Ultra Runners

Endless Summer 6-hr Run, Annapolis? (Read 56 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Anyone know anything about this race? It's July 27th, put on by the Annapolis Striders, and run in Quiet Waters Park. I'm not a trail runner so I'm particularly interested in how groomed or technical the course would be. I've heard some good things about some other races they've put on, so I would hope this is also a class event.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Anonymous Guest

I have not done it, but have heard great things about it and am doing it this year. I've run in Quiet Waters a couple of times, and I believe the course is almost all, if not all, paved walking paths. Not super hilly, just a few gentle ups and downs. The only thing that makes it difficult is the weather - July weather around here is normally in the 90s with pretty high humidity. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Striders event - they know how to put on a race.

I know I know a couple people that have done it, let me see if I can find a race report or two to link........hopefully be back soon.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've got limited choices for a race at that time of year. That's enough info to convince me it's the best of what's available to me. See you there hopefully.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Anonymous Guest

Awesome! I couldn't find any race reports, so I guess I mostly heard good things by word of mouth.

I'll keep an eye out for you and say hello. And I don't know where you're coming from or if you're familiar with this area, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I live about 20 minutes from Annapolis so am pretty much a local.

Uh oh... now what?

A few nice pictures, Web site says only 26 spots still open (2:21 p.m. PDT)

I'll ask on the 'list.  We have grandchildren in that area... hmmm?

Uh oh... now what?

quote:

"I ran the inaugural running in 2011. It was very hot, mid-90s by midday, but the support was fantastic and they really took care of the runners. There were two ladies (if I recall) who stood with a hose at the halfway point all day spraying us down as we passed by.

The four mile loop is about half in shade and has some small hills but nothing major.

Afterwards, they had a barbecue and awards ceremony under a picnic pavilion. It was my first (and only, so far) timed event and I thought it was nice that everyone, of all abilities, were able to be there.

I would recommend it. I am not running it this year because I am going back to Catoctin, against my better judgement."

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm in. I'm coming from the Philly area so only about 2 1/2 hours away. I'm not an early riser so I'll stay overnight on Friday.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Uh oh... now what?

Another response:

"I've run it twice. Small friendly low key race. Four mile paved loops in small park. Parking is right at the start/finish so you have easy access to your provisions. There's one main aid station. On the course there is a water house. The RD is Mosi Smith, accomplished ultrarunner with several 100s under his belt including Badwater. I seriously love this kid. 

It's a hot time of the year. The course is partially covered.  Scenery is not interesting except running by the dog park. Which is really just a reminder that it's hot.

The food and race swag are adequate, nothing to get excited about. But then again you're not running on circles on a hot day for the food or giveaways."

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

John, sounds like it will be a good test for me. Hot and humid is a possibility for my goal race at NC 24. Better to learn now how to best deal with it.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Anonymous Guest

Wow - only three spots left as of this morning! Good thing you got in when you did. The last 20 or so spots seem to be going really fast.