Ultra Runners

Balance long run week (Read 316 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Highest mileage week ever is 55. In May. Have been increase mileage 10% a month. 180 miles this month will be my 10%. Will go over 180. Now to my questions. Should I keep my mileage this week under 25 miles not including the longer run?What % of  weekly mileage should the long run be?  Does it even matter? Did 23 miles  with 51 mile week ending 10/9/10.  On track for  200 mile(21%) month. Should I cut back mileage to avoid going to much of  10%? The goal is to make the start line uninjured and not  register DNF. 50k Nov 14.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I am a total newby at this but I'll throw my two cents in.  I have finished one 50m and I did really well considering it was one week after my first marathon (July).  I have been increasing my miles since then and am running more now than I was then (or at least I am more consistent with my long runs).  I feel strong.  It sounds like I am up to where you are for weekly and monthly totals.  October will be my first month over 200 ( I should probably have about 220 or so).  My race is on December 18 ( a 50m).  My plan is to finish this month strong and run about 160 to 180 in November and then cut my running so that by race week I will run like 9 miles over two or three days.  I would say you are there.  If you are running this much you should be totally ready to run the 50k.  I have learned from my expeirence with mountain sprint races but mostly from talking with other runners:  The taper is really important.  A two week taper cutting back 50% then almost nothing would bring me in with strong legs, ready to run.

Good luck.  I'll know if my strategy works after December 18th.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am a total newby at this but I'll throw my two cents in.  I have finished one 50m and I did really well considering it was one week after my first marathon (July).  I have been increasing my miles since then and am running more now than I was then (or at least I am more consistent with my long runs).  I feel strong.  It sounds like I am up to where you are for weekly and monthly totals.  October will be my first month over 200 ( I should probably have about 220 or so).  My race is on December 18 ( a 50m).  My plan is to finish this month strong and run about 160 to 180 in November and then cut my running so that by race week I will run like 9 miles over two or three days.  I would say you are there.  If you are running this much you should be totally ready to run the 50k.  I have learned from my expeirence with mountain sprint races but mostly from talking with other runners:  The taper is really important.  A two week taper cutting back 50% then almost nothing would bring me in with strong legs, ready to run.

Good luck.  I'll know if my strategy works after December 18th.

Thanks. Will cut the long run back to15-18 miles and keep the monthly mileage on track. Taper the last 10 days to about 40 miles.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

DoppleBock

the 10% rule is overrated

At this point don't worry about it - Worry more about what makes sense to get ready for the 50k

50k Nov 14th

Week Nov 8-14th -

Week Nov 1-7th -

Current week Oct 25-31st -

Think in terms of what you need to do each of these weeks to be ready -  Of course the last 2 weeks are taper.  This week, I would run a decent run this weekend - But not a killer run.    Something under 20 miles and easier effort level.  Maybe 14-16 miles.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I did 195.5 miles for the month. 15.5(21.5%) miles over the10%. Since I am 2 weeks out. I did 20 miles in 2 days. 8.9 +10.2. I have not done back to back semi long runs since I starting maffing. Long /short. Hard/ easy. Two week taper. 35 miles and 25 miles. Taper I used for my half in October. Looked at the finishing times for last year. The middle of the field came in around 4:50- 5:15. The plan now is to started at a 10 minute pace and see how I feel at mile 20. Thanks

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter