Womens Running

Wacky Weather Weekend! (over 40) (Read 18 times)

ginnyb

Think our roof is going to blow off!  Very, very windy here and cold, rain mixing with snow!  Darn, like Lisa said, we can't say " At least it isn't November"  IT IS!  Where did that year go?

Thank you for the birthday wishes.  I have now entered the 65-69 age group!  Glad I made it, shooting for the over 70 now!

We always have tons of Trick or Treaters...went through 6, 150+ piece, bags of candy.  Didn't run out this year though, we usually do.  The weather started getting really nasty and the trick or treaters ran home I think.  All the kids and grandkids came over for chili, pizza, and trick or treat...fun times!

Still haven't run, but I know I will get back out there.  Joined Planet Fitness the other day also, so I have backup.  Planet Fitness just opened in our town, so it was a great deal.

Have a great weekend everyone.  DGD has her championship football game this afternoon.  Thankfully it is being played in a domed stadium!  I would have sat out in this weather for my GD, but thankful that I won't have to do that!

Ginny

Go Bulldogs!

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

I even have snow in NW GA-about 1/2 " and the snow was pouring and blowing when I woke up, but has slowed, thank goodness. I'm about 2200.? It IS Nov.   We still have a lot of leaves on the trees, so I'm hoping we don't get much more.  That  would not be good for out power.

Ginny, cute pic of GD.

Gatsby, I forgot to tell you that  I briefly met a nurse who volunteered at the 85 mile aide station at Western States.  Weren't you somewhere near the end?  We were both waiting for our daughters to finish...her DD's first half.

I only got a mile in yesterday since I had to wait for TDS much of day.  I'd planned to go to a Halloween party, but allergies reacted to something in store so I stayed home with hot cranberry/sangria fruit cocktail.  Tasty.

I  need to run today, but will wait to see what the weather does. If there's snow on the roads, I'll stay home.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Puppy pool was good.

Ran and it was 41 rain and wind. I was in shorts and sports bra and sweaty yesterday. Yikes.

Hope the game was good Ginny

camille no snow here. I don't want any.

Marjorie

Hooray, we had rain yesterday and last night!  Actually envious of you folks talking about blustery conditions.  If only there were some way to trade weather, at least temporarily.  Ran 18.4 with RC friends this morning in a light drizzle.  That rain has mostly moved on and now the sun is out, which is a little disappointing.  But it's better for an outdoors Land Trust event that I'm volunteering at this afternoon.

Ginny, sounds like a very fun Halloween.  Good luck to your GD's team!

Camille, mile 85 at WS is my aid station, Auburn Lake Trails.  The nurse you met must have been with the medical team.  I'm sure I would have spoken to her since I'm the aid station captain, but I only remember the name of the medical team leader, Lucas (who I think is not going to be there next year).  What a small world! If you run into her again, see if she's coming back for next year's race.  If you find out her name, I'll make sure to say hi.

Marjorie, glad Hammy enjoyed puppy pool.  The other pup doesn't use the pool, right?

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

2nd to last race in the club's race series this morning, a 5 miler. Leading up to this race I was 4 points ahead of second and 9 ahead of third. But I was worried because I've lost a lot of speed the last three months. I looked at the results from the 5K and 10K races earlier in the year and figured if I could just hold 7:30s I could probably hold off 2nd and 3rd. But I had no idea if I could, the only fast run I've attempted in the last three months was a 5K in September, and I ran that in an average pace of 7:54. Well, I was able to pull off 7:35s, and finished a minute in front of the girl currently in third place and over 2 minutes ahead of second. So with 6 points now between me and second place, I'm in pretty good shape. As long as I show up to the 15K in December and run halfway decent, I've got it.

I'm ignoring the fact that I could have run this race 30 sec/mile faster last year. Because this is where I am right now, and this is good enough. More easy running for me while my foot continues to improve, and my speed will come back. Or not.

Ginny, hope the Bulldogs won!

camille, you got snow? We've got colder weather this weekend, but nothing like you or the Midwest ladies. I am so glad this will be my last cold winter though.

Marjorie, yuck. We had some rain this morning, but temps were up near 50 and the wind held off until after the race.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Gatsby, oh no.  Quincy doesn't like the water. He goes just to hang out on the deck and get a bunch of treats.  He won't get in the water.  The few times we've had him get in he hated it and never relaxed so we don't force him

Karen, yes, it is where you are now and that is still awesome

The rain has let up for the moment. There was snow sited close by.  No. Just no. It was so cold during my run I even used gloves.  It took forever for me to warm back up after the run too.  And, I had some minor cold hives where a few spots got super red and itchy as I was warming up.  I've only had that a few times.  Didn't last long but still sucked.  When we went to the grocery store I had to force DH to wear a coat and not just go in his short sleeve tee and jeans.  It is 41 degrees out.  He needs a coat!

Marjorie

Greetings!  Halloween went well with class... There was Miss Frizzle ready to go to the water treatment plant, the Safe Drinking Water Act, a giardia cyst, a bag of soda ash, softened water, and disinfected water.  The students had a good time and it did get them thinking.  It was a cold and blistering day though.  See photo above... We, too, had fewer kids then in the past - which means leftover candy, which is not good.  Will need to bring it into work or something. 

Walked/ran this afternoon - first time since the ultra last Saturday.  (Soaking the toe in warm salt water seems to be the trick - or maybe it was time, but that seemed to work better than ice to bring down the swelling).  DH walked with me for 2.8 miles (even got him to do two under 19 min miles!) And then I ran the rest.  I so want to get back on the trails!!!

Here's the Giardia cyst excysting:   after being treated with the disinfectant.  Oh yes, you can buy little stuffed microbes. The Paramecium and copepod are cute, but seriously who buys a stuffed syphilis microbe.  Yeah, nothing says I love you more than a gift of a stuffed syphilis microbe (or maybe a Black Plague microbe would).

Back later for personals!

camille2

I did 4 easy ones.  The snow is gone. It  caused a fair amt of excitement in GA, as a snowflake always does.  The Atlanta news crews had their storm teams in the hills/mountains nearby.  I have to say that it was weirdly early...we're just at peak leaf season here. The good news:  it was very windy  until noon and the power blinked a lot, but mine stayed on. : )  More than 2000 are still without power.  Next week...high on Wed predicted to be 71.

Ginny,  don't be rushing those years now.    I'm just over a year behind you.  I get no trick or treaters here, but we had scores at our Fairbanks house and I miss it.  I'm with Lisa and even enjoyed the teenagers.  I did like them to dress up a bit though. Some  big guys would just come in normal clothes with a big bag for candy. We figured if they saw any cute girls, they were ready to hide the bag. Hope the game went well.

Gatsby,  the nurse was part of the medical team and she's from California.  We both were visiting our DD's in NC and waiting for them to finish Bull City. She was a smallish attractive blonde and old enough to have a young adult dau. Narrows it down, right?   She said those guys were crazy, but also mentioned how good they looked at that point in race.  If I'd known a name other than Gatsby, I would have asked if she met you.

Karen, congrats!  That's so cool! Big city, so it's very impressive.

Marjorie, yuck on the hives.  I'm guessing you'll have hot temps next week, too.

Susan, those were clever ideas for costumes.

Tomorrow, a friend and I are driving to Tallulah Gorge again.  They do a white water release just  5 weekends a year for kayakers to go down the river and we want to watch. It should be pretty wild.

Camille-Have fun gorging tomorrow! 

Susan-nice, ahem, costume.  What is up with your toe?  I missed that.

Marjorie-didn't expect to hear you have the cold weather too!

Karen-congrats on the 5 miler! One of the neat things about our group and about running with others is the perspective we have.  I can appreciate your resignation over running 7:35 min/mile for 5 miles and at the same time rejoice in another hitting 12 min/mile pace.  We all do our best at the time and that's what matters.  No one is quitting their day job to make a living from running.

Gatsby-the colors this fall have been great, mainly because of the rain.  Glad you are getting some of your own.

Ginny-congrats to grand daughter!

About 7 miles this morning. Went out and joined the run group I belonged to in the past.  Was nice.

Lisa

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

It's officially taper time! I got out this morning for 12 miles and felt pretty good, although we had the same weather as Marjorie - 42 degrees and it rained most of the way, although not terribly hard. I was freezing by the time we finished, and the warm bath I took felt great!

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a run/walk approach for the marathon. As badly as I've struggled with my long runs, I'm thinking it might stave off some of the fatigue I've been experiencing. Any thoughts? Anyone else used a similar approach?

Camille - wow, that is really early for snow for you! The whitewater release sounds cool.

Gatsby - I hope you get more rain - I know you really need it. When we went to NY for my sister's wedding a couple of weeks ago, I was amazed at how low the reservoir we drive past was.

Karen - nice job on the race! And good job being philosophical - I know how hard it is to not meet your own expectations.

Lisa - I loved your social butterfly costume.

Ginny - I hope your GD's game went well. DS3's soccer game got moved tomorrow because the fields all had standing water on them. I can't say I'm sorry we didn't have to stand out and watch him play in today's weather.

Marjorie - I had to break out the gloves today too. And my hands were still freezing, since the gloves were soaked by the end.

Susan - glad the toe is recovering.

Off to bed. DS2 threw up earlier this evening - I'm hoping it was just an overabundance of Halloween candy and not some kind of stomach bug that will keep him up tonight!

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

ginnyb

My GD's te. am won the championship!!!   3 overtimes!  She did great, got the quarterback once , all on her own!  They decided to play the game outside the complex.  Thankfully, my DD was there early and called us to give us warning and to bring blankets, hats , and gloves for them.  They decided after my daughter and her family had arrived.  It was about a 45 minute drive away.  A grandmother's love is standing out in the snow/sleet/rain occasionally and cold and wind for 3 hours at a football game, for someone who hates the cold.  It, of course, went 3 overtimes!  The won 13-12.  It was very exciting and never thought I would be cheering my granddaughter's  football team to a victory!.. Again, I know I am bragging, but she is the only girl playing in the entire league and it was funny to hear the comments of some of the spectators.  I hope this doesn't sound racist because it isn't meant to be, but one man just turned around and said to his buddy "damn, that is a little white girl"  I wanted to stand up and say "you're damn right it is!"  Most of the team is also black.  Sorry....I could go on and one and we all could about our children/grandchildren.  Can you tell I am excited???

Now, all I have to do is get off my butt and run sometime today!!  I believe the weather is supposed to be better today.

Karen....you did great!!   I saw on FB that you gualified for NYC.  That is one I would love to do I think.  I tried twice to get in, but I never have made it, of course I would not get in by qualifying.  I should have tried 3 in a row because I think after that, if you don't make it, you get in automatically.

Cindy..  I have been using the run/walk approach for my long runs the last couple of years.  Of course, I am not one to emulate as far as speed goes, but it works for me.  Lisa has even done it with me for a half we did a couple of years ago.  It doesn't seem to make my time less, in fact, my PR for a half was the walk/run method.  It's funny, cause in my head, I say to myself, ok you have to run this fast for a minute, or whatever time you use, and then I can walk again....works for me.

After the game!  Oh yeah, apparently there is also a romance brewing, although GD says they are just friends, LOL!

I will be back later.

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Hello all. I had my hilly half yesterday. I freely admit the big hills kicked my butt and I power hiked (sounds better than walking) the steep parts. Even with the hills and light rain, I finished about 14 minutes slower than usual. I'm pretty happy with that. When I got done, I immediately changed into a dry shirt and jacket. What difference it makes for not getting too cold afterward. We stayed and ate. They had roasted sweet potatoes, baby potatoes, pasta salad, vegetable soup, French onion soup, Apple crisp and beer. The hot soup really hit the spot, as did the apple crisp. A little sore in my hips and back today, but not bad.

Here's the map/elevation profile (nothing compared to what some of you have done lately)

http://www.zhalfmarathon.com/maps.htm

Ginny - Happy Belated Birthday! Congrats to your GD!

Camille - snow already? None for us yet.

Marjorie - that is a big change in weather. Sounds like us. We went from 70s to 50 and rain.

Gatsby - glad you had a good run with your RC.

Karen - great job on the race!

Runners mom - glad you had a good Halloween and that you're getting back out here. I can't even fathom an ultra!

Lisa - glad you enjoyed your 7 miler.

Cindy - glad your 12 miles went well. Have a good taper and better race!

Anonymous Guest

Ginny, you must be so proud! How cool for your granddaughter, the little white girl!

Lisa, I totally agree with you on the awesomeness of this group - we're all out there doing the best we can. Now I know it's a couple months before the NYCM lottery opens, but I'm watching the race on tv this morning, and I want to run it next year. You putting your name in?

Susan, glad the foot is doing better. Both times I ran 50 milers I took an entire week off after, so I think you're right on pace ultra recovery wise.

Cindy, hmm, I don't know. What kind of run/walk were you thinking? I've done marathons where I've walked a minute every mile and through the aid stations, but I've never done like a 3/1, 4/1, 6/1 kind of thing. I would think you wouldn't want to do a really short interval since if you haven't been doing that in training, because you don't really know how it will work for you. If you do decide to do walk breaks, I think the important thing is to start doing them right away - don't wait until mile 10 or 15 to start.

Shadow, congrats on your race! That looks plenty hilly to me - I'd have been a good bit slower than normal as well.

Gatsby, wait, you got rain?!!?

camille, watching the water release sounds fun. Dress warmly, though, unless this cold crap has passed through where you are already.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.5. Not as cold as yesterday. I still wore gloves but was able to take them off at mile 4.5. We go back to normal this week which is good. I don't like cold.

Shadow I like the power hike. Nice picture.

Cindy yep I was super wet too so really cold. Glad today I didn't have to deal with the same. Sun was out. Chilly but nothing like yesterday

Susan glad some people came up with great ideas for costumes

karen hope you get to run NYC

Camille our trees haven't even really turned yet. At least we didn't get snow. I made sure to warm up before hitting the shower today. So no hives. They didn't last long yesterday but still were itchy.

Lisa oh if people would pay us to run!

ginny yay!  Glad they won. Long game, though

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Karen - We're looking at walking for a minute or 90 seconds at each water stop. Water stops are every 2 miles for the first 20 and every mile thereafter. Definitely planning on doing them from the start.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2