Ultra Runners

Another ultra newbie (Read 508 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hello all Cool I have been running for about 7 months (ran from 2003-06 before 9 month hiatus) and am currently in shape to complete marathon to 50k. I would like to complete a 50 miler in the spring / summer and the 72 mile Tahoe Ultra September 28, 2008. At this point I am running 35-45 mpw. I know I could easily stretch my midweek runs to 8-10 miles/day. Not sure if that is ideal or if I should stretch the weekend runs. I have looked at a few "ultra sites" but there is no real consistent message and not sure if there is a method of training that has worked well for other ultra newbs much like the numerous Marathon Guru training programs. I will be running marathons /half marathons every month (another goal) so I am quite comfortable that I can run tat distance every couple weeks (at training pace of course). Thanks for any direction that can help me begin planning 3-6 month training program.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

who knows...

At this point I am running 35-45 mpw. I know I could easily stretch my midweek runs to 8-10 miles/day. Not sure if that is ideal or if I should stretch the weekend runs.
      It seems to me that is best to slowly increase both your mid-week and end-week runs, esp. if you are working toward 50 and 78 mile runs. The general consensus that I have found (and some here may be able to alter or correct my observation) is 'time spent on your feet'--which, of course, translates to 'miles.'
      "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
        Everybody will have different advice so take everything with a grain of salt. What's best for me might be a disaster for you. The one nuggest I'll give is your long run will need to get longer, but you want the remainder of your week to be able to support that long run. Don't continue to lengthen the long run but keep the rest of the week where you're at today, it becomes far too stressful. It looks like you've got the right idea by lengthening the midweek run first. Best of luck!
        www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com

Wasatch Speedgoat

What has worked for me is back to back long runs and an occasional really long run, which can be done in races. My best year in ultrarunning was 2001 when I finished the Barkley fun run, Massanutten 100 and the Hardrock 100. That Spring I went down to Va. in early march and ran the Smokies with David Horton. A 72 mile run in the rain that took 29 hours. Lots of walking. 2 weeks later we went to the Shenandoahs and ran a 2 day stage run. 50 miles on Sat. and 50 miles on Sunday to run the complete Shenandoah trail. After I recovered form those two runs I was all set for the year and in the best shape of my life (for ultrarunning). Another thing to think of specificity. A couple of times a week I go on my treadmill and do this workout where i will run for 10 minutes and walk for 5 at 4mph at a 15% grade. Do this over and over, running the running part faster every time until the last 10 where i start to wind down. This prepares you for walking, which you "will" do in this sport and many don't practice. Good luck, Steve

Life is short, play hard!

I can see this thread is going to be helpful. I am going to be running my first ultra in May and, needless to say, I'm nervous. What're your opinions regarding running "hours" for your long run as opposed to running "miles?" I alread incorporate the run/walk method by powering walking the hills.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

My humble and not very experienced opinion on hours vs miles is you need to do the miles at some point. For my first marathon I made the mistake of running by hours instead of miles. When it came down to it I wasn't prepared for the miles. Every race since then I have focused on doing the miles and I think that has helped. I do think it is a good idea when you are going for a longer (100 mile) distance to prepare yourself for functioning without sleep or rest for long periods of time. I don't really have racing experience to back this (yet) but from a mountaineering background its always good to know you can continue to function after 20 hours. Shocked
              If you're bored ask why you're boring

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello all Cool I have been running for about 7 months (ran from 2003-06 before 9 month hiatus) and am currently in shape to complete marathon to 50k. I would like to complete a 50 miler in the spring / summer and the 72 mile Tahoe Ultra September 28, 2008. At this point I am running 35-45 mpw. I know I could easily stretch my midweek runs to 8-10 miles/day. Not sure if that is ideal or if I should stretch the weekend runs. I have looked at a few "ultra sites" but there is no real consistent message and not sure if there is a method of training that has worked well for other ultra newbs much like the numerous Marathon Guru training programs. I will be running marathons /half marathons every month (another goal) so I am quite comfortable that I can run tat distance every couple weeks (at training pace of course). Thanks for any direction that can help me begin planning 3-6 month training program.
                7 months isn't that long, but I'll take for granted your comment about being in shape to complete mary/50K and build on that. I like to do things I like to do. That means I don't like a lot of structure in my training, I like to run. If I feel like going long, I go long. Obviously, life gets in the way much of the time. From what you offer about running marathons/half marathons every month, I suggest you find a way to match that distance on the day after or before the actual race. That is a great way to get your "back to back" runs in if you can work the schedule (again, you said you were running the races at training pace, so should be doable). If you can move your mid-week run up to higher mileage, that's great too. If not, you could consider adding a second run to your mid-week run to get more miles in the middle, so to speak. Best of luck with it, Steve an the others have covered some good advice here. Not all of us train the same way, I have not been good at back to backs historically, but believe they are a really solid approach. Probably the biggest change you will need to make is fueling on the run. The 50 mile race requires you find the key to getting calories in without distressing your stomach. This is trial and error and can only be done with practice...meaning experimenting on long training runs. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I second Lynns thoughts. When I was training for my 50 I found eating was tricky. I am a big fan of the Hammer products but it took me a couple of runs to work out how much to drink,how often and how many electrolytes I needed. My first long run I drank to much too fast ... it wasn't pretty. Eating during an ultra is probably its own thread.
                  If you're bored ask why you're boring

Running on the ocean

I would like to complete the 72 mile Tahoe Ultra September 28, 2008.
                    I did the Lake Tahoe triple marathon last year. If you're interested you can find lots of pictures from the course around Lake Tahoe here. I personally recommend you to do the Tahoe ultra. It's a fantastic event. One small issue I would like to mention is that this event is run on streets and sometimes (as you can see at the pictures) very, very close to the cars who zoom by very fast. Ultra runners run at night and I could imagine having to be super extra careful in the dark so that one doesn't get run over by those maniac drivers.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                    -- Jakob Herrmann
                    my running achievements

Ultrarunner2, Those pics at Lake Tahoe are awesome! Makes me want to sign up for it! I have some running friends that have run that race too.

Running on the ocean

Ultrarunner2, Those pics at Lake Tahoe are awesome! Makes me want to sign up for it! I have some running friends that have run that race too.
                        It is, by far, a superb and beautiful run. Unfortunately, I have to drive 8 hours to get there so I am not sure if I can make it this year again. But I sure want to. I might just go again and do the 72 mile ultra. Looks very, very good. LOL. Thanks for your message! And congratulation to your amazing finisher time of 3:44:41 in the PF Changs Rock n Roll Marathon race. You ROCK!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                        -- Jakob Herrmann
                        my running achievements

Thanks Ultrarunner2! I was going to go easy in that race and just have fun, but a fellow runner peer pressured me to go faster. She wanted a running buddy and she wanted to get a time under 3:45:00. In the end, I'm glad I pushed harder. It gave me a lot of confidence to have 2 marathons under 4 hours within 2 months of each other. I've run 10 marathons now and my best time until these last 2 races was 4:09. Smile BTW, I love your new pic! It looks like you're running on a cruise ship.