Womens Running

(Over 40) Wise and Wonderful Women Weekend (Read 275 times)

Linda

Judy:  Without a doubt, you will get faster by just adding more miles per week.  However, I don't think that there is anything wrong with adding a day of speedwork very early on, and it can be advantageous.  It takes longer to recover from a speed day, so you have to make sure not to do too much.    Running a race is a mental challenge.  For me, speedwork is my mental training, especially for shorter races.  If you can consistently do it in training, it is easier to reproduce it in a race.  If your goal is to run 5 or 10Ks, I would add a day of fun(ner) speedwork, like maybe adding some fartlek training to an easy run.  (No speed day is actually fun to me Smile 

Speaking speedwork, I did 4 800's followed by 6 easy miles.  They 800's were stronger than last week, and the easy miles weren't quite easy, but better than last week, too.  I am trying to work up to the Yasso 800's.  I was once up to 6 800's.  10 800's sound inconceivable, but that is my goal.  I'm going to try and get 10 easy in tomorrow & rest on Monday.

I can't talk about those poor children, but my prayers are with their families.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

ginnyb

I am so thinking of dropping out of the race this morning...why am I so afraid of failure?  My stomach is in knots....so silly.  I won't, I will do it, just am really apprehensive.  It is 52 outside, so am thinking I can just wear a shirt under the Santa shirt and be okay, I may even wear my capri tights.  Unbelievable weather for December, although it is threatening rain.  Darn it Lisa, I wish you could have run this morning.  My garmin isn't working either, it works for maybe 5 miles after that I will be on  my own , just wondering how the run/walk thing will go without my little alarm.  Okay, I will stop thinking everything negative now and go eat my english muffin.  2 ladies from Cleveland that I ran the River Run with in September and meeting here at 8...I dont' run with them really, they are much, much faster and younger than I, one of the ladies used to live in Sandusky and we are acquaintances.  I am just rambling now , wish the race started earlier, have to wait until 9!  I think I will clean the kitchen floor, keep my mind off of it...too much time.

Thanks for listening to my nonsense...

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

ginnyb

I forgot, I am also breaking my cardinal rule of not wearing my race shirt until I have completed the race, but most people wear them, we can't all have bad luck can we???  Plus it makes it more festive and fun like!  I never run with a hat either and I think I will wear the hat too...I draw a line at the beard, I have enough problems without worrying about a beard and I think I would be uncomfortable.....sorry more rambling....

Ginny

Hopefully I will be back this afternoon and have finished, no matter how slowly

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Quick post for Ginny...it'll be fun!  We all get nervous before a race.  A lot of people just wore the beard around the neck. Handy for pics and didn't bothe too much.  The shirt was comfy actually.

Bikerchick1

Ginny - I agree with Camille - we all get nerves before a race.....fun to have someone to ride with at least, even tho you don't run together.  Have a great time!

Up to get ready for run...we are doing 12 this am.  Hoping the rain holds out....it is 45 out...geesh, hard to believe it is December!  Did make it to PF yesterday...my upper body is sore today :0.

Back later!

Carol

Disney freak

Left early yesterday (6:45) to drive in to Dallas for the “Jogg’r Egg Nogg’r 5K/15K”.   The race didn’t start until 9:00, but I needed to pick up my packet, and the race was 45 minutes from my house.  They had early packet pick up, but that too, was 45 minutes from my house.

I park at the finish line and climb this monster hill to the start line. (it’s a good ¼ mile long) No one in line and I get my bib and nice long sleeve black tech  shirt with ornaments.  I walk back down the hill to put my shirt away, put on my bib and timing chip, etc.  Then I head back up the hill to hit the porta potty and stretch.  At the top of the hill I realize I forgot to eat my fruit buddy snack. (I have blood sugar issues I have to control by eating every 2-3 hours, and especially before running)  I have a discussion with myself about which is worse: traversing the hill again and being tired before the  race, or getting halfway through the race and getting dizzy.  So, I go back down again.  Luckily I have the time to rest in my car, eat my snack, and head back up – slowly.

I have very little run data.  I accidentally paused my running app while trying to figure out why my headphones weren’t playing any music.  Finally gave up on both.  So far, the only results the race people have posted have been gun times.  I emailed them, as what’s the point of wearing a chip if you don’t post the chip results?  So, what I do have is my gun time: 41:34.  I probably wasn’t under 40 (my goal), though, as the race wasn’t very big and I got over the start line within 30-45 seconds.  Oh well. 

The after race was great, though.  Since it was called the “Jogg’r Egg Nogg’r” there was egg eggnog after.  Rum, whiskey, and non-alcoholic.  There was also bananas, sodas, a beer keg, some sports drink I had never heard of, and a band.  Turns out I had parked in the last 1/10 of the race, so I had to wait for the 15Ker’s to finish.  I got a camping chair out of my car, got one (okay, maybe two) of each refreshment and listened to the band.  Another 65 degree day.  Crazy Texas weather!

I’ll definitely do it again next year, as the course was beautiful and the post-race was fun.

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
              • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
              • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
              • training for Big D half on 4/14

Disney freak

Jazzercise  is on the calendar for today.  Good thing, too, since it's hubby's birthday.  We are headed to Babe's for lunch with friends. (Texas home cooking - chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, etc) and the Cheesecake Factory for dinner date.

Carol: How was your run?  Did the rain hold off?

Ginny: How did your race go?  Did anyone get any pictures of you?

Linda: when you were talking about your “speedwork”, what is “4 800s”?

Margaret: how does a running club work?  Do you all run together, or does everyone do their own pace?

Lisa: Love the race title!

Carolyn- good for your DD, that’s hard to do at that age. (not look like everyone else)

LC – how did the cookie making go?  We made gingerbread men last night.

Karen  - remind me why you are taking swim lessons...are you training for a bi/triathlon? 

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
                • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
                • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                • training for Big D half on 4/14
                MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

No run yet and may not run. I have no voice this am and my throat was really dry. So I've not spoken a word yet today. We were supposed to go to a puppy party today for Christmas where Hammy goes for swimming. I sent them a message we wouldn't be there. If my laryngitis is contagious I don't want anyone else to get sick and don't want to be rude and not talk to anyone!

Marjorie

Linda

Lisa-Marie:  Nice report--Congratulations.  Maybe going up and down the hill before the race was a good warm up.  An ornament sounds like a great goodie bag item.   

--I amended the post.  I wasn't being very clear.  Yasso 800s are (10) 800 intervals at a very fast pace with a 400 meter recover between each interval. It is a pretty well known workout developed by Bart Yasso.  It is supposed to predictive of your marathon time.  I haven't run a marathon.  I just want to do it for the challenge of it.  I've never been able to do (10) 800s.  I may have done (8) before, but last year I could do (6) pretty reliably.  I want to work up to 10 800 intervals.

Ginny:  I am always, always nervous before I race, even when I'm not really run stressed about time.  Racing gets my stomach churning.  Good luck.  I know that you will have a great time, once you are out there.

I may not get my run in today.  My son woke up with a swollen eye.  The same son who gave me the pink eye scare a couple of weeks ago.  this time it's the other eye.  It's not pink, just swollen.  Weird.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

RunningSister

Favorite Sister of All!

Good afternoon!

Had a very busy week at work and not a whole lot of restTight lips   Oh well, I knew this month would be like that!  Haven't had a chance to review the posts, but will get back at it tonight!

Ran a HM with RB#1 today as a training run for Disney.  It was a local race and inaugural.  Loved it despite the hills!  Yep, we have hills in FL and apparently some of them are relatively steep--steeper than anything I have run on our trail!  We had a blast and RB did really great--a PR for her even tho we ran it simply as a training run. I was thrilled.  It was a HM, marathon and 5k--the town did an amazing job for a first-time event.  Incredibly nice runners, volunteers and spectators.  OMG, my heart went out to the marathoners--essentially they did the loop twice as we saw mile markers for the marathon along with our markers the entire way!  Knowing I would have to hit those hills on tired legs would be scary!!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and congrats to all the racers as well!

Sorry this is so short--BBL after I get a chance to catch up!

Happy runningCool

Julia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Keep Running! Cross the finish line! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ginnyb

ginnyb

Well I finished and my time was 2:56!  I was so happy, cause I thought I would do much worse.  My watch died at mile 6 and from mile 10 on I walked a lot , so I thought there was not way I was coming in under 3, but I did!  It was a beautiful day and very festive.  They had reindeer, and played Christmas songs...big blow ups of reindeer, santa , and snowmen....  We started at Castaway Bay, a water resort/hotel and ran the causeway to Cedar Point, the amusement park, once in the park we did 6 miles, I saw parts of Cedar Point that I didn't even know were there!  There were elves pointing out the right way and handing out goodies, ran along the water quite a bit, beach at Cedar Point looks beautiful this time of year.  Once we came out of the park again, the wind was reallly blowing hard, right in our faces of course!  That's when I kinda fell apart and walked a lot!  I am just thrilled with my time, when I came up to the finish and saw the time, I was so excited and really poured it on to come in under the 3 hour mark.  Good way to end the running season.  I hope they bring it back next year.

Ginny

Ginny-WTG!!!  so glad you had a great time and had fun!  Love the pictures!!

I am signing up for Hatfield & McCoy. North Carolina trip moved to end of June.  Will either carpool back/forth with Carol or work a trip to Cleveland/Akron offices into the trip for some mileage reimbursement. 

Think this is a nice progression:

New Jersey Marathon-early May-pancake flat road full; should PR

Hatfield & McCoy Marathon-early June-hill road full

Dances With Dirt Devil's Lake 50k-mid July in Wisconsin Dells area-hilly (ha!) trail race that dh is now looking forward to going to. 14 hour cutoff

Moose Marathon-early September-mountainous trail full in Minnesota, part of Superior Fall Trail Series (5500 elevation gain and same for loss for the full). 14 hour cutoff

Detroit Free Press Marathon-mid October-fairly flat road that should be good for PR (when have I said this before?? LOL)

Looking forward to Karen being with me for the first 3!! At least at the starting line. LOL

Really looking forward to FE at Hatfield!

Lisa

Officially registered for Hatfield and McCoy... woohoo!!!

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Yay Ginny!

Marjorie