Ultra Runners

How to get and monitor sodium with no aide stations (Read 498 times)

Hello all 

I have my first 50 miler coming up at the end of the month.  I have been reading as much as I can about sodium intake and trying to get a grasp on this.  

I've read that most races down in the states (I am in Alaska) seem to have aide stations, but in this particular race we only get one drop bag at mile 38.  My concern is, if the weather is warm I don't know how to keep my sodium levels solid.

None of the gels or bars seem to have sodium and I can't pack that many potato chips.  

Any one make their own salt capsules?  Do they work?  How much salt?

Any one know of a brand of salt tablets that work?

Any other ideas?  Anchovies?

Thanks

PS: this forum is great I have learned a lot from reading the posts so thanks to the community and good luck to all in your upcoming events.

Succeed S! Caps were recommended to me by a 100 mile runner here on RA and I've used them in long run training, my one ultra and a few marathons. A zip lock baggie keeps them nice and dry. The guy that recommended them takes 2-3 per hour. I've found that I'm fine with 1 per hour.

http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Imminent Catastrophe

I've used S-caps in some pretty hot/humid races and long runs too, they work well. One caveat--be very sure that they are in a waterproof container, if any moisture gets in they will disintegrate quickly.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Not a great lover of salt tablets personally as it is difficult to measure sodium/potassium intake versus outgoing in the form of sweat and urine.

My personal choice is Nuun  and when it is really hot I take a pint post-diarrhea fluid replacement solution every 4 hours (Is amazingly refreshing)

Sometimes, depending on the run and my location I have a small packet of pretzels  in my backpack and if I don't have the above snack on those. Just be mindful that it is not just sodium salts you need but potassium as well.

As the others say, make sure you keep your weapon of choice in a zippy bag in a dry pocket I have ruined a tube of nuun when I waded waist deep through a river on a 50 km trail run and those things are not cheap.

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Kalsarikännit

I use Endurolytes.  They have less sodium than S! Caps, and have other electrolytes.  I judge my sodium intake by the swelling in my fingers.  My hands swell badly with too much or not enough salt.  They get so big that I can't bend my fingers.  When it isn't too hot, I take one/ hr, when it is hot, I go with two. 

Good Luck!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I use Endurolytes.  They have less sodium than S! Caps, and have other electrolytes.  I judge my sodium intake by the swelling in my fingers.  My hands swell badly with too much or not enough salt.  They get so big that I can't bend my fingers.  When it isn't too hot, I take one/ hr, when it is hot, I go with two. 

Good Luck!

I was going to mention hyponatremia as I have only once had swelling/stiffness in the hands in a race and  was luckily about 2 miles from an aid station where they had salty biscuits hence why I advised the packet of pretzels trick.

It sounds really bad in your case

Jerry

Kalsarikännit

More uncomfortable than anything.  My fingers will look like big sausages with no lines in them (like at the knuckle).  One of those things that happened a lot in my early ultrarunning days, but I don't see much of anymore.  I've probably gotten smarter about my running (even though general intelligence has taken a sharp decline ).  I used to depend on sports drinks for electrolyes.  Turn out that just doesn't cut it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Yep, Running is Stupid

Jerry

I'm noboby, who are you?

Hello all 

I have my first 50 miler coming up at the end of the month.  I have been reading as much as I can about sodium intake and trying to get a grasp on this.  

I've read that most races down in the states (I am in Alaska) seem to have aide stations, but in this particular race we only get one drop bag at mile 38.  My concern is, if the weather is warm I don't know how to keep my sodium levels solid.

None of the gels or bars seem to have sodium and I can't pack that many potato chips.  

Any one make their own salt capsules?  Do they work?  How much salt?

Any one know of a brand of salt tablets that work?

Any other ideas?  Anchovies?

Thanks

PS: this forum is great I have learned a lot from reading the posts so thanks to the community and good luck to all in your upcoming events.

Your best choice is S!caps. You will probably have a hard time trying to find a balance. The usual answer is try them in training but you don't get the heat in the lower 48. In essence, unless you come week in advance and do walking/hiking (easy stuff) you will not be acclimated.

I've been using them for about 15 years. I know everyone's needs are different but roughly one an hour in heat and less if cooler as the label suggests. You will have to monitor your urination frequency and color. And all of this ties into your fluid consumption. Obviously you need both but they must stay balanced. Too much of either and you stop absorbing, bloat, and get into deep *hit.

For simplicity sake I take them on a hour boundary.

I know some like E!caps edurocaps but they too little salt 40mg per. lets assume you need 360 Mg per hour to stay balanced(made up number but not unreasonable) that's 9 E!Caps. Multiply that by the number of hours say 10 and that 90 of those suckers and trying to count them  out .  They also have extra stuff which I think are not needed and hype.

What race and where?

You'll ruin your knees!

I have found this Water/Electrolyte Balance Table to be a useful reference.  It may be a little overload, but as you get to more an more time out in warmer temps, it makes a lot of sense to be familiar with what to look for and what to do about it when you notice a change in your body.  Several others have mentioned S-Caps, which can be ordered directly from this website (along with other products that I think are pretty good). 

Here in TX, a farily short run can result in extreme fluid loss.  I will often take a couple of the S-Caps after a run (even 1-1.5 hours) just to avoid cramps during the night.  For longer runs, I'll start out taking 2 per hour and adjust from there... less fluid loss - maybe go to one per hour, more... 2 per 30 min or 3 per hour... You'll have to figure out what is right for you, good luck with it. 

Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I'm noboby, who are you?

I have found this Water/Electrolyte Balance Table to be a useful reference.  It may be a little overload, but as you get to more an more time out in warmer temps, it makes a lot of sense to be familiar with what to look for and what to do about it when you notice a change in your body.  Several others have mentioned S-Caps, which can be ordered directly from this website (along with other products that I think are pretty good). 

Here in TX, a farily short run can result in extreme fluid loss.  I will often take a couple of the S-Caps after a run (even 1-1.5 hours) just to avoid cramps during the night.  For longer runs, I'll start out taking 2 per hour and adjust from there... less fluid loss - maybe go to one per hour, more... 2 per 30 min or 3 per hour... You'll have to figure out what is right for you, good luck with it. 

Lynn

all Good thoughts but the runner is coming is from Alaska and has no heat acclimation. For instance I live in the NE and train in the winter -10 to 40F. When I go south to Bull Run in the spring we can get 80+ degrees.  It's not easy to make fluid/salt adjustments that quickly.

My best advice, and I use this personally, when the flame goes up, I  turn down the dial. It's better to finish with a slower time than DNF.  

-Doug

You'll ruin your knees!

Absolutely agree... very good advice

My best advice, and I use this personally, when the flame goes up, I  turn down the dial. It's better to finish with a slower time than DNF. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks for all the good advice.

I am not going to the states for this one.   It is the Resurrection 50miler here in Alaska.  The problem is we have had such a cool summer (top temp 60) and it is projected to warm up.  Up here the sun can be brutal if there are no clouds because it just won't go away.  It stays at the same angle for 16 or more hours.  

I found some "THERMOTABS" at my local pharmacy.  Label says its for "golphers and tennis players" hah, that is kind of funny.  But it is a buffered tab and it  has 452mg of sodium chloride in each tablet.  

I have a training run in the mountains tomorrow (20 miles with 5000' elevation gain) the temp is supposed to be 70degrees or more.  I will give them a shot and plan on taking one per hour.

Thanks again.

Carl A

Just make sure you self-monitor as well. If the idea of anything salty turns your stomach, you're probably taking in too much. If you're craving pretzels or chips, then maybe take an extra tab.

I went to UAA from 1994-1996. Have fun!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Imminent Catastrophe

That's the first time I've ever seen anchovies mentioned as ultra food.

I had to look into that Resurrection Pass run. Looks beautiful! 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016