Ultra Runners

2012 RAers Race Calendar (Read 2137 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well, when I signed up for the 50k+ on the 25th of March I thought that it was two weeks after the

marathon that I'm running on the 17th of March.  Turns out that I can't read a calendar or subtract.  

Since they are actually only eight days apart I will have to give this a little more thought.  On the other

hand since I was only hoping to just finish the ultra I will probably still give it a go.  

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well, when I signed up for the 50k+ on the 25th of March I thought that it was two weeks after the

marathon that I'm running on the 17th of March.  Turns out that I can't read a calendar or subtract.  

Since they are actually only eight days apart I will have to give this a little more thought.  On the other

hand since I was only hoping to just finish the ultra I will probably still give it a go.  

Just run the marathon easy. The 50K is actually 37 miles. It is an out and back so you can turn around at any point. I have a 24 HR race 6 days later. What marathon are you running on Saturday?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes, it ihas two out and backs.

RnR USA in D.C.  I won't be running it easy if I can help it Cool

But I have pretty much decided that I will do the 50k+ re-guardless.  

I was going to take it slow any way. MTA:  Now will take it even slower.

It just threw me for a loop when I realized

yesterday that I had the timing wrong!  

steph  

xor

We're all counting on you.

Kalsarikännit

Perfesser, how was/is NZ?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

3/31  Trent  Umstead 100 mi  Raleigh, NC

Today was my last training run.

Shocked

Imminent Catastrophe

Perfesser, how was/is NZ?

Wow. Just, wow. More to follow.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Since I'm coming back from major personal and physical issues, the list is short.  Okay, it's always short, but it's even shorter this year.  I would like to get one more 50k in sometime in Sept/Oct.

04/07 - Grizzly Peak Trail Marathon, Berkeley, CA

Memorial Day Weekend - WS 3-Day Training Run (70 miles)

07/28 - Mt. Hood 50-Mile Trail Run, Mt. Hood, OR

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for asking, Wrigley. If you've ever wanted to visit New Zealand (and who hasn't?), do it in March and run this race!

It was everything I'd hoped for. Mostly nice soft singletrack through subtropical rainforest, with a technical, rooty 24km middle section and some forest road. Past beautiful lakes, rivers, waterfalls and volcanoes. Got to wade in the lake, changed to dry socks, then got to wade in another lake a few km later. Race shirt was a high-quality merino wool Icebreaker T (Anton's wearing it in that photo). Runners can decide on the spur of the moment to change distances to 60, 85, or 100k (I failed the IQ test and did the 100). We saw Hobbitton but no Hobbits. Friendly chaps all around, mostly Kiwis and Aussies, I was the only Yank in the 100, fellow RA'er pukekura was there too. And pay attention: FREE BEER AT THE FINISH.

I'd say it's comparable to Miwok in difficulty and scenery.

This Jesus-looking guy led the fun run Thursday and kept badgering me for a photo (I get that a lot).

Fun times in Lake Tikitapu

This runner broke her ankle a few km down the trail. Really.

Yes, that's an Ent in the background.

Did I mention waterfalls?

And volcanoes?

And I knocked 1 hour 24 minutes off my 100k PR so, to answer your question, it was good!

MTA: today's activity was touring underground caverns, which involved lots of stair-climbing. That was a very poor choice.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I did the 85km at Tarawera.  Was tempted to change to the 100 at the 70km, but decided to save that for next year.  Gives me time to prepare for the "loop of despair".

Would have finished faster but kept on stopping to look at the scenery, fun aid stations and injured people.

Oh, and the beer was good.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Ok. Ok.

This thread has been badgering me in my mind. (Yeah, I don't know what that means either.)

4/1  Buzzie  Fools Run 50k  Cuyahoga Valley N.P. Ohio

5/6  Buzzie  North Coast 24 hr  Cleveland, OH

10/23  Buzzie  Detroit Freep Marathon  Detroit, MI

Waiting until after this base-building phase (aka North Coast) to figure out the rest of the year ... see whether and how the wheels are attached.

Liz

pace sera, sera

TripleBock

24 hour races suck - What are you crazy!   

Ok. Ok.

This thread has been badgering me in my mind. (Yeah, I don't know what that means either.)

4/1  Buzzie  Fools Run 50k  Cuyahoga Valley N.P. Ohio

5/6  Buzzie  North Coast 24 hr  Cleveland, OH

Waiting until after this base-building phase (aka North Coast) to figure out the rest of the year ... see whether and how the wheels are attached.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Kalsarikännit

If you show up on the 21st you may end up with more competition.  Big grin

xor

Also, the tunnel will be far easier to run.

Also also, PERFESSER: you look kind of hobbit-like next to Anton.  Holy smokes.

Kalsarikännit

I've signed up for North Coast on 5/5. No other concrete race plans yet though (plantar fasciitis has been a pain lately).

It doesn't count if it isn't followed by a sub-15:21 5k two weeks later.