Ultra Runners

Diana Finkel at Hardrock (Read 389 times)

This is exciting!  Diana Finkel left Grouse Gulch in first place overall with a 19 minute lead on the Nick Pedatella.  Usual suspects like Karl Meltzer and Scott Jaime are lagging about an hour back.  Hers is a truly amazing performance so far.  There are 42 miles remaining, including the summit of 14er Handies Peak, so the race is far from over.  On the other hand, last year Diana was 3rd overall, setting the women's counter-clockwise course record, so there's a good chance that she'll be able to keep up a good pace the rest of the way.  Darcy Africa, who also holds many trail 50 and 100 mile course records, is also about an hour back and could break 30 hours if not the top 5 as well.  I wish I was up there right now.  Results

Kalsarikännit

It is amazing to have a woman doing so well!  This is going to be fun to watch.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Diana is still first at Sherman.  23 minute lead.  Absolutely incredible!

You'll ruin your knees!

Dianna's lead is down to just under 20 min with 15 miles to go.  She and Jared Campbell are about to reach Cunningham Gulch (last aid station) and it will be an absolute zoo with excitement for the leaders, esp with Dianna leading!  Wow, this is exciting!  Leaving Cunningham, there is a (another) big, hairy, nasty climb over a 13,000 foot pass for the first 3 miles, then basically 7 miles to drop 4,000 feet down into Silverton and the finish... simple! 

Goooo CG!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

Down to 5 minutes at mile 91, it's going to be a close one!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You'll ruin your knees!

What's really cool is that from Cunningham, you can see the runners as they head up the climb above (on some of the exposed switchbacks) off and on for 45 min to an hour!  It is likely that Jared can see Dianna above him and that she can see him below... THAT can screw with your head if... both good and bad ways!  It is likely that experience will be a huge factor here (I believe Dianna has more than Jared at HR, not sure)... but if he is still in contact with her at the top, I don't see her holding him off.  Her best shot is to put him away on this climb!

Go CG!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Kalsarikännit

Bummer. Still, pretty amazing.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Jared finished in 27:12, Diana in 28:32.  Darcy Africa has a shot at sub-30 and top 5 as well.  Some amazing performances out there this year.  http://twitgoo.com/17tqtc

I'm noboby, who are you?

Jared finished in 27:12, Diana in 28:32.  Darcy Africa has a shot at sub-30 and top 5 as well.  Some amazing performances out there this year.  http://twitgoo.com/17tqtc

Darcy 4th 30:14. 

"33,992 feet of climb and 33,992 feet of descent for a total elevation change of 67,984 feet, at an average elevation of over 11,000 feet"

That's one  tough MF of race and two damn fine ladies that can crank.

You'll ruin your knees!

Dianna's Finish on video... with interview

She experienced bad cramping beginning after the Pole Creek aid station... basically the entire last 20 miles!  Probably explains the slowdown.  Jared Campbell wins with a great run, he now has five finishes! 

I'm noboby, who are you?

Dianna's Finish on video... with interview

She experienced bad cramping beginning after the Pole Creek aid station... basically the entire last 20 miles!  Probably explains the slowdown.  Jared Campbell wins with a great run, he now has five finishes! 

Wow did you see the swelling in her hands?  Anyone know what action the medical folks suggested? I doubt very much she was dehydrated and would suspect some degree of hyponatremia (too little salt and too much water).

Just curiuos

You'll ruin your knees!

I believe the swelling could be an indication of either too much or too little water.  Her course of action would depend on what she has done in the past few hours...  drinking a lot/not peeing... need to get electrolytes in balance and hold off on fluids... not drinking... pump fluids!!!   It all depends.

Purdey

Self anointed title

She is awesome!

THAT is how my hands looked after my 100 last year.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson