Womens Running

(Over 40) Octobery Weekend (Read 20 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Well, not for us as it will be 90.

10.1 for me. Dad and wife just left. They decided they wanted to go on to Florida. It wasn't a terrible visit. Just okay.

Hope pe everyone is having a great weekend.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Morning, ladies!  Another day, and another day with a migraine.  I am not sure if it's my period which already ended on Friday or whether it's the stress of the furlough or the pillow, or what.  12 miles with 4 @ MP tonight.

Marjorie, nice job on the run.  Hope the visit went well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Howdy!  Crappy run this morning.  Bailed after 2 miles.  I just feel wiped out this morning.  Went to a ridicuously over priced estate sale and picked up a new coffee pot.  Mine died this morning.  Sad  I think I need more coffee!!

Damaris--sorry about the migrane.  Hope you feel better soon.

Just need to clean the floors this morning and bake cupcakes and cookies today.

Woke up in the middle of the night with the idea of how to fix some quilt squares I sewed incorrectly.  Weird, but correct.  Will work on those later.

Have a great day!

camille2

I just finished 45 drippy minutes. High is predicted to be 85-87. : ) I stayed with my mom's the end of the week and just got in one short run there.

Marjorie, I'm glad the visit wasn't bad. My late hubby's father remarried and the visits were awkward. They only came 3 times but stayed 10 days to 2 weeks each time since it cost so much to get to AK. Too long. : )

BTW, I'm going to be in Charleston next weekend. I have an appt. at the Allergy and Urticaria Center early Mon.  The USA's urticaria guru was at USC. Unfortunately, he retired just  last year so I'll see one of his former partners early Monday. I'd love to meet you, but DD is coming down for the weekend and I haven't seen her since the wedding in May.  Since it'll be a short visit, do you have any suggestions for the top  one or two things we should do? I'm a born tourist.

Demaris, I'm sorry about your migraine and hope you feel better soon!  Have a good run!

Tessa, I'm glad you used the morphine. You both need the rest. I hope it's a somewhat quiet weekend.

Laura, woo-hoo on finishing the job!!  I'm glad they at least showed you some appreciation at the end!

Sue, great job on Augusta!  Woo-hoo!

Carol, is it taper time?  You should do great on your race!

Hi to everyone else!  Off to lunch with late hubby's family, then dinner with local friends tonight.

Hello weekend ladies!  We're having a rare hot spell in HMB -- temps hit 80 yesterday and expecting more of the same today.  I was going to volunteer at the local high school's cross country meet today but woke up with a bad tummy.   I figured it wouldn't be wise to be out there under the circumstances, possibly far from a bathroom, so I cancelled and am just being lazy this morning.  I have a long run tomorrow so maybe I'll do an easy run a little later today.  Yard work and house work are also on tap today.

Marjorie, an okay visit from your dad and wife is much better than a terrible one, so nice job.

Damaris, sorry about the migraines and stress.  Does running help?

CrazySue, how funny that you work up in the middle of the night with quilting inspiration.

Camille, are you down visiting in the lower 48 or have you moved from AK?  Sorry if I missed that earlier.

Hi to everyone else.  Back later.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Camille if you are staying downtown go through the market it has tons of unique Charleston stuff. From there you can take a carriage ride. it is worth it to here all the history and see some great things. They point out stuff you'd otherwise miss and well worth the cost. Going down through Rainbow Row and the battery is an absolute must.

If you like museums, the Charleston museum is the oldest  museum in the US.

There is so much you can do.  Ghost tours, Ft Sumter (if the govt isn't still shut down), plantations (such as Boone Hall or Magnolia), the aquarium etc. there is tons of good food.  Next Sunday is second Sunday so King Street will be closed to traffic which is great because it becomes an open street to walk down. Bunch of specialty shops etc there.

If you want to meet for coffee let me know.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Not Octobery here - 88 right now with a high of 91 forecast. I was up early to volunteer at an exchange station for Ragnar DC. My shift was from 7-1 and it was about 50 minutes from my house. I'm supposed to run 6 today, but it's going to have to wait a while. The a/c in my car isn't working (I'm planning on a new car in the spring, and figured I didn't need to spend the money to get it fixed at the end of summer, joke is on me!), so after getting all sweaty taking down the exchange at the end of my shift, I then had to drive home in my hot car. So no energy right now.

Marjorie, glad the visit went okay.

Damaris, my 7-day migraine I'm just finally getting over was totally related to my period. I'm on the pill where I only have a period every four months (specifically for the migraines). I don't always get a migraine, but I did this time and it was awful. I'm still not 100%. Hope you're feeling better.

Susan, haven't checked the weather, has Tropical Storm Me hit yet? Do you have any more races on the horizon after your HIM?

Gatsby, this is hot for you guys. Hope you're feeling better - good call to cancel this morning, I think.

Camille, have a fun trip and visit with DD! Looks like Marjorie has a lot of good ideas for you.

Well, if it's going to feel like summer, I think I'm going to go to the grocery store and get some steaks to cook on the grill for dinner.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Hi all!

Been a super busy week with 2 out of town job fairs and all of the Kaite school stuff plus PT.  Friday was about to march into head of HR's office and ask if I should be looking for a new job.. .just not feeling effective since I'm so overwhelmed. Good thing that the time I was supposed to meet with her came and went with her stuck in another meeting. A few down hours and I felt much more caught up. Have gotten better at pushing and plain old delegating things to the HR directors without any soft language involved, i.e. none of this "if you can" or "it would be really helpful" stuff. I know just copy them on messages to the hiring managers saying that they will be the ones reviewing resumes etc.  Helped that I had a couple of nice thank you's come my way too so I knew I hadn't quite lost it.

Wednesday they kept me off of the treadmill since my knee was pretty swollen from the job fair and being on feet so much. Friday I did get on for 20 minutes but back at only 50% body weight. Orders to ice each day, elevate and take anti-inflammatories. They've been working on hamstrings and told me that they can measure a really substantial strength improvement. Still waiting for that day when I forget that there was anything done to knee.

Tessa-hugs to you. I remember my mom getting very itchy at times. we used aveeno wash and that helped. So sorry that your DS has to go through this too. No way to remember your dad.

Laura-congrats on LDW! exit interviews do help over time to build a case if anyone takes the time to do so.

Damaris-hope your migraine leaves soon.

Karen-when does new job start?

Ginny-I've got my Tigers stuff out too!

Camille-hope that you do get to meet Marjorie... you two would get along great.

Marjorie-glad that stay was okay, beats bad.

Sue-coffee does help!

Gatsby-good call on your part I think.

Lisa

Still waiting on Tropical Storm Karen.  Just had a quick shower, but that was all.  Beautiful day today.

Got alot of cleaning done.  Doofus old BF came by to return a boat part he had borrowed from DS2 and I conned him into installing a new light fixture in the bathroom and hanging a mirror.  Smile  He wanted to borrow my mower.  I got the much better end of the deal.  Baked chocolate chip cookies in a sheet pan and used an Ironman symbol cookie cutter -- cute!  Having a party tomorrow for one of the group who ran Iron Man Texas 140.6.

House is really clean (for me).  Enjoying the view.  Now to bake some cup cakes.

Have a nice evening.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, ladies.  Ended up taking a URD.  Apparently, my body thinks taper means hardly do any runs before Chicago.  My migraine is now going down but all day it's been a bother.  Hoping I can run my MP run tomorrow morning and do some extra miles with hubby during the night.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

http://www.mlive.com/artprize/index.ssf/2013/10/artprize_2013_winner_is_sleeping_bear_dune_lakeshore_quilt_by_ann_loveless.html

Quilters.. be sure to check out this quilt which won this year's Art Prize contest in Grand Rapids. $200k was the prize money. It's gorgeous and really is a work of art. Scroll through the pictures to see the detail involved in depicting a Michigan scene.

Lisa

Lisa, that quilt is amazing.  Would love to see that for real.  How funny (in a sad way) that they had to move the artwork outside before the museum closed due to the government shutdown.  Sorry you were feeling underwater at work but glad you found some strategies for delegating.

Karen, how kind of you to spend your Saturday morning at Ragnar.  Those temps would be too hot for me to run.

CrazySue, sounds like a productive day.  Hope the storm stays away.

Damaris, hopefully the migraine is gone on Sunday.

Good evening all!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - glad the visitors have come and gone...and it wasn't horrible!

Damarias - Booo on the migranes.  I had them in my 40's with periods...they were just awful...so I feel for ya.  I hope you are enjoying taper!

Camille - Yes tapering here....  Smile   Sounds like a fun visit for you and to see DD!

LisaMMR - Glad you were able to get some relief from being overwhelmed at work.  Sounds like the PT that you are going to is very helpful.

Gatsby - Sometimes you just have to take care of yourself and rest...hope your tummy feels better.

Karen - Wow, 7 days is a long migrane....(see my comment to Damarias)...menstral migranes are the worse!!!  Mine used to just stop me in my tracks, and then after you just feel like you had to flu.  How was Ragner?  I have thought it would be fun to do one.

Tessa - Hope your week-end is somewhat peaceful.....glad you are using medication for DH when you need to.  He certainly gets some rest too...so is a win/win situation.

Crazysue - How fun on the Ironman cookies!  sorry you had to bail after 2 miles, but you just did a HIM.....so think it is OK....  Smile

Did 12 yesterday - I did it "old school"....got to the area I was going to run, my Garmin was DEAD, and my IPOD had little life left.  I was going it alone, as group run wasn't going to work for me this week.  Soooo, I just went for it....so just paced myself by feel, and actually had a great run Smile

Hope everyone is enjoying the week-end!

ginnyb

Crappy run this morning.  I wanted to do 8, but bailed at 7.  Terribly humid here and rain off and on.  Supposed to be in the 80's again today, where was this weather in July, when I had to wear my wool socks and my winter robe???

Lisa...glad you work got a little less overwhelming for you.  Next year Cleveland may just give Detroit a run for their money!  Now I wish I had registered for the Detroit Half....don't have one this month and now I want to run one, even with the crap run this morning!

Karen.....so sorry about the migraine...glad you are feeling somewhat better.

Sue...I need to clean, but I can't get myself motivated to do so.

Damaris....sorry about you suffering with the migraines also, glad you are better.

Whole family coming over this afternoon.  We are all Denver Broncos fans, so DH is cooking his famous Buffalo wings and will watch the game.  My son in law is a Dallas Fan so he is going to be outnumbered today.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Last 20 minute cool down at gym on bike. Did 20 easy on bike to warm up the 30 hard on both elliptical and arc rider. Rolled at home before and will again after.

Ginny- nor sure how brave you are but I sure won't be wearing my full bib. I could pick up.

Lisa