Womens Running

(Over 40) Veterans weekend (Read 23 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Off in a few to go to Dh's 8K.

Good luck to racers.  I know Damaris is doing a double. Who else is racing?

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Good luck Marjorie, Damaris and Karen! Anyone else racing today?

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Anonymous Guest

Good luck to DH today and to you to tomorrow Marjorie!

And to Damaris on both days! Damaris, you're much better trained than I was when I did a double, so you'll probably get through it with much less pain and agony than I did! Just remember to eat and drink as much as you can between the end of today's race and the start of tomorrow's. I vaguely remember getting really hungry around mile 8 of day two...

I'm racing a 10K tomorrow in DC. Flat and fast. I ran it last year and just looked up the results - I was fourth in my AG. Hope I can do a little better this year, but it all depends on who shows up and how my legs feel. I'll probably run around 10 or so today nice and easy, just because I've hardly run this week.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Dh finished around an hour 16 min. Guess there were several hills and lots of sand/trail.   Winer came in a little over 30 something min. He wasn't last so he was happy. Since he did no trails or hill work that's not so bad. He leaves to go do his fish extravaganza soon.

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I'm back from 10.6 miles. I felt pretty good, and it was a perfect day for it - classic NC fall weather, cool and sunny. We're going to take the two older boys to see Thor this afternoon.

Marjorie - nice job for DH!

Karen - you've gotten so speedy, I bet you'll have a good race tomorrow.

Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

camille2

Good luck tomorrow ,Demaris and Marjorie!!  Also to Karen!

I'll write a longer note tomorrow morning but we finished Chickamauga-the half for me and the full for Jane.  I do love the race. Jane ended  up with Grandmaster's title but that's a longer story.  Karen, you should meet her. You're both speedy and committed racers and would prob have a lot in common.

Happy weekend everyone!  Ran 12 with RC today then met with running coach -- recapped how NYC went, talked about training strategy for the next month and for CIM on 12/8.  DH left for the Philippines yesterday (he's from there originally, has a couple small companies there) and fortunately the mega-typhoon has moved on and didn't cause too much damage in his area or to his companies.  Nothing that can't be fixed, anyway.

Lots of racing this weekend!  Fleet feet and happy running tomorrow to Damaris, Marjorie, and Karen!

Congrats to everyone who raced today -- Mr. Marjorie, Damaris, and Camille!

Nice miles Cindy -- nothing like a perfect fall day for a great run.

Looking forward to race reports!

Hi to everyone else.  Sorry I haven't had a chance to catch up on the goings on from earlier this week...

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Howdy!  Rode 19.5  miles with a couple of my running buddies this morning.  Nice and cool.  Not used to the cooler weather.  Had a heck of a time figuring out what to wear.  Beautiful morning for a few laps in the park. 

Spent the afternoon sewing.  Big grin

Karen--have a great race tomorrow!

camille2

Gatsby, I hope all your hubby's family is OK.  We have friends in Fairbanks with a lot of family there and it sounds like they're ok, but what a terrible thing.

Demaris, nice pic of you and hubby.

Ginny, it sounds like you have a neat house! Are you do the Santa hustle half again? I'm going to pass on the one in Tn this year.

Tessa, I'm with Carol. Think I missed something. Didn't know hubby was going to get radiation. Hugs to all of you.

I said I'd tell you a little more about Chickamauga. Jane came in on Thursday. She's a serious racer who won a gold/silver at National Sr. games in the 5 and 10k. She was hoping to win Grand Masters and she did in 3:39 (she's 58). How she won was interesting. Initially, she was 3rd in AG, but a guy was included. Then, a 59 yr old  woman had run a 3:24 or 3:26, so they gave her Masters. That moved Jane up to Grandmasters. She was thrilled.  Note: when I was in Fairbanks, during the last year or two of my AG bracket,  I had to run against her and the gal there who usually beat her : )

The race was great, but a chilly 34 in the morning and it only warmed up to a cloudy, cool feeling 50's. It's  a pretty course with the monuments and big trees. As you know, I haven't trained much since I've been back and haven't been wearing my Garmin. I ran a 2:23 chip, I think. Considering my training, I was happy.

LC Runs

Happy Weekend, Ladies Smile

10 solo miles yesterday and 7 this morning with a friend in very windy conditions yikes!  Oh well, at least the sun is shining lol

Marjorie - great job to DH!  What are you racing today??  Good luck and have fun!

Hi Karen - enjoy the 10k today - you are a racing machine!!

Cindy - we were kind of virtual running partners Saturday (minus the .6 lol).  How was the movie??

Camille - great job to you and Jane!

Hi Gatsby - great 12!

Sue - your weekend sounds nice!

Big grin

Mostly jogged and with some walking but 6 miles this morning on combination of limestone and mountain bike trail.  rolled and icing.  Will see how things feel tomorrow. Average was a 14:30 pace.  Felt pretty darn good.  The first few steps were followed by "gravity sucks" comment but I got used to the feel and all in all it felt fine.  Had run buddy Katie with me to share the momentous return.

New Jersey Marathon May 5, Surgery July 8, First real run November 10.

I need to figure out the shoe thing.. I think I do need some support in the right foot, just "feels" like it's rolling inwards. I know that I need to continue with the strength stuff. We added the new Hell of Hamstring Curls on the ball to my 2 hour routine.

Good luck to all the real runners... I'm sure that you're done by now.

Lisa

Bikerchick1

LCruns - WIll you turn the heat on up there for next week-end Big grin.....long range forecast isn't looking too bad....could be worse.  Nice job on the run!  Are you still loving your job?

Lisa - So thrilled for your run today!!!  Are they going to be having any of the FA runs on trails this winter?  Somehow my little "running" group has a Rim-Rim run in their heads....oye...course, I can't turn down an invitation so will probably go with them, so was thinking of those FA trail runs...

Ran 8 with RB's today.  Was a great run.

Carol

Anonymous Guest

44:06 this morning, second fastest 10K I've done, I think. Good enough for 2nd in my age group. Love me some flat, fast, fall racing in DC!

Ooh, Carol, if you do a rim to rim run, I think you need to take your favorite forumite Karen. That is so on my bucket list. Are you fb friends with Marian that used to post in RWOL? She did that a month or so ago and posted a bunch of pictures.

Lisa, I'm doing a happy dance for you right now in my living room. So so so so glad to see you running.

Dang Camille, your friend is a fast 58 year old! And it sounds like I better do Chickamauga while I'm still in my 40s, cuz that's some fast 50s ladies.

Gatsby, thankful that DH's companies in the Philippines are okay.

Cindy, how did you like the movie? I've heard people say it's better than the first one. Then again, I haven't seen the first one...

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

13.1. I dnf'd. Didn't want to walk the last 13.1. hip started to ache a bit and I dint want to go into pain. Shame as I was going to PR. Was on pace for a 445 and it felt easy. First hill, even though just minor did it in I think even though I was still on pace. By the time I got to the trail part I had to walk as I didn't want to get hurt. Mile 12 I told the guy to call the van. Had them meet me at 13.1.

The course on OBX is just gorgeous. Truly is amazing. The first few miles is along the inlet and are just beautiful homes. I ran with a girl for several miles. She lives in NC now but was originally from Michigan outside Grand Rapids. My stomach totally cooperated. No issues at all weather was perfect.

There were 2 corals. Plenty of porta potties. Drop off was across the street at the Elementary school. There were indoor toilet there but line was huge so just went over to the race. Chatted with several runners. One guy had done Hatfield. He loved it too

Nice rendition of the National Anthem and they let the elites go. 2 min later we were off  there were two corals and I lined 3/4 back in the last one. Settled into pace keeping it easy.  There were bunches of green bows out from time to time. I think it was just to mark the course. At least that is what the girl I was running with and I determined.

The road road we traveled down was residential and very nice. Sun a little bright as we were running SE and it was 730. Bunch of supporters out. Little kids wanting fist bumps and high fives. We all accommodated them. Saw several people struggling early on. Cramping I think. I felt good and kept it easy. Inner eye on my hip doing constant checks in any issues. A few miles in was a kid singing on the karaoke. When we passed he was doing the ABCs. Must have been 3. We gave him some claps as we went by. Soon we are turning into a little neighborhood and this is a very small (very) small uprise as you go up it and around the corner. As we got close to the Wright Brothers memorial you go up on a sidewalk and paved path. On that awhile and felt the hip a little. Knew I'd have to stop running soon. about another mile I decided to walk with some run. Come around the memorial and cut through the grass to another path. Smiled for the photographer. Pass a kid using one if the traffic cones as a megaphone to sing Eye if the Tiger. Enter the woods. Walking now. Volunteers are great. but mile 12ish ine of the bike patrol guys comes by and I tell him i can make it out of the woods but I need the van. I didn't want to walk 13 more miles even if I'd still PR. The trail areas are beautiful. Packed dirt but some rocks snd roots so had to be careful and some slippery sand. Some steep inclines. I think, as I go Tessa and Lisa would live this part.

Aid stations are great. They are so nice. Come out at 13.1 and the Van is there for me. We drive to the finish (this is a point to point race) and it is slow to get there with lane closures. When we get to the big bridge there is a runner down and EMS. He is sitting so not passed out. Do see another down on the bridge. van driver lets me call dh so he knows i will be in early. It took 45 min to get to mother finish line then walk to family area to find dh. The after party was huge and tons of people everywhere. I get a water. Find dh and we go to the shuttle to get to the finish parking area. He didn't bring my provision bag. If I'd have finished I'd have been unhappy as it had everything I wanted to eat and I'm getting cold. He didn't bring my jacket either. I pull my arm Warmers back up. We get in the bus. Takes 20 min. Get off at the high school only for dh to realize he didn't park there. This is after walking the whole parking lot. I'm freezing so dh gives me his fleece. I was swimming in it as it us huge in me. Wait for the bus again so we can get back in to go over to the Elementary school. I asked dh before we got off at the high school if this was where he parked. He is such a guy. He said yes. Um no and the other school looks nothing like the HS. Get my bag, get in the car and we drive back to the rental house.

It it was a wonderful race. It us my last and I'm okay with the dnf. I tried but didn't want to get hurt as it is more important for me to still be able to run next week versus finishing the race. Scenery wise, it is just beautiful. it is a small race but well run. No pacers. I would recommend it.

Camille that is great for your friend!

Karen that is great. With those paces you'd have been second female at the 8K yesterday and may well have won it if you'd raced the girl that took first female.

Gatsby by glad all for dh is good. I'm surprised the media coverage is not as much as other tragedies. They don't seem to cover this as extensively.

Lisa as glad to see you back running.

Marjorie