Ultra Runners

Anyone ever done the 24-Hour "Around the Lake" race in Massachussetts? (Read 359 times)

Chantilly75

I'm also looking at this 24 hr. race, but am unsure about the weather.  Other than that it looks ideal..

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Home Away From Home

I buddy of mine ran it last year, he had a good time and said it was a good race. He is probably going back this year as well and maybe I am too.  Here is his page if you want to ask him a question directly, he doesn't belong to this forum. http://www.runningahead.com/logs/3494abf900b9479198f0ae2563df93a3

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

SillyC

Hi!

Haven't run it, but I'm relatively local, and several of my friends have.  This is what I got out of them:

1) Very well run and well organized.

2) Getting there on time is a huge pain in the ass because of rush hour Boston traffic.  You will need to plan ahead for that.

3) A lot of people show up, run for a bit, then meh, decide to go home.  Plus or minus?  You decide.

4) It's New England. People here are rather stoic.   So, no whiners...  but also, there's also probably less of a cheering section than you've grown to expect.

Anyhow, they did make it sound good enough that I'm interested!

Chantilly75 - in what way are you unsure about the weather?  I think at that time of year, the weather is pretty unsure.  It could hit 100 during the day, but that would be poor luck.  Most of the time, that time of year, it would hit the low to mid 80s during midday, but drop low enough at night that you might want a long-sleeved shirt if you sat down.

Chantilly75

Sillyc  That's what I meant about the weather, 80-100 would be too hot for me to run all day. The night would be ok, though.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

---On the comment about "no cheering section", When I do a 24-hour race, it is about me within myself, and what I can do.  So I don't consider it a negative in any way that there would be little in the way of 'cheering section".   That is actually a bit of a plus for me.  :-)

---As to the weather, I too was concerned about that, but I have actually completed some research on the weather for this race.  Here is what I found:

2012:  Low was 63.  High was 79.   (Pretty good...)

2011:  Low was 66.  High was 79.   (Pretty good...)

2010:  Low was 64.  High was 84.   (A little hot)...

2009:  Low was 62.  High was 73.   (Close to perfect : -)

2008:  Low was 66.  High was 77.   (Prety good...)

So the 5 year range has a low of 62-66, and a high between 73-79 with one 84 degree day...  Looks like it ends up pretty good weatherwise.

(You know what this means now that I have done research, right?  Early heat wave in 2013 with a low of 78 and a high of 96!  Approve )

All said, I will decide personally after I see how I do in my April 24-hour race.  But at this point, odds are pretty high that I will be going :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Kalsarikännit

there's also probably less of a cheering section than you've grown to expect.

I'm out. I only do the 24's where people are lining the course three deep with cowbells and motivational signs.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

On On

I'm out. I only do the 24's where people are lining the course three deep with cowbells and motivational signs.

Wrigley, we got this at 3 Days.  I'll see you there in May.  Smile

Kalsarikännit

Purdey has dibs on me in May. You can have me in March. Get my screaming fans ready.  Wink  (Oh, and maybe a couple shifts of people for L Train and Greg_C since they will be out there a long time.)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey has dibs on me in May. 

Woo Hoo.  Hear that bitches? I has dibs on WG.

3 days at the fair lined with cowbells?  I'm not certain if I could take cowbells for 24 hours straight?!  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞