Ultra Runners

Another great USA 24 hour performance (Read 329 times)

DoppleBock

http://www.hinsonlake24hour.com/2010.html

On a day that reached mid to upper 90s

A course that is trails & some sandy spots

Mike Morton - Former Western States winner 1997 - 153.89 miles

Congrats Mike - I dodged a bullet -

Now the men's list is

Jurek 165.7

Henze 154.48

Morton 153.89

Krogmann 140.1

Automatic (National Champ race)

Arbona 156.49 (150.5 @ 2009 worlds)

McCarthy 139.25 (151.5 in qualifying period) - 154.3 PR

Coury 136.13

That makes the buble spot either 153.89 if Jurek changes his mind or 140.1

4 good races left

24 the hard way - Oklahoma (Oct)

San Franciso 24 (Oct)

Nick Coury has a 24 hour race in AZ (Name?) (Dec)

Accross the years in AZ (Dec)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

I dodged a bullet -

4 good races left

24 the hard way - Oklahoma (Oct)

San Franciso 24 (Oct)

Nick Coury has a 24 hour race in AZ (Name?) (Dec)

Accross the years in AZ (Dec)

You definitely dodged a bullet (thank God).  I think they pointed this out on the ultralist.

I don't think the Coury's one is going on this year.  I may be wrong, but the one that was held last year that Amy P-W won was held because of ATY's one year cancelation.  I know there are two 24 hour's on New Year's Eve in NC and Florida.  I think Annette Bednosky may be running the one in NC.  There is also a 24 in Iowa on Oct 30th, and one in Boulder this weekend.  I thought the Boulder one would be tougher, but it is a 1/1 according to Ultrarunning.  SF draws some good runners and has a nice running surface. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Mike's was definately a great performance with the conditions and I look forward to seeing what he will do in better race conditions - My 154.48 was under near ideal conditions and with great competition.  Competition in the 1st 16 hours is tough as it is easy to get pulled out of your race plan - The last 8 hours it great - to keep you focussed through the pain.

Maybe he will take a crack @ Jurek's AR in Brugg (I hope)

Funny this imaginary place / thing ultra-list.  I hear it referred to many times - But have no idea what it is ... It tried once, but it seemed to be something people had to signup for or become a member.

Some people maybe thought I was a bit arogant for not running north coast - But lets face it I am fat and out of shape - Why run a race you can not be competative in.  Next year I hope to actually be in shape for it.

Funny on Coury's race - Someone PM'd me saying he talked to Nick after NorthCoast and was thinking about running it?

So lot's of bullets to dodge in the next 3 months.

I really need to improve my performance at Worlds 2011 if I make it or I will be either on the bubble or below the bubble.

Time to start training and going on a diet - 40# need to go by January 31st!

Kalsarikännit

Some people maybe thought I was a bit arogant for not running north coast

No one thought that.  You choose the races that are right for you.  There was no reason for you to race it.

You are not missing much with the ultralist.  I get it in digest form and try reading it during my commute on my Blackberry.  Most messages just keep repeating old messages or look like hfvHOjdhgfdhfjGUILdhfjdhfuhGufhdjsfhdHUJjshfudhf.   You aren't missing a ton.

cpev

>>>>>> David

Here's the race page for Nick Coury's event: http://aravaiparunning.com/aravaiparunning/page.php?38

At least for now it looks like he's having it. Not many people have signed up yet though. I'm going to decide by Sunday whether I want to get in shape for it.

Regarding the list, I agree with you Smile Ray Krolewicz can be entertaining sometimes though (and informative).

Kalsarikännit

Hi Chris.

I didn't realize we had another RA'er at NC24.  Of course I can get to be pretty self-involved around the time of these big races Big grin.   You may have come up and slapped me on the head and I wouldn't have known.

Looks like we have another young former xc and track guy who is about to start tearing up ultras.  Another Zach G maybe?  (Or maybe it's just the Cleveland/Chicago thing that makes me think like that.)

If you are looking to get into more fixed time events, DoppleBock is very wise and always helpful with his advice.  (I know...it is wonderful of me to offer his help.) 

Kalsarikännit

Here's the race page for Nick Coury's event: http://aravaiparunning.com/aravaiparunning/page.php?38

Nick should consider putting this on the Ultrarunning calendar.

That looks nice.  Really nice.  Oh, boy.  I registered for Tecumseh, but that can be deferred.

DB...this would be a good time to tell me all the reasons that this is a bad idea.

DoppleBock

Nick should consider putting this on the Ultrarunning calendar.

That looks nice.  Really nice.  Oh, boy.  I registered for Tecumseh, but that can be deferred.

DB...this would be a good time to tell me all the reasons that this is a bad idea.

Funny - but Chris's crew was exactly accross from our spot and I did not realize it was him until after the race had ended.

Wrigley - Do you really think you will be recharged in 2 months - I think you need a nice long period of just training and taking care of your body ... unless you think you are going to crack out 135 miles ... that is what it will take to take the bubble spot from Susanna ... andlets face it if you run 135 ... you might as well hit 137 to take the #1 open spot from Jamie and bump Jill to #3.

I know for 1st hand experience that I can not tell you what to do ... so I just present my train of thought and let you make your choice.

Kalsarikännit

I know.  Plus I am running a tough-ish 100 miler in November.  I just got sooo excited about this because it sounds so nice (and is not on pavement).

Another RA'er already wrote to me and reminded me that I am dumb.  Sometimes I forget.  Big grin

DoppleBock

I know.  Plus I am running a tough-ish 100 miler in November.  I just got sooo excited about this because it sounds so nice (and is not on pavement).

Another RA'er already wrote to me and reminded me that I am dumb.  Sometimes I forget.  Big grin

I would never call a Chicago girl dumb - I do not want to get my chops busted

DoppleBock

If they do not change the criteria for making the team - It will be tough again for 2012 - with the US champs race the best place to make the team

Current list for 2012 would be

Women

<colgroup><col span="6" width="64" /></colgroup>
                        Connie Gardner 141.42 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs
                        Anna Piskorska 133.23 2010 World Champs Brive  
                        Anne Riddle Lundbla 133.13 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs
                        Deb Horn   129.13 2010 World Champs Brive

Men

<colgroup><col span="6" width="64" /></colgroup>
                        Scott Jurek 165.7 2010 Worlds  
                        Serge Arbona 156.48 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs
                        Michael Henze 154.48 2010 Worlds  
                        Mike Morton 153.89 2010 Hinson Lake  

You'll ruin your knees!

You going back to Bandera for Cactus Rose?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Morton's performance in the heat is mind-boggling!

Chris - at NC I was pulling for you too. (I met you a couple months back at a training run - we ran a few miles.) But I did not arrive to Edgewater until nightfall. I didn't see much or your run (or anyone elses) until about 11 hours in. You were tracking along well at that time (wrigleygirl too). 

How is recovery?

DB, glad to hear you're not the bubble boy

Kalsarikännit

You going back to Bandera for Cactus Rose?

I've never done Cactus Rose and won't be doing it this year.  I will do it eventually, just because I think that is one of the prettiest belt buckles I have ever seen.  (It's all about the buckles Smile).

I will be back for my third Bandera 100k in January.  Hill Country is so cool.  I still say that the grilled cheese there is my all time favorite ultra food.  I registered a few days ago, so Joe is probably out buying more rocks with my money.   Will you be there?