Womens Running

Over 40 1st weekend in January is extreme (Read 18 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Weird temps abound. Some areas extreme cold others hot. We will be 70s. Then plunge next week. No snow though for us. Those getting it, be careful

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

I have a cold. There is so much crap going around I was bound to catch something, I guess, and I'd rather have a cold than the awful flu I have been hearing about. But still, sucks to wake up in the middle of the night coughing. And it's raining all weekend here, yuck.

I have Pilates at 11, then depending on how I feel probably either a TM run or trainer ride this afternoon. And take the tree down and run some errands.

Lisa, I was looking at trail races near Houston last night - looks like there's a good bit going on. The biggest of course is Rocky Raccoon, which is about 50 miles north of where I'll be.

Marjorie, we'll be mid 60s tomorrow, but mid 20s for a high at one point next week. Crazy.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - good morning!  70's...ahh, that would be wonderful...

Karen - Booo, on the cold!  Hope you get some rest, along with your errancds.

Lisa - Before we did R2R we all did some reseach on training for elevation as well as hills - esp. downhill.  One article RB from Florida found was running in hot humid weather helped with trying to acclimate to elevation.  I think the thing that helped us the most was our bleecher work outs.  And of course LOTS of trail running with hills!  Yes, to a Poto run Smile

Did 12 miles with RB's last night.  Started at 4 pm so we ended in the dark on the rail trail, was a beautiful moon, and we had our headlamps.  So glad we got that in last night as we our having snow/freezing rain today.  Would not be a fun run!

Carol

ginnyb

Did WT this morning.  Yesterday was dedicated to taking down the Christmas decoration which entails the climbing up and down the 2 sets of steps in the house, so I considered that my cross training.  I am planning a longish run tomorrow morning, but it may be the TM, predicting heavy rain, if it is TM probably not so longish!

All of you with your long runs are making me feel inadequate!  Not really, just have to work up to the mileage again.  When I think about it, after I broke my wrist in August , I really did not run as I usually would have in the Fall and then my annual winter slump set in early........

Lisa, the Planet Fitness here has those stair climbers, but I haven't ventured on one yet.  Looks like a lot of work to me!

Working today all day...yuck!  Gloomy outside with freezing rain, just lovely.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Crappy weather here.  Snowed a bit and now changing over to rain.  By noon supposed to be all rain.  Lovely.

Would have liked to have gotten out on trails.  May still but that will be in 40 degree rain. Yuck.

I also have a head cold that is venturing to lungs.  Grandkids were sick so they passed it on to a few of us.  Not getting out to run as much has kept head stuffed.  Usually sinuses are kept pretty clear with my running.  Feel fairly guilty about going to a gym with a cold too.

Marjorie-I'd prefer snow over rain at this point.

Karen-I've heard good things about Rocky Raccoon.  And since I seem to be a thing for raccoons that might bode well for me.  LOL On second thought.. no.  a 100 miler does not bode well for me.

Carol-not going to get any hot humid weather in Michigan, that's for sure.  will stick with the trail running and using stairs a lot. Also get on the stair like machines at gym and work on increasing weights for lower body workouts.

Ginny-I'm just waiting for the stair climbers to open up. they are still working on that part of gym with remodeling.  I've used them a couple of times at other gyms and they are tough.  I need to figure out settings on them.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 and weights tonight.  We broke records for warmest weather in December but I hope that does not happen to January.  Especially next weekend with Disney.

Marjorie, sounds like next week will be nice for you.

Karen, I would try to reschedule if she is willing.  Mine does it.  Feel better.

Carol, nice 12.

Ginny, nice weight training session.

Lisa, hope your weather improves.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

34 and rain.  I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Gym it will be.

Lisa

ginnyb

I don't blame you Lisa, I wouldn't do it either!   At this point I would rather have snow and I will deny ever saying that!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 7 damp, drizzly miles this morning. At least it isn't as cold as some of you have - mid 40s - but I sure am tired of the dreary weather.

Tessa - sounds like you had a great trail run yesterday. I think you're right - people will think that just because one reckless, ill-prepared person was able to complete the hike, anyone can.

Marjorie - not warm here, but it's supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow, then lows of 12 later in the week.

Karen - I hope you feel better. Colds suck.

Carol - definitely good to avoid the sleet/freezing rain. I'm hoping this winter won't be as sleety/icy as last one was.

Ginny - it's been so gloomy here too. I would even take cold if we could get some sun.

Lisa - I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to run it that either.

Damaris - I hope the weather for next weekend cooperates.

Off to finish taking the tree down. Zeke the kitty will be very disappointed to lose his favorite napping spot. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2 miles done after the puppy pool.

Pups are happily attacking new antlers that came today. They each got one this time.

Karen better sick now versus in a few weeks. Feel better

Carol it was nice to run in shorts again today. 60s when I ran today. Mild misting and very overcast

Ginny up and down the steps is cross training

Lisa I agree running seems to help me not get sick. The constant clearing of the nose seems to help. I have only gotten a few colds and they haven't been terrible.

D it will be kinda cold here next week.

Cindy I bet the kitty was fascinated with the tree.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Lisa, I don't blame you.  Cold rain sucks.

Cindy, nice job on the run.  Poor kitty.

Marjorie, nice run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ended up at the gym.  20 minutes on the stairclimber... 60 flights per machine.  I guess that will be my baseline to start from with that.  20 on the waverider and 20 on the bike.  DD and I went to see Into The Woods - that was good!

This weather is just so depressing.  Really making Christmas feel like it never happened.

Lisa

LC Runs

4 miles in the snow for me this morning...looks like we got the snow over the rain/ice.  And I agree, I prefer it to the cold rain.  Actually, it was kind of fun, my Yak Trax worked well and it was so pretty out.

Marjorie - we're supposed to get the frigid temps, too.  Today was not bad, mid 20's and little wind.  NIce 10.2!

Karen - feel better!

Carol - nice 12 miler!  It was so nice and dry yesterday, I managed to squeeze out 2 miles when I got home from Frankenmuth, beautiful day!!

Ginny - great job with the WT.  My mileage has been low, too.  I've managed to run every day, but the farthest I've gone is 6 miles.  Most of my runs over the past couple of months have been 2-5 miles (and I kind of like it lol).

Lisa - Blech to cold rain.

Damaris - good luck next weekend.  I will cross fingers that temps will be okay

Cindy - nice 7.  Hope all went well with getting the tree down

Sorry to hear so many of us are suffering from weather woes and illnesses.  Tis the season indeed.  Hang in there!  Our weather is a little on the cold side (lows in 40s, highs in 50s) but nothing too bad.  Ran 5.7 with my RC this morning, leaving early for a trail run with other RC buddies tomorrow morning.

LC, I think I'd prefer snow to icy rain too, although I've never run in YakTrax so not certain.

Lisa, at least you got your workout in!  I might have found the bed magnet too tempting.

Marjorie, I'm assuming the pups' antlers are something to eat?

Cindy, I helped my Dad take his tree down today too.  Happens every year but still makes me a little sad.

Damaris, you finally over that bug and feeling okay for Disney?

GinnyB, sure, you get credit for doing all of those stairs.  Hope your run tomorrow is outside and not on the TM.

Carol, sounds like a nice trail run for you yesterday.  Was the rail trail free of objects to trip over in the dark?

Karen, sounds like a good weekend for you to stay in bed, dreaming of trail running in Houston.

Hello to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Arimathea

Tessa

Over 40? Actually it's 48.66 for the year so far...oh, you're talking temperatures not mileage.

It was in the 30s here this morning but is supposed to be warming up this weekend.

Lisa, 34 and rainy is one of the nastiest weather combinations. My sympathy.

Re the hot humid weather, could you persuade the gym to drag a treadmill into the steam room?

Karen, sorry you have a cold.

Cindy, our newest cat (Gwen) is still missing the tree. She hid in it and tried to stop us taking it down.

Carol, glad you got the long run in before the bad weather!

Ginny, I think taking down a tree is definitely cross training.

Marjorie, I'm about to start watching the weather closely. Good thing it's Southwest and I can check a suitcase...

Damaris, I really hope it is cooler for Disney. A lot of women from the WW marathons group are going to that.

Laura, I agree, snow is better than wintry mix!

Margaret, enjoy the trail run. We did ours on Thursday.

22 for me this morning, paved all the way. I can run much faster on pavement. It was freezing in the morning but warmed up fast, I was carrying hat, windbreaker, and gloves by mile 10.

Not looking forward to weigh in tomorrow...