Womens Running

Any PCOS Runners? (Read 18 times)

reillyrnr

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm looking for any advice/insight from actual runners who have or/are dealt with PCOS. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and am trying to figure out how to maintain a balanced diet while running as well as mileage. The doctor who diagnosed me is not a runner and didn't offer too much medical advice other than a very general "drop all sugars and dairy" from my diet (I have since left that practice and am looking for another care provider). It was also suggested that I cut back on mileage to see if that would help but I really prefer not to. I normally run 25-35mpw but am struggling in finding good carb sources to sustain my energy. Aside from all of the PCOS criteria that I do meet, I am actually not overweight and don't feel like I need to lose weight either (one reason it took so long to diagnose PCOS).

Any tips or words of encouragement would be helpful. I am admittedly a little bummed about it. Also, has anyone tried acupuncture to treat this with any success? I tend to shy away from prescription drugs like the Metformin that was recommended.

TIA!

nolamama

CQTM

There are varying degrees of PCOS and many people are no longer meeting the standard "criteria". I was actually diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago, but don't really have any symptoms that affect my daily life, so I'm not on any sort of medication or special diet. I am somewhat curious to see why your doctor is wanting you to take metformin? PCOS is becoming more and more common and many women live completely normal lives without taking medication. It sounds like you are struggling with energy, though, is this why the doctor prescribed it?

reillyrnr

Thanks nolamama. I'm not sure why the Metformin was prescribed actually but I was feeling sluggish during the time I went in for a check up. Both of my ovaries are covered in cysts so I have abdominal pain, which I notice more on days when I run. BCPs were also another option as part of hormone therapy but I don't look forward to that either (TTC). I was basically told to eat "like a diabetic" which I was trying to figure out how to manage as a runner.

nolamama

CQTM

It sounds like you have already left the practice that diagnosed you, and I think getting a second opinion is a good option. I don't like the way that drugs are handed out without telling the patient why and what benefits will come of it. I'm sorry that you have the abdominal pain, mine is a very mild case and I suspect that it has gotten much better since having my DD. I hope you can find a doctor that will talk about different options so you can run and feel better...not just "eat like a diabetic". I'm not a lot of help but there are lots of women with PCOS out there, so you're not alone!