Ultra Runners

Anyone able to weigh in on this??? (Read 516 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Hardrock was the focus for me in 2010, and now that it is no longer an option, I am turning to other options.  Many races are already closed, but this one caught my eye... 

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience in Montana running...

Swan Crest 100

The Run:

The Swan Crest 100 will take runners north from the town of Swan Lake along the crest of the Swan Range, ending in the town of Columbia Falls. You will be running through the Flathead National Forest , crossing sections of the Swan Lake, Spotted Bear and Hungry Horse ranger districts. The run is a point-to-point and consists of 90% single track, 6% dirt roads and the rest just a wee bit of pavement. There is no flagging along the single track sections along the trails that follow the Swan Crest.  Critical junctions at the start, when you drop down to the valley at mile 65 and the roads to the finish will be marked.  The trails along the Swan Crest are in good shape, are regularly used and well signed.  This is where you need to be efficient with your map reading skills and feel comfortable in a remote back country setting.  If you have a tendency to get lost or take wrong turns, for some the trail sections will be run in the night, this is something to consider when deciding to partake in this run.   The Swan Range is home to a healthy population of GRIZZLY bears, so if you have any bear phobias, this is something to consider. The run will finish at the Columbia Falls high School where there will be hot showers, dinner and awards.

Other considerations are:

Leadville (not particularly appealing, as it draws a bunch of runners)

Superior Sawtooth (don't know much about this one, daughter is in MN)

Plain (have had my eye on this for a while, but I've already run 100 in the Cascades)

Grindstone (billed as toughest 100 in the East... appealing)

Another that has caught my eye is the Gila Gundred (in Gila Nat'l Forest, NM)... not much on it yet, but I know the RD. 

Time to make new plans...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The King of Beasts

You could join me in Leadivlle, though I doubt I could keep up.

Swan Crest sounds like it could be nice and gritty.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Wasatch Speedgoat

Lynn, that was to be my back up race if I didn't get into Hardrock....looks awesome, but it's going to fill quickly with a limit of only 50 runners, so you better enter fast.

I might be pacing a friend of mine who has a good shot at winning if none of the big dogs show up....

Run Gila, I might run the 50 if I'm back living in NM and only 50 because I'm going back to the Bear.

Life is short, play hard!

Swan Crest looks really appealing.  I was up there, briefly, about 15 years ago... beautiful area. 

Leadville is a pretty boring course (tons of dirt/paved road), but it's easy to crew/pace.  I could help you out too, if you needed anything (it's less than 2 hours from my house).

The Gila really has my attention too.  I ran Ghost Town and really like the remoteness of the Gilas. 

My Hardrock/Wasatch backups were Bighorn and Cascade Crest.  Both look really nice.  The wildflowers at Bighorn are supposed to be off the hook. 

Lynn - weren't you going to do WS this year?
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

You'll ruin your knees!

Lynn - weren't you going to do WS this year?

Nah, I'm automatic next year as a member of the last class of 2TLs (2 time losers). 

I've crossed Leadville off the list, Chris is right and that is the main reason I haven't gone there before.  Swan Crest is in the lead right now, although it is tight timing with Hardrock if I want to go up and pace/crew there.  Gila still is waiting for permitting, which means it may be a crap shoot as to whether it even happens (not starting any rumors here, just know the permitting isn't complete). 

I've already done Bighorn and Cascade, yep, those are two great races and I hope to go back some day, just not yet.  Superior is still on my list as one that is near my daughter in St Paul and perhaps DW would come and visit with DD and new grandson (due in June) while I go play on the shores of Lake Superior...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

There's a new 100 miler in western Colorado, on the Grand Mesa.  I can't speak for the race, but the area is pretty nice...sort of the interface between the Colorado Plateau (desert) and the mountains.

Grand Mesa 100

There's also that new one in Ashland, OR...it looks pretty sweet too.  (though I still think, of all the options, the Montana one looks the best to me).

http://www.roguevalleyrunners.com/P2P100/raceinfo.html

tbrider

I live in the Flathead Valley and have hiked parts of the trail/route.  It's absolutely gorgeous!!  I have already volunteered to help out and hope this run is well attended!!

Elise

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
                    - George Bernard Shaw

Buffalo Run, 50m, 3/27/10
                    Big Horn, 50m, 6/19/10
                    Lean Horse, 100m (!!??) , 8/28/10

You'll ruin your knees!

I live in the Flathead Valley and have hiked parts of the trail/route.  It's absolutely gorgeous!!  I have already volunteered to help out and hope this run is well attended!!

Elise

If I don't go to Silverton to crew/pace a buddy, this is my race of choice.  That said, do I need to worry about grizzlies???  They certainly make a point to let you know you will be in Grizzly country on the race web site... loved the comment about bringing dogs!

tbrider

Yes there are bears, mostly blacks but grizzlies too.  I've never met either thank goodness!!  A lot of the trail is used a bit by hikers so it's not way remote and I've not "heard" of any grizzly encounters along these sections of the Alpine #7, but bear spray is required I believe!!
                        runnermom61

Grindstone (billed as toughest 100 in the East... appealing)

I haven't run Grindstone (yet?), but I've run on part of the course.   I've heard a lot of good things about it.  Check out the course profile...you'll either be going up or down the entire time.

Good fall ultra, beautiful area of Virginia, 6:00 pm Friday start, great R.D.