Ultra Runners

When runners crash and burn (Read 344 times)

I had a horrible run today, I had attended a multi-lap run of 8 x 6.55 miles, I had planned to do the full set but pulled up at only 5 laps (32.75 miles)

Read my report here

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Carl A

I had similar things happen to me while using Nuun and Perpetuem in my last ultra. Nuun is marketed as a balanced electrolyte mix, but I think I would have done better to take in more plain water along with it and to ice it down more often.

Even though the day didn't turn out as well as you hoped, it was an ultra-distance effort. I've found that pretty much all ultrarunners DNF sooner or later; it's only to be expected as part of pushing to our limits. And sometimes the best races ultimately are those in which we learn the most.

Nice report writing. Thanks for posting!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Thanks Carl

I feel great today, my buttock is sore though which was caused by my stumble. I know that ultimately I gave up mentally, physically I could have kept going but the thought of carrying on for another 4 hours in the sun was the deciding factor.

This has been put down to experience, it was a great training run for my target run at the end of August (85 miles)

Jerry

Into the wild

Good effort Jerry in tough conditions.

Good luck with the 85 mile Ridgeway.

Shut up and run

Purdey

Self anointed title

+1

DoppleBock

That's how training runs go - I have a 7 mile loop and often plan 6-7 loops.  There are times I hit 3 loops and I am done.  When in the midst of training, I never know what my body will have that day. 

I am sure you will take ho-hum training and smile when you have a great race!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Thanks DB, that means a lot.

I am still quite pleased though as I have just found out that of the people who completed the 32.75 mile section I was the fastest by just under an hour so I can feel pretty pleased with myself.

Jerry

Great report, Jerry.  And it looks like in the end (your last post) it was a better run than you thought!  Heat and humidity will zap you quicker than anything, it seems.  Take care of yourself, heal up that butt and thigh, and good luck with your upcoming 85-miler.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance