Ultra Runners

24 Hour strategery (Read 514 times)

Any real life examples of what might be reasonably expected? 

That's the beauty of the log, Athlinks, UltraSignup, and various blogs. Stalk away. Wink

Weegee

That's the beauty of the log, Athlinks, UltraSignup, and various blogs. Stalk away. Wink

Ditto.  Find someone you know as your baseline and check out a few of their times.  Concentrate on the middle of the bell curve of these times and you'll get some sort of a decent idea of where to start out.

The most important thing to remember is not to drop because your pace does.  If you're totally out and want to drop, sit down to eat soup and tell jokes by the fire.  Ultra resurrections occur with surprising frequency, and that person who is cramped up in the chair seven hours in might be jogging along happily at hour 23.

Oh, and if you bring a chair, bring someone to kick you out of it too.

Uh oh... now what?

dup... sorry

Kalsarikännit

Ok, am I an idiot?  Are search engines so difficult to use?  Someone here mentioned a track 24 Hour that was held in Georgia. I searched and searched, but could not find it. Nothing in race calendars, nothing by googling, etc. Finally it was mention on the ultralist, because Fejes won it. It is the Shazaam 24 Hour. So I google it. Nada. I use different spellings and combine it with other words like 24, ultra, ultramarathon, Fejes, Georgia, race, etc, etc.  Nothing.

Are they hiding it from me because I am a yankee?  Are they worried I will make fun of grits and country music during the race?  Is it a secret race for club members only?  Am I really an idiot and just not seeing it?

Also, I noticed that there were a lot of races missing from Ultrarunning's calendar. This used to be the go-to spot to find races.   Since I noticed HasherRick's races aren't on there, maybe he has some insight as to the reasons that RD's aren't submitting races to it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Uh oh... now what?

oops, dupe post, sorry

Imminent Catastrophe

I can't answer your first question.

Shazam 24 hour was held in November on a 400m track.

There's another on a mile track called Operation Endurance on March 30-31 fi you're interested.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Ok, am I an idiot?  Are search engines so difficult to use?  Someone here mentioned a track 24 Hour that was held in Georgia. I searched and searched, but could not find it. Nothing in race calendars, nothing by googling, etc. Finally it was mention on the ultralist, because Fejes won it. It is the Shazaam 24 Hour. So I google it. Nada. I use different spellings and combine it with other words like 24, ultra, ultramarathon, Fejes, Georgia, race, etc, etc.  Nothing.

Are they hiding it from me because I am a yankee?  Are they worried I will make fun of grits and country music during the race?  Is it a secret race for club members only?  Am I really an idiot and just not seeing it?

Also, I noticed that there were a lot of races missing from Ultrarunning's calendar. This used to be the go-to spot to find races.   Since I noticed HasherRick's races aren't on there, maybe he has some insight as to the reasons that RD's aren't submitting races to it.

Because you, like me, refuse to assimilate into facebook.

As for race calendars, I'm having a harder and harder time keeping everything in the maniac calendar too.  And what's different about my calendar is that it isn't based on RD submission (which, actually, sometimes torques off an RD when I list something he/she didn't want listed, or do it "wrong", etc).  There's just soooo much stuff.

(and I wouldn't have listed Shazam because I refuse to link the calendar to facebook entries or active dot com)

Trail Monster

Hmmm, good thread! I have my first 24 hour (the April North Coast) in 3+ months and I'm using it as a build up to Burning River. I'd like to make 75 miles minimum. I haven't picked a strategy yet but I guess I'll have to start thinking about it between my marathon and the 24 hour. Since my minimum goal is only a little faster than 20 minute miles I will probably start out at my current 50 mile pace (14-ish) and try to just hold on to that. Being that I'll have 7 months since that 50 I expect that pace will be a 'good' one for the longer distance given I'll be in much better shape. Now karma is going to kick me in the ass right?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Blargh... Facebook. Thank you SRL There ought to be a special place in hell for races that use FB as their primary  means of communication. Esp those that set up their page so that it can't be accessed by non members.

"Noo... I did NOT just happen to see the last minute warnings about passports and water bottles. Perhaps if you'd tried pushing the message to me via one of the contacts I gave you when I registered, instead of expecting me to be prescient enough to pull it from a social networking site."

Liz

pace sera, sera

Trail Dog

I can confirm this was the Shazaam. It was something Kena (Vikena) set up informally through Facebook.

Speaking of Kena, she is a great runner but an even better race director. Everybody should check out her Operation Endurance races, held in March/April. I am personal friends with Kena, and volunteered at OE last year - I can't imagine a better venue for a 24/12 hour race.

Dream Maker

I can confirm this was the Shazaam. It was something Kena (Vikena) set up informally through Facebook.

Speaking of Kena, she is a great runner but an even better race director. Everybody should check out her Operation Endurance races, held in March/April. I am personal friends with Kena, and volunteered at OE last year - I can't imagine a better venue for a 24/12 hour race.

It was great when I came to help a friend last year! I wanted to run this year but it's the weekend before Umstead.  She is super nice and I still can't believe how much she ran in 72 hours.

SO, I am reading this to try to decide what to do this weekend.

My only other 24 hour I think the walk early and often led to fewer miles.  I hadn't (and haven't, oops) practiced walking.  I did anyways, as instructed, and got to 40 miles over 3 hours after when I normally would and felt about 100x worse than I ever had after 40 before.  It beat me up... and since I walk at 1-3 mph at my own devices... I didn't get much distance.  I only got about 63 miles in the 24 hours.  Vs, 54 miles in a 10 hour race done by running and sitting that I could still walk around afterwards.  I also chafed worse, and had more unusual pain. Though, I did recover faster in terms of running the next week.

I can run slow. Actually, I prefer to run slow. I spend most my time running slow.  I do seem to tighten up more walking than stopping.  My physical therapist says my form running is much better than while walking

But, of course, 24 hours is way, way further than I can run no matter how slow I go.  Especially since I'm out of shape right now.

//I did not stop and stretch regularly though. I just saw DoppleBock recommended that in the other thread.  That could make a huge difference. Hmm.... and maybe I need to walk early and often just not for so long at a time.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

heather- You might want to check this thread.  Especially the entries by DB.

mta:  This one also since you have been having fueling problems.

steph  

Imminent Catastrophe

Because you, like me, refuse to assimilate into facebook.

How's that working out for you?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

OK that 24-hour race was this last weekend. First of all, it was cool because I met Tea Olive, Heather and Buzzie IRL.

Plus, I was able to try out a plan that was sorta/kinda what Wrigs recommended (can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure it was what she said): Run 25, walk 5.

Since my easy pace was about 17 minutes per 1.7-mile loop, I ran 10 miles at that pace, then every other loop I'd walk for 3-4 minutes, stretch for 30 seconds or so, and refuel, even if I didn't think I needed to. So it was more like run 35, walk 5.

That worked pretty well. I covered the same distance in 12 hours as last year but had a lot more left after that. Last year I ran out of steam and had nothing left by the 12-hour point. This year after 12 hours I still was feeling like I had a lot left, and in fact ground out another 4 hours until an ankle injury made me quit, but I felt like I still had enough endurance to do a lot more.

DoppleBock

1-3 MPH?  I walk 4-5 MPH its not lolligag time ... plus I walk once per hour 2 minutes that is it until it needs to be more

It was great when I came to help a friend last year! I wanted to run this year but it's the weekend before Umstead.  She is super nice and I still can't believe how much she ran in 72 hours.

SO, I am reading this to try to decide what to do this weekend.

My only other 24 hour I think the walk early and often led to fewer miles.  I hadn't (and haven't, oops) practiced walking.  I did anyways, as instructed, and got to 40 miles over 3 hours after when I normally would and felt about 100x worse than I ever had after 40 before.  It beat me up... and since I walk at 1-3 mph at my own devices... I didn't get much distance.  I only got about 63 miles in the 24 hours.  Vs, 54 miles in a 10 hour race done by running and sitting that I could still walk around afterwards.  I also chafed worse, and had more unusual pain. Though, I did recover faster in terms of running the next week.

I can run slow. Actually, I prefer to run slow. I spend most my time running slow.  I do seem to tighten up more walking than stopping.  My physical therapist says my form running is much better than while walking

But, of course, 24 hours is way, way further than I can run no matter how slow I go.  Especially since I'm out of shape right now.

//I did not stop and stretch regularly though. I just saw DoppleBock recommended that in the other thread.  That could make a huge difference. Hmm.... and maybe I need to walk early and often just not for so long at a time.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !