Ultra Runners

Drop Bags (Read 682 times)

Probably a silly question but I'm not sure how the drop bag system typically works.  I'll be doing a 100k on Sunday and it's a 10 mile loop which says it passes by the main staging area every loop and we can access drop bags.  What types of things would you recommend I include in a drop bag?  What do you use for the actual drop bag?

My initial thoughts are a change of shoes/socks/shirt, gels, water bottle, maybe a sandwich.  It starts @ 6:00 AM so after the first loop I plan on dropping of a light and picking up hat. 

This is from the website...

Water Stops / Aid Stations

There will be water stops / aid stations approximately every 5 miles on the course. Since this is a loop course, runners of the 100K/50K will have a chance to go through the main staging area during the race and can access drop bags. The aid stations will have water, sports drink, gels, and some food, but understand that this is a trail run and there will not be stops every mile.

Steve

When I undertake races that are loops I work out how long I am going to be out on the circuit and then make up little bags of foods I will want during that time. So if I am out for an hour I will take 150-200 calories with me, say a gel, sweets or some fruit this ensures I am taking carbs onboard. I have these made up before ther race and leave them in my drop bag, the bonus is I can take my rubbish with me,in the bag and I can drop it off and pick a new one up. I tend to have my own food as I do not trust station food as I cannot assess my intake and some foods I will not have tried.

You have most of the things listed but how about some personal items maybe some sticky plasters/tape for any blisters that may occur, vaseline/grease for any sore bits, chewing gum, savoury food such as potato chips/pretzels, sunglasses, dry Buff/bandana......and most important toilet tissues/wipes

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

DoppleBock

I do not eat aide station food

I my drop bag I would have extra clothes, shoes, socks.  My food, toilet paper, vasoline, ginger root, pepto, blister care, Amodium (Spelling) my gels, Succeed S-Caps, Endurox R-4, bananas, and maybe a sandwhich or 2.  If it were a longer race - Add Headlamp, pain medication, Camel back or handhelds.

Edited -

Baby whipes

Gloves / hat depending on temps.  Rain coat.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Regarding the drop bag, I really like those clear plastic Rubbermaid style boxes.  You can pop the lid off and see everything easily.  No digging around the dark corners of a bag looking for little items.  I also tend to tape stuff to the bottom of the lid too, specifically batteries and a checklist of what to do... because I tend to get really stupid in the late hours of a race. Smile

jpdeaux

Regarding the drop bag, I really like those clear plastic Rubbermaid style boxes.  You can pop the lid off and see everything easily.  No digging around the dark corners of a bag looking for little items.  I also tend to tape stuff to the bottom of the lid too, specifically batteries and a checklist of what to do... because I tend to get really stupid in the late hours of a race. Smile

Great stuff this. Experience counts. I rooted around my bag for minutes last ultra each time I came around. And the lid tip is nice too.

And I tend to eat my own food also, but will graze at the aid stations on recognizable stuff like M&Ms and chips. But only if I'm the first person to stick my hand in the bowl. Wink

mta: cgerber, what DO you write on the checklist for during the race?

Here is one from one of my Hardrock bins from last year:

That's awesome Chris. Definitely an idea I will steal. I like those big bins or a large ice chest for loop courses. For non-loop courses where they have to transport bags I use dry sacks like the one below. I probably put way too much in my bags but basically what others have said. Body Glide, Hydropel, first aid/med kit, extra clothes, hat/gloves, tissues/wet wipes, s-caps, gels, chews, my own snacks, Gatorade GS or Clif drink mix, extra bottles, headlamp/batteries, extra shoes/socks.

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Here is one from one of my Hardrock bins from last year:

This is awesome Chris.  You guys are so organized.

The notes are brilliant, but does it really say leave sunglasses if dark? Twice?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I definitly would have missed some of these items.

xor

I thought it said "Leave glasses if dork".  heh.  But it does kind of look like that.

I can TOTALLY see leaving myself a note that says "Switch glasses".  And I can see myself leaving a nighttime aid station with glasses on my eyes, and another pair up top on my hat.  In fact, I've done that.

The green is my note, the red my pacers. Smile

Yeah, it's because the sun goes down, I put them on my hat and wind up dropping them in a creek at 2am.  Brain dead, I tell ya...  walking zombie.  I also have notes for the 3-5am A/S that say "pack sunglasses" for when the blazing sun comes up right at eye level in the mountains and blinds my cave fish hypoxic eyes.  I have notes that say "drink a glass of water".  Duh.  Big grin

Some other ones have said:

- drink a beer

- eat bacon

I think you should have a note saying

BEWARE THE SLEEP MONSTER IS BEHIND YOU

Shocked

Jerry

I think you should have a note saying

BEWARE THE SLEEP POO MONSTER IS BEHIND YOU

Agreed

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Big grin That as well

Jerry

Tasty Pie

cgerber's post ought to have a big like button pressed multiple times.  It's genius, and has me giggling at the stupidity the same time. Love it, when I get around to needing a drop bag I will definitely have to steal, notes and all.  

So far my furthest is a loop course 50k with one aid station.  I have nut allergies so steer clear of aid station food unless it's a banana or something else wrapped up and absolutely nut free. I thus packed sufficient food for myself, extra socks, gloves, epi-pen, kitchen sink etc in a little easy access Igloo cooler crammed to the brim with anything imaginable I could think of with my stick taped to it.  I also had a couple of handheld bottles primed with liquid and ready to switch out easily.  For that distance though I barely touched my stash.  Still it was reassuring knowing it was there and I was self-sufficient.

Thanks for everyone's advise.  My original intent was to just mainly count on the aid station food but changed my mind after hearing most of you bring your own. I ended up bringing more food than I had planned and was very glad I did. The aid stations had no food until I was about 50k into the race.  I was able to eat a lot early in the race, but towards the latter part of the race started to get a queasy stomach and was worried about tossing my cookies.

The weather was perfect and it was a really nice trail, with great people.  First time running with a headlight also so that was fun.  I ordered it online and it came in 2 days ago.  So other than using it to barbecue in the dark it was my first time using it at all.