for the welcome, Purdey!

I'm one of the new, adventurous ultra runners, and look forward to learning from everyone here.

Purdey

Self anointed title

In our only head to head - Purdey crushed me as I DNF'd Leadville and he did not.

I don't count that.  We need to race again.

BTW - DoppleBock is being rather modest.  He represented the USA in the World 24hr Championships, and placed 12th overall and 2nd American behind Scott Jurek.

I'm sure that Mikey The Pig won't mind me posting this link (for people who want to know a bit more about the man who went from weighing 300 pounds to placing 12th in the World 24hrs):

http://www.jsonline.com/features/health/96304429.html

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh hey, a fellow Wisconsinite!  Nice article.

Running is dumb.

RunJasonRun

I don't count that.  We need to race again.

BTW - DoppleBock is being rather modest.  He represented the USA in the World 24hr Championships, and placed 12th overall and 2nd American behind Scott Jurek.

I'm sure that Mikey The Pig won't mind me posting this link (for people who want to know a bit more about the man who went from weighing 300 pounds to placing 12th in the World 24hrs):

http://www.jsonline.com/features/health/96304429.html

I am a former heavyweight myself, so I loved reading this story.  Congrats, Mike!

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Having read your story - I thought that might appeal to you Jason. 

toyger

Welcome - Do you care to share any background.

Yes! Although I don't have much history to report on. I've been running since 2010 and have a half dozen HMs and a marathon (yes, only one) under my belt. I did my first 12 hour run in September at North Coast and only managed a 50k. In 2013, I'll be running the 60k at the Land Between the Lakes series, 3 Days at the Fair 24 hour, and North Coast 24 hour.

Jen

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I'm from RWOL but never participated of the ultra forums there. I would like that to change.  Doing my first ultra in February (Everglades Ultra 50K).  I know, 50K is like a mini ultra but I've not taken the plunge and go all out with a 50 miler.

Looking forward to hanging out here more and learning from all of you.

Thanks for the welcome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DoppleBock

Welcome - 50k is a good place to start

Is this a swamp - muddy - 50k or how is the course? 

Hi, guys.  I'm from RWOL but never participated of the ultra forums there. I would like that to change.  Doing my first ultra in February (Everglades Ultra 50K).  I know, 50K is like a mini ultra but I've not taken the plunge and go all out with a 50 miler.

Looking forward to hanging out here more and learning from all of you.

Thanks for the welcome!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Background?

Ran my first 50K in 2011 at the Ice Age Trail 50 here in Wisconsin.  Then I ran a bunch more.  Ran my age in miles on my birthday this year because I had nothing else to do that day.  (I'm fairly young though.)  Ran my first 50 miler and 100K this year and fell in love with long, long distances.  I still haven't gotten around to running a road marathon and I'm not sure if I ever will.  I am mostly a trail runner.  I've paced at a few 100s now and am planning on running my own first 100 in 2014 if all goes according to plan.

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

Welcome -

Hasher?

LPTR?

Why wait until 2014? 

Background?

Ran my first 50K in 2011 at the Ice Age Trail 50 here in Wisconsin.  Then I ran a bunch more.  Ran my age in miles on my birthday this year because I had nothing else to do that day.  (I'm fairly young though.)  Ran my first 50 miler and 100K this year and fell in love with long, long distances.  I still haven't gotten around to running a road marathon and I'm not sure if I ever will.  I am mostly a trail runner.  I've paced at a few 100s now and am planning on running my own first 100 in 2014 if all goes according to plan.

On On

Welcome -

Hasher?

LPTR?

Why wait until 2014? 

Yes I am a Hasher.
                            MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Welcome -

Hasher?

LPTR?

Why wait until 2014? 

I'm not running at the moment.  I have a seriously nagging groin injury that I need to get totally healed up.  It'll be a while before I'm running again and a while longer yet before I slowly build back up my miles. 

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

Always on the alert for new landscape replacement landscape to clutter randomly.

Hi.  I live on an island in the PNW.