Ultra Runners

Midwest 100s (Read 803 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Anyone know of any 100 milers in the Midwest during June?

Bighorn and Blackhills are the two I see but was hoping for something in MO or surrounding states (IL, KY, IA, AR).  Essentially driving distance from MO.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
    DoppleBock

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/ultrasbydate.html

fairly up to date

Anyone know of any 100 milers in the Midwest during June?

Bighorn and Blackhills are the two I see but was hoping for something in MO or surrounding states (IL, KY, IA, AR).  Essentially driving distance from MO.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I was thinking of doing Ozark 100...but as you probably know, that's in early November, 180 degrees opposite the date you need.  Smile

(Side note: have you done it?  Liked it? Recommend it?)

This schedule is sequential and has nice links to the websites.  http://www.run100s.com/ultra.htm

It depends on where in Mo you'll be but I'd say Kettle Moraine and Mohican would be driveable.  I hope you realize Missouri can be pretty hot and muggy in June.

xor

If you want a longer drive, you could consider Mohican in Ohio. 6/18

Edited to add: oh.  "That's what he said."

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I was thinking of doing Ozark 100...but as you probably know, that's in early November, 180 degrees opposite the date you need.  Smile

(Side note: have you done it?  Liked it? Recommend it?)

I am planning to do it this year.  Heard it is tough terrain (loose rock covered with leaves).  It is 100 miles point to point which sounds pretty cool.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

fairly up to date

Never seen this site before.  Some races not listed elsewhere.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

I am planning to do it this year.  Heard it is tough terrain (loose rock covered with leaves).  It is 100 miles point to point which sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, the point-to-point is awesome... one of my favorite types of course.  And the course is very close to where my dad grew up, so it will be pretty neat to go visit the old farm, etc.   Hopefully we both make it to November healthy and uninjured... would be nice to meet up for a beer.

Kalsarikännit

I ran Ozark last year. It is a lot of hidden rocks and roots. It also can be tough to navigate because you are going through oak forests where the trees are evenly spaced out and there is no visible trail. it was tough the first year, because some crazy wind storm came through and tore the hell out of the first 30 miles. They did a great job cleaning it up the best they could, but it still ended up being very slow. It was a very nice fall run and it is the best looking of all my belt buckles.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Professional Antagonist

Never seen this site before.  Some races not listed elsewhere.

I stopped updating the calendar in 2009 due to the sheer volume of new ultras, but it's still a decent resource.  I tried to add as many as I could.  If anyone's looking for a fun project, feel free to make a new calendar using this as a base resource.  Wink

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I ran Ozark last year. It is a lot of hidden rocks and roots. It also can be tough to navigate because you are going through oak forests where the trees are evenly spaced out and there is no visible trail. it was tough the first year, because some crazy wind storm came through and tore the hell out of the first 30 miles. They did a great job cleaning it up the best they could, but it still ended up being very slow. It was a very nice fall run and it is the best looking of all my belt buckles.

I saw your name (again) on the 12 hour run in Terre Haute, IN.  3 mile loop I think in June.  May consider that instead of a Spring 100 - shoot for 60-70 miles.

How was that setup and 12 hours of your life?

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

I love that race.  I have done it the last four years.  I am biased towards fixed time races, but I think it is really cool.  It is 2/3 trail, 1/3 road.  There is one main aid station, but I always camp, and you end up running through the camping area, so you can set up a table for yourself there.  The only drawback is that it can get really, really ot and humid there.  I spent a lot of time trying to ice up water bottles and handkerchiefs last year.  I will definitely be there again this year. 

12 hours is nice.  It flies by.  Long enough to get a great long race in, but not enough to knock you out for months.

http://hawthornhalfdayrelay.com/

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

who knows...

fairly up to date

Heh. I know the guy who runs that site. Nice guy. 

--MTA to say only nice things since LastPlaceJason is actually reading this thread Smile

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                            corland

I stopped updating the calendar in 2009 due to the sheer volume of new ultras, but it's still a decent resource.  I tried to add as many as I could.  If anyone's looking for a fun project, feel free to make a new calendar using this as a base resource.  Wink

Small world.  We ran together for a bit in Lowell last August.  Your running attire was certianly unique!

I really wish the Old Farts were doing the 100k in June again.  That would be perfect.   

Tim Hardy

www.run100s.com

Pretty extensive by calndar list of any length of ultra in the country on here.