Womens Running

Last day Thursday - Supermoms (Read 360 times)

nolamama

CQTM

They still have poles in Denver firehouses ladies, never fear! I've seen them myself.....

BermyHorse

nola - want to elaborate on that story?

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- DH is on a rotating schedule, and he is really lucky this year and his 7 days off started on Wednesday and he doesn't have to go back to work until the 26th! I'm off tomorrow until the 26th too so we can spend some QT together.  He did have to work Thanksgiving, Labor day, and Independence Day/Reid's birthday this year though.  DH is down about 85-90 lbs from his heaviest, but is depressed that no matter how hard he tries, he can't stay below 220/215. He does have bad habits, and his work schedule makes it hard to do anything routine.  I have lived in this county my whole life other than moving to a place with worse winters for 2 years in college. My dad lived in Iowa for a few years so I got my learner's permit when I was 14 and learned to drive in Iowa winter snow when I went to visit him. Everything is rural here so you have to drive 20+ miles to go to the doctor or get to a store other than walmart. Reid's daycare is out in the country about 6 miles each way from my house and I have an All wheel drive vehicle, so I've been pretty lucky and have never gone in the ditch. Mostly winter driving is common sense. Slow down, reduce your gears, and don't tailgate people. Obviously, accidents happen but its usually when people are in a hurry. I live on a hill above town and the quickest route to my house is also the steepest, so sometimes I have to go out of my way to make it home in the winter. Great job on 20 stroller miles! That's awesome!

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

nolamama

CQTM

Well...

mr brother is a Denver FF...and Ive been to a couple of his firehouses before. Ha! Not as exciting as it initially sounded, huh?

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy/NOLA- its usually older fire houses that have them. Our FD is all volunteer so there are only 2 guys that live there and they can just run their butts down the hall LOL. If you want a real mental image of a volunteer firefighter- picture a husky guy in pajama pants and socks (possibly no shirt) leaping out of bed and driving madly to the fire house LOL. Not as sexy as the fire pole, for sure.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

Erniegirl

Ended up doing some last minute work, so my 10k didn't happen this morning. We've got a nasty snow/rain mix rolling in, so I think I'll ST this afternoon and push my run to another day. Christmas party was fun. S gobbled up a bunch of carbs and passed out in my arms. She hasn't done that since the summer! 

Ummm....I was going to say something else but now I am distracted by all this talk of firemen sliding down poles. 

arm/nola - Hi! I haven't met either of you yet. I have a 10-month-old daughter and am a SAHM and freelance legal writer.

mzm - Yay on the snow day for everyone! My DD went down to one nap two months ago, which seemed terribly early to me, but now I like it because I don't have to work around her nap schedule as much. 

Cx2 - I can't believe your daycare spot is gone! I would be enraged! Hope you find an even better place. Enjoy that massage!!

Spike - Yikes! Those bad roads sound scary. I would have totally have just changed the baby after the coffee spill, too! Coffee smells good and who has time for a second bath? As for your QOTD, we usually eat the typical turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries and veggies on Christmas. My family is Ukrainian, so we then have another feast for Orthodox Christmas two weeks later where we have perogies, cabbage rolls, borscht, etc. 

Shelby - Sorry to hear that you're sick while trying to settle in after your move. The 100 mile trail sounds awesome!

Bermy - My goodness, you are hardcore! Running those repeats and hills with a stroller. I am going to take some inspiration from you and do more stroller running. For how long will DS stay happy in the stroller? Any good tips for keeping babies entertained in there? 

5k - 20:46          10k - 41:27         10 mile - 1:15:32          Half marathon - 1:39:15      

superspike113

Honorary Old

Ernie- OMG I love Russian/Ukrainian food. That sounds delish. There is a Russian lady next door to me at work and her Pieroshky is amazing. I haven't made borscht in a while, that sounds good right now.

CTimesTwo

hi nola!

nope, C is like A... she sits and lunges forward but no crawling yet.  She's stationary LOL... we try to pull her into standing and sitting positions and she really enjoys standing more than sitting now.  So I dunno, maybe she'll walk before she crawls...we gave up on the bottles and use soft spout sippy cups ... still only just filled with water though.  In the new year we'll try putting some formula and eventually milk in them.  I'm still BFing but much much less.  She doesn't want to nurse as often as she used to.  Congrats on passing your exams!

runnergirl9508

back for some personals....

RR2: ran 10.2miles today, nice easy pace. legs were a bit fatigued from circuit class on tuesday. taught circuit and focused on upper body and abs today.

mer- aw, i love snow days! have fun and enjoy! i can't wait for snow here, i'm sure R will love it!

Bermy- i was so impressed with your menu on FB- i want to come for christmas dinner!!! hope the coaching session goes well today for you. good luck with the 15 month check-up. R ran around the office laughing and playing with the measurement tape that the nurse gave him.

cmg- yay for progress!!! hoping that little man stays put for one more week for you. we're skipping santa this year too. haha, yes Violet is the purple version of scout, and i agree it does sound creepy when they say their name. have fun playing in the snow- the wind sucks!

jen- glad you're feeling better! waking up hungry is a sign that you're definitely on the mend. hope you can get a good run in today. ugh on the early morning poop wake-ups. R has days like that, and of course he won't go back to sleep...coffee for mama!

arm- hey lady! we've missed you! wow 2 minute PR?! that's awesome. you're going ot kill your half. have fun at the party tonight, what is a dirty santa gift?? R still has only 4 teeth, haha i swear he's going to cut all of them just before kindergarten.

Ernie- yep, my DH works 2-10pm as well, and rotates every third Saturday. so cute about S and her bf's! have fun at hte party today, sounds like it will be a great time.

CA- have a great run today! yay for the extra hands with the kids. i love when my mom comes to visit, she's so helpful with R. i remember my hammies and glutes being sore too when i was about 3-4minths pp.

becky- great job keeping the streak going!!! easy, short runs and you'll make it. i haven't seen the Lorax yet, but i'm excited for when R gets a little older and i have an excuse to watch kds movies again!

mrszm- sorry about C napping so badly for you. R dropped his second nap just after his first bday, and i wasn't ready for that! enjoy your snow day at home!

5K: 19:15       Half: 1:29:35       Marathon: 3:13:08

nolamama

CQTM

cx2 - that really is too funny about C and how they've never met but still love to be on the same time table for development. A loves sitting but does not like standing (yet). Maybe it's because we force her to do it, haha. She is definitely on her own time line for things. I'm glad C will take the sippy, though! Hopefully you are able to get away for longer periods of time, now.

runnergirl9508

page 2-

Cx2: ugh, sorry about the daycare troubles, it's really hard to find a good place. i hope you can find somewhere soon. good job iwth the stroller run. as for tipping- is the front wheel locked? i almost tipped once, and realized it was b/c the front wheel wasn't locked.

spike- boo on the road, that sounds awful! i hope things clear up soon. yikes on the coffee! R tries to grab and drink out of my cup, which is annoying first thing in the morning. haha. congrats to your friend on her baby!

shelby- yay, welcome back! ugh, so sorry that you've been so sick. i hope you're able to kick it soon. glad that H liked his new daycare, that will make things easier, right? good luck with all of hte unpacking and settling in.

nola- welcome back! wow, great menu for christmas, are you making it all yourself? aww, can't believe your LO is almost 9 months- she sounds like such a sweetie. yeah, my DH actually enjoys wrapping presents.

bermy- good job toughing out your run today, sounds rough! aw, R always cries at hte crinkly paper too! he HATES it. Sad

runswithrocky

Selfish rant so I don't explode on my MIL:

I've had just about enough "help" from MIL.  Yesterday she slept until 9 AM (I had been up since 530AM with Emily) even though she made grand promises that she wanted to help out in the mornings.  Then she watched soap operas while I made dinner and Emily napped.  Then Emily woke up and MIL begged off for her own nap.  and MIL didn't wake up until after DH got home from work - so something like a 3-4 hr nap.

Today she went to wipe emily's nose, but didn't hold Emily's head.  MIL just kept pushing the kleenex at Em until Em fell over and hit her head on the ground (enough that I heard it in the other room).  Tears ensued and all MIL said was "Emily, you make this hard."

Then I was playing with Em upstairs before her nap, and I go into the hallway to find MIL has ripped the top-of-stairs-gate off the hinges because she said, "I didn't know how to work it."  We have shown her numerous times.  It takes one finger to lift the latch!  It's not even a pressure gate.  I said, why would you think that the part screwed into the wall was how you were supposed to open it?!  She just replied with, "well, i don't know!" ugh, yes, you DO know. 

And every time Em makes a sound she offers her something to eat or a bottle instead of trying to engage her, talk to her, read to her.

Great.  Now Em is up again, I have a report to do and MIL JUST got in the shower - the same shower she told me she was going to take 2 hours ago, but she wanted to watch her soaps first.  I love working from home, taking care of Emily, all of it, even if its' hectic.  I just hate cleaning up after MIL all the time.  Leaving knitting needles out, her pill box on the couch, etc.  It's not rocket science people.  And even if we didn't have Emily, we have dogs.  I simply don't understand.  Maybe she needs the attention? 

I have had enough help! 

I can and will make it to January 4th without being rude, that is my mantra. 

nolamama

CQTM

Rocky - do you think your MIL might need a little "rudeness" to get her head out of her ass?  You are pregnant, you know, so you can totally get away with it.  Big grin

runnergirl9508

OMG Megan! I don't know how you don't explode at your MIL!!! Seriously, i want to come punch her. Honestly, that stinks and I give you huge props. Poor Em falling over. I feel badly that you hvae to clean up after her. Doesn't she realize she's creating more work for you, and NOT being a help at all?

Is there anyway you can leave a schedule for her, ie "this is when Em naps, eats, likes to play, etc?" Maybe that would help her become aware of the time.

Oh and WTF on her 3-4hr nap?!

BermyHorse

rocky - if I were you (and not pg) I would suddenly take up ultra marathon training just to get out of the house all day every day with Em for the whole time. I would go crazy. 

ernie - stroller tips - maybe ask the group as a qotd tomorrow but for me, I only use the stroller for running and nothing else - I carry DS every other time in a carrier or he walks. He knows stroller time is relaxing time for him - he packs it up with his favourite toys (clip on) and books. make sure your LO is well fed or feed her on the route - DS likes munching a whole apple on the way! and water. I also have a plethora of toys underneath (I am sure that contributes to weight I push for 10 miles right?) and rotate when there's chirping. Also on LRs and easy week runs i talk a lot to DS and describe everything - dogs, trees, plants, trails, rocks, people etc.

nola/spike - you totally killed the fireman image I had going.

FR: just made two large batches of veggie burgers (brown rice and black bean) because, well, DS was napping and I felt like it.

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31