Womens Running

Trusting Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 20 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Trusting are the little crocuses around here. Along with the snowdrops, they are being brave.

Post. Smile

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Yesterday Fast Buddy appeared with three friends all of whom ran with me on the gym track. It was quite a thundering herd. Wink  I did a total of an hour. When I got home I did a cardio DVD for 50 minutes. Weights on the ball for a few minutes each weekday before I go to work. Little sticks are getting a little stronger. A little. Big grin

Track run today after a stop to pick up milk at the grocery.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

G'mornin' Ladies!

So.... no one's going to 'fess up about the "bad weather" quote, huh?   LOL

Was hoping to run 4 yesterday, but ended up with 2 due to the ice pellets (sleet).  I would have stayed and run more after my running group broke up, but the ice hurt.... and I'm a pain weenie.   But, I did go to the gym and get a core workout in yesterday afternoon.

Just as an aside - I find it interesting that New Yorkers have a hard time with the words hail and sleet.  As a southerner who has seen my share of severe weather, I am quite clear that hail comes before either a wicked thunderstorm or a tornado, and that sleet is a cold weather phenomenon.  Southerners, at least folks from GA, don't use the two words interchangeably.  My group was running in sleet, but several people called it hail.  Hail often means - know where the dog and the flashlight are for a snatch and run to the basement if you hear a train coming.... lol.

BTW - it looks like there may be 7 or 8 people, ages 18 to 58, in my Couch to 5K group!  woooo hoo!

Judy - haha!  Cool that the "sticks" are getting stronger... you go girl!

Marjorie - Chickens are a bit of a fad around our area.  They're a fairly cheap source of good protein and so a lot of people are raising them for the eggs with the economy the way it is.  I buy fresh eggs from a guy at church, and I have never had better, richer eggs in my life!

Karen - will do on PM about D.C.   Thanks!  I would love to meet you, but I think this conference is packed wall to wall.  I'm probably just going to have select a concurrent session to miss so that I can get a run in during the good weather.   How are the Cherry Blossoms??

Tessa - Thanks for the tip on the mass transit. I ALWAYS forget about that, having never been raised or acclimated to subways and busses.  Karen may know exactly which train to take where.

Sue - Cool about the bike ride and the triathlon store.  I have never heard of a store specifically for triathlons!  I've gotta get out more.

Linda - Cool chart.  And wow... the hills.  I am with you on the training strategy.  Sometimes I feel like I just don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing besides adding miles and intensity slowly over time.   It's one of the reasons I'm going to a sports physiologist for an eval.  He can help me with a training plan for where I'm at on a cardiovascular level.

Lisa - LOVE the pics.  You rock those trails, girl!  I am going to HAVE to try trail running this summer.

LC - I'll share my wind with you any time!  It always seems there's plenty to go around up here... EXCEPT on hot, sticky days when you couldn't BUY a breeze.

Today I drive to D.C. with a very good friend who happens to be a co-worker.  He's a bit of a runner too.   So, I'm really hoping that I can convince him to ditch a session or two to run with me around the mall.

Be well,

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

LC Runs

Good Morning!

3.5 on my TM, plus some upper body weights/abs.  May try for 2-3 after work.  We are supposed to see 50 degrees later this week, yeah!

Judy - snowdrops here, as well.  Wow, that's a fantastic workout from yesterday!

Julie - hope you are able to get some running in DC.  That's funny about the hail vs sleet (I know the difference ha ha)!  Great turnout for your running group Smile

camille2

Good morning!! I'm enjoying relaxing with my coffee again. DD and fiancé came Fri and we had a great weekend, but it was pretty hectic for me. We did Gibbs' Gardens (million+ daffodils), met late hubby's family for dinner and had Easer lunch with my family, plus tons of cooking to take.  I am going to ignore the scale for a few days.  : )  Smile

Karen, I laughed at your comment about the difference in a biker's get together and typical American family.  Let's just say my family's get together is more along the stout potato theme than the salad theme, though we have Party Potatoes, rather than stout.  Smile

Judy, we saw a few violets yesterday. Flowers a re just starting here.

Demaris, glad Trixie is better.

Loved meeting Lisa and her s-I-l Karen yesterday!  Spring came to town for Lisa-perfect weather for hiking, sunny and 60's!  Sloppy Floyd park was new for me and it's tiny, but quite pretty. A very nice hike, kind of wish I had invited Ann.  I  registered for the Twisted Ankle half, so I'll find out what it's like to go up.  From the profile, I'd thought it might be a nose to butt type climb, but I agree with Lisa and don't think hands would be involved, though it'll still be plenty tough. I won't be running it.

Lisa, Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga R, but it is on other side of state between S. Carolina and Ga.   BTW, I think Mystery Mountain is a prettier course, esp since it's in the fall with turning leaves, but either would be a good choice. After looking closer at the profile you posted, I think a number of my neighborhood hills (not all) are similar to Bekki's Bluff.  I hope you have a great day on the AL Pinhoti and a safe trip back.  Question...did we really do < 3 miles?  I would have guessed 4 at least.  : )

Marjorie, I laughed about the chickens. What were they thinking?  I remember staying at a B&B right in the city in Anchorage last summer and their chickens did this noisy, flocking  thing right up against the window at 4 or 5 in the morning!  Did I mention how impressed I am with your quarterly miles! Wow!

Sue, happy birthday! Glad you had a nice day!

Julie, congrats on the race!  You're going to get even speedier as you do more miles!  Bummer on ice pellets!  It was Lisa who said, "There's no bad weather, only bad clothing." I believe it's an ultra racing quote.   I protested when she said it because I've experienced some bad weather. Snow and wind on the 4th of July is bad weather, even with plenty of clothes! : )  We were camping on a lake  in the AK range...weather was a major bummer!  Ice pellets during running  also qualifies!

Linda, first overall!!! That is so great!  Speedy woman!

Laura, it sounded like a nice birthday party. I'm with Carol and miss those days.

Gatsby, how's the coaching going?

Carol, what are "clown feet" runs?

Ginny, I think it's so neat you get to have all your family together for holidays.

Cindy, thanks for the feedback on the Chapel Hill 10 miler.  When a N. Carolina runner says a hill is pretty bad, I believe it.

Tessa, you must really have been ready to go back to work so you could rest after the weekend! Wow...busy.

I prob missed someone, but coffee break is over.  Have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I posted late last night because I got home then, bah!  I did a short run and weights so there is that.  11 miles for me today.  Trixie came downstairs and ate her bowl of wet food, yay.  First time since she was hospitalized.

judyruns, nice hour workout.  And a cardio DVD!  Awesome.

Julie, ouch at the ice pellets.  Sorry about your lack of 4.  Great job, anyway!  How's the dog?

LC Runs, Nice TM run.  Enjoy your run later.

camille, sounds like a great weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good Morning!  Made it out for 6 miles.  I have been slacking lately and don't want to get up to run--but I was out there this morning,  The citrus trees are blooming and you can smell them in different parts of the neighborhood.

Put up kumquats last night.  Ended up with 6 cups finely chopped in the freezer for baking and a batch of marmalade.  Will make one more batch of marmalade tonight and I am DONE with them for the year.  I just need to pick another handfull or two and I have enough chopped for tonight.  I need to bake more.  Still have 3 bags (one cup each) in the freezer from last year.

Julie---Rats!  There is Run N Tri in Gulfport!  You can go next time you are here.  Nice little triathlon/running store.  I agree, hail is a warm weather thing.  When I was a little girl at my grandparent's farm in central Texas we had hail so large that Grandma got me a glass and I put it in the glass for ice water!  No rain, I remember it was a clear day.  Big chunks of ice (fist sized).  Weird things you remember.

Have a fun Tuesday everyone!!!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

12.3 for me today.  Another good run.

Lisa nice pictures and great FE.

Judy must be spring if Fast buddy is back

Laura Nice run!

Camille glad you and Lisa had fun

Sue are the allergies better?

Julie safe travels to DC

Marjorie

ginnyb

Did my upper body WT this morning.  Boy was it cold this morning!  The sun is shining, but really cold still.  Happy for the sunshine.

Lisa...nice pictures, looks like you had a great time.

Linda..you can't get away from hills and I don't have any.

Julie...have a good trip to DC.  I do know the difference between hail and sleet,  and I don't like either one.

Laura...I wish I could run after work, but my body just doesn't cooperate.  I have never been able to run successfully in the evenings.

Camille...good idea to ignore the scale for a few days.

Tomorrow morning getting my hair cut and going to the dentist to have him put in my new bridge.  It better not stir anything up, I am just getting back to normal.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

ginnyb

Hi Marjorie...cross posted.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Arimathea

Tessa

Julie, I didn't grow up with buses either, but I have grown used to taking public transit wherever I can. For DC:

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

The Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Orange lines all go under or by the Mall, you shouldn't have any problem getting there. Last fall CPCU was at the Marriott in Woodley Park and I had no trouble getting to the conference from where I was staying up in Rockville (half the price and free breakfast and Wi-Fi).

Hail? I thought hail was where an irritated Southerner might tell someone to go to. *grin* Seriously, I've always thought of hail as little ice balls falling from the sky, can do nasty damage to people, crops, cars, and siding, while sleet is rain that's not quite cold and fluffy enough for snow but is definitely right on the border of freezing. We don't have tornadoes very often around here and thunderstorms aren't that common either, but we do get hail. Trouble is we have an aluminium patio cover. Noisy!

Camille, those parks sound pretty. Go for TA! Old turtle over on runango is the RD, BTW.

Damaris, glad to hear Trixie ate her food like a good girl.

Susan, citrus blossom smells lovely, you're right. What do you bake using kumquats? Mmm, marmalade.

Marjorie, Laura, Judy, Ginny, good runs!

Question for those doing Hatfield-McCoy. Is anyone going by the Charleston (WV) airport Saturday afternoon? We have someone who's going to need to fly out of there on Saturday afternoon to get to a conference the next day. Let me know and if you wouldn't mind sharing your email I'd like to put you in touch with her for private messaging.

Happy runs!

Tessa

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

No run for me this morning, but I did get out for 6.3 yesterday morning. On Saturday, the whole family did a 5K - DS2 and I ran it together, DS1 ran it on his own, and DH and DS3 walked/jogged it. It turned out to be a bit short - the police officer leading the race missed a turn and cut 2/10 off the course. Fortunately, this is the type of race where most people won't really care - it's a fundraiser organized by a family that lost a child to neuroblastoma, so people really come out to support the cause. It's a great one to do as a family - tons of kids and lots of people walking it. DS2 did great - it was his first 5K, and he ran an 8:46 pace. I was really proud of him!

Julie - I think I might also be guilty of repeating the "bad weather" quote. Roll eyes Have a great trip.

Karen - I did meet Richard on Saturday! He spotted DH before the race, and was surprised when DH said "I heard you were going to be here." It really is a small world! BTW, he said to tell you hello.

Linda - nice job on the race! And great pic of you and your DH.

Tessa - I got a lot of churchin' in during Holy Week, but I think you've got me beat. Maybe your sis could come get my boys in line! I'll be driving up for H-M, so not headed toward the airport.

Laura - our week is actually supposed to get colder as we go. Which is a bummer, since we are planning a zoo trip on Thursday.

Camille - sounds like you had a nice holiday, and cool that you got to have an FE with Lisa! Let me know what your plans are for the Tar Heel 10-Miler - I'd love to at least try to meet and say hello on Friday. I'm probably going to have to beat feet out of there on Saturday - my friend I'm travelling with and I both have kids' sporting events to get back to.

Damaris - glad that Trixie is feeling better.

Crazysue - I don't think I would even know what a kumquat looks like! What do you bake with them?

Marjorie - my MIL has chickens, but she lives on a farm. I love the eggs but am not a big fan of the roosters at 5 in the morning.

Ginny - I used to run after work all the time, but I'm like you now - if I wait too late in the day, my runs never go well.

Off to get some work done. I had to take DS2 in for a hearing test and doctor's appointment, so that really ate up my morning. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Linda

Hi ladies:

I am going for a 50 mile week, and I am already tired.  This morning’s run was hard.  I will try to get  a short recovery run in this evening. I have no idea how I'm going to do intervals tomorrow.

Julie:  I hope you got your mall run in.

LC:  I’m glad your weather is warming up.  The wind is getting ridiculous, here.

Hi Camille, Judy & Tessa

Damaris:  Yea Trixie!

Sue:  slacker?  I don’t think so.  Everyone needs a little down time.

Marjorie:  You’ve been on a roll.  Nice running

Ginny:  I’m going to the dentist today.  I hope there is nothing to report.

Cindy:  I wish that I had gotten more church in during holy week.  That is great.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Camille-I came up with 4.1 and then 1 mile for our hike so 5 all together.  That included everything to the parking lots.  Since we weren't running it all counts as hiking in my opinion.

Went out today on the Pinhoti here in Alabama that's about 10 minutes from the house.  Pretty similar incline going up as the "moderate" side. meaning not runnable for me because of the length more so than the grade.  Climbed over a few trees as trail winds up, over, down and around the "hills".

About 1.3 miles in came to a tree that even I couldn't get around because of the steepness of the hill.  No clue where the trail disappeared to under that tree. Do you see a trail? Hard to comprehend the slope but there really was no going around it.

Many were passable though.  Big trees! Came back and went the opposite direction from where I had initially connected to the trail.

Hit paydirt for me!  Beautiful pine forests with pine covered trails that ran up, down, and along the side of a dry gully.  Awesome.

Eventually rising again but nice and slowly with some downs to break it up.  Then hearing the sound of water and splashing bird in water far below.  Pics don't do it justice as sun was coming out and sparkling off of the water way below. Also hard to get a sense of how far up it was. Looks closer.

Also small flowers starting to bloom. Forget-me-nots (good symbolism there!) and small red ones along with violets.

I actually had turned around once and went back to the road because I did sort of spook myself.  I had NO cell signal and had told DH that I was going the other way only.  Started thinking about if something did happen they wouldn't even know where to look. Started imagining that banjo music, etc.  When I had gotten to the road I saw an older gent unpacking a big bag with a chainsaw.  Talked to him for a bit and he assured me that I was safe on that trail "all the crazy people stay in the town, they're too lazy to come out on the trail".  Seems odd but knowing I was being followed by a bearded man with a chainsaw made me feel better.  He also told me about a woman who was hiking all the way across the country "Princess Dorr" was what he said her trail name was.  Also about "Blister Bob" and his wife who would be meeting up with the woman to help her through this part of the forest.  Neat.

This ended up being my turnaround point going South.  Doesn't look like "much" but no way to go around "easily".  The dirt both below and above roots was sooo unstable looking that I didn't chance it.

Other end of the tree that stopped me.

On the way back I met the volunteer clearing a fallen tree. I'm so bad with remembering names though.  he told me that he's hiked the entire Applachian and the Pacific trails. We talked for a bit about Michigan trails.  So nice.

All in all about 7 miles in around 2 hours but lots of stops for talking, picture taking and tree climbing.  Will store this one in the memory banks for when I'm running a boring trail back home and I want to imagine I'm on the edge of a deep gulley or looking out at a real mountain (no comments from the Rockies people, please).

Lisa

Tessa---Yes, we're all going to "Ha-il".  Two syllables.  Wink

Wow Linda!  50 mile week!  I need to increase my mileage.  Barely getting 20 miles a week in, I know it is not enough to reach my running goals.

Lisa--great pics!

I use chopped kumquats in quick breads (like banana bread type recipes) or muffins.  Yummy!

Found my grandfather's baptismal certificate and took it to the framer's today.  It is a beautiful piece with lovely pictures, written in German.  He lived in central Texas in a small German community.  They learned to speak English when they went to school.  He was born 100 years ago.  I will ask one of the my quilting friends (who is German) to translate it for me.