Ultra Runners

Hardrock 100 (Read 649 times)

July 08, 2011

The eighteenth running of the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run is scheduled to start at 6:00 am, Friday July 8, 2011, in Silverton, Colorado. In 2011, the course will be run in the counter-clockwise direction - a big loop through the San Juan Mountains of beautiful southwest Colorado: 100-miles plus 33,992 feet of climb and 33,992 feet of descent for a total elevation change of 67,984 feet with an average elevation of 11,186 feet - low point 7,680 feet (Ouray) and high point 14,048 feet (Handies Peak).

Good luck cgerber!

Imminent Catastrophe

Bucket list.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

So I'm in the Tejas Trails facebook group, and the main dude keeps posting pics of stuff that I'm pretty sure is on the Hardrock course.  I think he must be helping to mark the race.  Cool.

DoppleBock

http://www.klaseklof.com/runs/HR06/06.HTML

Set of pictures from 2006

Part 1-6 basically takes you through the whole course -

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Imminent Catastrophe

So I'm in the Tejas Trails facebook group, and the main dude keeps posting pics of stuff that I'm pretty sure is on the Hardrock course.  I think he must be helping to mark the race.  Cool.

Yeah, the Hill Country looks just like the San Juans. Easy mistake.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xor

Yeah, the Hill Country looks just like the San Juans. Easy mistake.

Yes, well.  You and I both know there ain't nothing like Handies in Texas.

July 08, 2011

The eighteenth running of the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run is scheduled to start at 6:00 am, Friday July 8, 2011, in Silverton, Colorado. In 2011, the course will be run in the counter-clockwise direction - a big loop through the San Juan Mountains of beautiful southwest Colorado: 100-miles plus 33,992 feet of climb and 33,992 feet of descent for a total elevation change of 67,984 feet with an average elevation of 11,186 feet - low point 7,680 feet (Ouray) and high point 14,048 feet (Handies Peak).

Good luck cgerber!

Thanks Steve!!!  Already down in Silverton, soaking up the thin air and scouting the course.

I've got some photos up in these two albums (so far):

Volume I:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150225192582314.313918.615607313

Volume II:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150227218177314.314765.615607313

Kalsarikännit

I think Joe has done Hardrock several times.  I think he barely missed making the cutoff at the finish a few years ago.

Cgerber, best of luck.  What an awesome undertaking.  I am so impressed.  Almost 34,000 feet of downhill makes my legs hurt just sitting here.  From having done this in the past, how well marked is the course (or is it at all)?  I think I read that it involves some route-finding or previous course knowledge.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

The course is adequately marked, but not "well" marked like most races.  It's good to review the course description and maps well... plus course photos. 

Kalsarikännit

Completing the Barkley is one of the ways you can qualify for Hardrock.

Good luck with that.  Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

You'll ruin your knees!

I think Joe has done Hardrock several times.  I think he barely missed making the cutoff at the finish a few years ago.

Cgerber, best of luck.  What an awesome undertaking.  I am so impressed.  Almost 34,000 feet of downhill makes my legs hurt just sitting here.  From having done this in the past, how well marked is the course (or is it at all)?  I think I read that it involves some route-finding or previous course knowledge.

Two years ago, Joe finished unofficially. Was 45 min over cut off. Another year, he got pulled with 18 miles left. Other than those two, he has 7 or 8 finishes. I have paced him a fee times and it is killing me not being there this year. Joe is one of the few who are able to mark the course other than race founder Charlie Thorn. Oh,, and Joe does a lot of his Hardrock training at Bandera in the hill country... Go get 'em Chris!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Stunning photos all the way around.

Good luck, Chris!!  I can't even imagine . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jeff F

Free Beer

All I can write, is WOW!

Only in my dreams!

Sometimes dreams become reality....

*gulp*

Time for a nervous poo...

Imminent Catastrophe

I am in awe.