Womens Running

Too Cold Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 22 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

13 degrees and wind chill (-5 degrees)

Eeeek!  :::Handing out parkas:::

Post.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Ginny, much stress of the job is from dealing with the public. I can really understand that. Then there is also the stress of retirement money not really covering enough of retirement necessities. I can understand that too.

Track run for 35 minutes was good. I connected with friends, then went home and did 35 minutes of cardio DVD. I do segments that go pretty fast. Working on the waistline.

Track run today with cardio when I get home.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

LC Runs

Too cold here, for sure!  3.5 TM miles this morning.

Judy - perfect title   Great track and DVD workout!

Ginny - I totally relate to what you're saying...my job is also very mentally stressful, definitely deal with several people who just suck the life out of me, blah.  Cold and dark doesn't help, though I'm trying to look at it as every day is one day closer to Spring Ha ha!

Office day, then Music Boosters meeting tonight.   Fun stuff lol

Have a great day, everyone!

Bikerchick1

Judy - Agree on "Too Cold Tuesday".....thanks for the parka handout!

Ginny - Agree with what Judy said.  Seems like retirement - or lack of it - can be a stressful time for people.  Some love it, but from what I have seen from DH, and some friends that have retired...."it ain't all it is cracked up to be"....especially is money is tight.  Is your DH still working?

Had a great dinner with DF last night.  We have been BFF's for about 50 years....nothing like a childhood friend.   We had quite a "ranting" session about retired DH's!

Hoping to get to sculpt class at lunch today.

Carol

camille2

It's low 20's here with some wind. I need to do 4 or 5 today or tomorrow and am at my mom's tonight. I'll prob do it this afternoon when it gets to 30.  I'm ready to send these temps north again. : )

Judy, good luck working on the waistline.  I thought mine would go away when I lost those few lbs, but my pudge is still there.

Ginny, hope you have a pleasant day today!  Maybe the cold temps will keep the kooks at home.

Carol, I think it really helps to ease into retirement when it's possible.  Now that I've gotten used to being  a nonproductive member of society, I stay pretty busy.  I still miss that satisfying feeling of accomplishment when a problem is solved though.  I can't say I miss the frustration that comes with not being able to fix things, which honestly, was much more common.

Laura, I'm glad the streak is still alive!

Have a great day!

ginnyb

Well the cold weather did keep the kooks at home last night, thank goodness.  Very nice working last night with hardly anyone from the public.  I never feel guilty for not working hard when it is like that, 'cause I worked my butt off during the day.

Yes, DH is still working also, he doesn't even talk about retirement yet.  I would love to go part time, but if I do that I may as well retire, benefits and pay would be the same.  I am going to hold out until the new director takes over in January, if they could tell me that I could retire, take the required time off and come back part time, I would like that.  I will be okay, just having a bad few weeks.

Did not venture out to the gym this morning, wind was 'ablowin, and below zero chill factor, so I did my WT with my DVD, I am such a wuss in this weather.

Lisa....I made an account with the Miles thingy.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Brr indeed!!  It even dipped below 30F here last night.  DS2 and I picked as many oranges as we could yesterday until dark.  Still more on the tree.  I think we will try to pick the rest and freeze the juice.  Hate to waste them.  Have bags of oranges ready for my friends. I hope my kumquats did not freeze -- they are not ripe enough to pick yet, but the tree is against the house, so hopefully it is a little more protected.

Did 5 miles on the treadmill this morning w half mile sprints.  Jeffrey ran next to me which helped.  I am less likely to blow off my workout if he is going to be there.  Ginny--you need some running buddies!!

Stay warm!!

Hmmm, we're having very unremarkable weather as usual, although there's a chance of rain tomorrow, which is exciting.  Unscheduled rest day this morning since my achilles and calves are still so sore from my Sunday run (a trail run, with something like 1500 stairs).  Maybe I'll get out for a few miles after work.  At the RnR Vegas HM on Sunday night, my DH did 2:04 and 14 y/o nephew did 1:57 for his first HM!  They were both pleased.

Judy, yikes on those cold temps.  Your track is indoors right?

LC, it's true, weare  getting closer to spring, although there's that little interlude called "winter" first...

Carol, agree that long-time BFFs are the best.

Camille, if you ever learn the secret to eliminating pudge from the waistline, you will be a gazillionaire.

Ginny, glad that today seems a little better for you.  Dealing with the public must be so draining and I'm sure you aren't compensated enough for what you do.

MTA Hi CrazySue!  Cros posted...

Hello to everyone else!  Time to work...

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon, ladies.  I had a deposition all morning but now I am out (finally).

Ran 5 and lifted weights last night.  I could have even gone to Pilates but fortunately she switched me to Friday.  Knee is fine; just burns from the road burn.  Ouch.

Tonight, it's a run with hubby.

Judy, that sounds cold!

LC Runs, nice TM run.

Carol, that is so nice.  I don't talk to my BFFs that often due to the distance and we are so busy!  We need to plan a trip.

Camille, nice job.

Ginny, dealing with the public sucks.

Sue, nice TM miles.

Gatsby, nice job to them!

I will not say my run was hot and humid last night out of deference to y'all.  I guess I just did.  Oops.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

I take it Karen is hunkered down muttering "four more months...four more months..."?

Judy, thanks for the parka, not needed, hope someone else can use it.

Ginny, I would imagine the occasional "nobody is coming here" evening is a welcome respite. And I'm sure it was earned by having to deal with all those crazy hot days when everyone comes in to sit in the air conditioned library.

Retirement -- Carol, I take it is "twice as much husband, half as much money"? Glad you had a good visit with your friend.

Laura, enjoy the music boosters. You have quite a few more years to go of that, don't you? (I kind of miss the choir bake sales...but not enough to be involved now that my kids are out of HS.)

Camille, that's mighty chilly for Georgia, isn't it?

Abdominal fat never seems to disappear no matter how much weight I lose. And losing weight is definitely from the perimeter inwards. I notice it in my watchband long before I notice it in my waistband. (I would rather have a slim waist than slim wrists!)

Susan, good luck with picking all the citrus. If I was closer I would come and help, I've had quite a bit of practice at orange picking this year! Can you donate the oranges to the food pantry if you can't use them all?

Gatsby, congratulations to DH and nephew! Did RNR eliminate the full marathon completely at Vegas? And yes please rain.

Damaris, road burn -- you fell? Ouch!

4 this morning with RN. Me with sore ribs, she with sore legs. Our funny shuffle morning. She will be very glad when her DH is out of the boot and can drive again. And I will be glad when my ribs don't hurt every time I breathe or lie down.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1. Pilates later

not that cold compared to you northern folks. It is 50 here. Was 80 yesterday so big change. Back later

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

I take it Karen is hunkered down muttering "four more months...four more months..."?

Pretty much this every day, then thinking about how much progress they've made on the house, and thinking "maybe I can move in February instead of March". This cold weather is awful. This morning there was a delay on Metro and I had to wait 1/2 hour for my train to move. The train was heated, but the doors were open and I had on a skirt since I had a meeting that I had to dress up for. Winter coat, scarf, gloves, still miserable.

Anyway, today will be a rest day for me. DH had surgery this afternoon. I am waiting now for him to get home. And I figure it would just be cruel for him to get home from his surgery, which will require him to be off the bike the next 4-6 weeks, and see me working out. So I'm just waiting impatiently for him to get home so I can see that he's okay. And if he's a little loopy from the drugs, well, that would be entertaining too.

Hmm, I think I'll be pretty good at retirement. I got used to my four months of unemployment last year pretty quickly. And after all the additional work that just got thrown my way during today's meeting, I'd kind of like to start that retirement right now.

Gatsby, congrats to DH and nephew.

Try to stay cool, Damaris, and try to stay warm, everybody else!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Will write more later.. but here's the story of my life since yesterday evening.

11/17 8:10 pm: Could use prayers for Simon's mom and Simon. Just got a call that his mom had a catastrophic heart attack. She's 98 - distance really sucks!

11/17 9:40 pm: I suggested he call back to try to tell her that he loves her. Amazingly, she was actually able to talk to him. All with a blood pressure of 60/30. The nursing staff said wait and see... so we're waiting.

11/18 7 am: Simon called and spoke with the floor nurse. Nesta is chatting. They had her up to use the bathroom.

Spoke with my sister (who is a geriatric nurse). She thinks it was actually a TIA which has the same symptoms as a heart attack. For now we're just waiting to see what happens.

11/18 5:34 pm Simon called and spoke with the nurse. The nurse said she is fine and her blood pressure was normal last night (didn't know numbers). She is walking about. She said they thought it was a vasovagal reaction possibly caused by dehydration (It has been really hot) She said no signs of a TIA or heart attack. They are keeping a close eye on her (the nurse was going off to check her vitals) and making sure she stays well hydrated. Simply amazing!

Nothing like a roller coaster ride.  Your thoughts and prayers of strength, healing, and comfort are very much appreciated.

And BTW wind chill is 4 degrees here.  Off to walk the mall with DH while DS takes his Calculus exam.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Long day. I hate cold weather. Very glad I'm not in buffalo NY. 70 inches of snow predicted. Yes 70!  No thanks.

Susan hope Simons mom is okay

Laura hope the meeting was good

Carol you are correct. My dad hated when he retired. He was so bored. Still is. I'd want a good hobby to keep me busy. I'm not one that could just do the full retirement thing. I like my work.

Katen looks like TX was pretty cool too. Not as cold as there but ....

Camille 20?  Yikes. We will be really cold tonight. Did I say I hate cold weather?

sue amazes me when you get so much colder than we do. We will have a hard freeze tonight, though

Gatsby congrats to dh and nephew

Tessa guess it is part of being a girl that we have harder time losing in the middle. Silly Mother Nature doesn't get we aren't having kids/more kids so nothing needs protected there now. Sigh.

Marjorie

Judy-I'll take one of those parkas.

Laura-have fun boosting music... can't help but think of a boom box.

Carol-let me know if you're ever open to a long run at Poto again.  I may go this upcoming Saturday since my run buddy is following some plan that has her on 10 miles only on Saturday then 6 hours on Sunday.  We both are going to the same party on Saturday night and I want to have fun at it.

Camille-if you're sending temps north please have them be warm ones, okay?

Ginny-welcome to the team!

Sue-a tm buddy does help.

Gatsby-um, yes, sub 2 hours should please anyone for their first half.  darn kids and their fast twitch muscle tissue.

Damaris-I don't mind hearing about heat somewhere.  Glad to know it exists.  I've asked both daughters if they have room for me.

Tessa-darn ribs!  wish they would heal faster for you.

Marjorie-I have done the eccentric quad exercises.  When lowering down do I use same leg to raise back up or step down with other foot and up with it?  So that I'm only lowering with the affected leg?  I must say that when doing this I sometimes do feel that front tendon and it hurts.  If I at all lean weight forward it hurts.  Positioning weight well doesn't hurt though.

Karen-hope dh is doing well but still entertaining.  DD in Houston did say it was cool-in the 50's but was going to be upper 70's by end of week.  Miami...mid-80's.

Susan-prayers and hugs to all of you.  roller coaster is right.

Skipped outdoor run in feel temps were sub 0.  First treadmill of the season.  Ugh.  So boring.  On way to work had to stop and buy 100 potatoes for the Potato Bar my team is hosting as a weekly fundraiser.  Spent over an hour with my intern scrubbing potatoes.  Marketed it as "Wednesday Happy Hour" ... come and get loaded at the bar.. potato bar.

Lisa