Womens Running

Winter week-end (over 40) (Read 15 times)

Bikerchick1

Happy Week-end!

Yesterday took SRD.  Did some shopping, just going to the car and back was enough...it was so cold.  Today going to hit the DM for a few, and tomorrow is our LR.

Carol

camille2

Good morning!  I'm back to my cabin and it's very sunny out, but it's still 20's and 30's.

Carol, I have the Fitbit zip and like it a lot because has a screen and I can see what it counts. Jumping jacks get 8-10.  DC rainmaker (of the Garmin reviews) has an in depth review on it and probably on others.  It's a site worth checking. One downside is that it is easy to forget it is on and it's tiny.  I lost my first one here in the house. With the second one, I clip it to my bra but also use a thin chain.  I agree that it's not precise, but is "good enough" for general activity. Love it.

Ginny, I am not starving all the time now, but it's only because my sweet tooth is out of control and I keep indulging it.  So far my weight is ok, but only because I compensate by eating soup and salads for regular meals. Usually I can keep to one junk per day, but starting at Christmas, it's 3 or 4.

Karen, I hope you're still improving!

Marjorie, there weren't closings here but a lot of the schools delayed opening by 2-3 hours because the wind was forecast to slow down a bit later in the morning.

Demaris, enjoy your pleasant temps!  You deserve them after your summers.

Hi to everyone else!

I'm going to gym later when I go in to town to turn in my Saturday quilt block.  Plan to do 4 and hope it's not windy so I can do it outside.

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

I got out this morning for 8 chilly miles. It was 23 here, which is pretty cold for NC. Not as cold as the 13 degrees I ran on Thursday, though. I told my DH that I don't mind running in the cold after the first 7-8 minutes, but those first few minutes are brutal!

Speaking of DH, yesterday was his last day at his job. It's a good and bad thing. Good, because the expectations of the job had changed to the point that he was working all the time, incredibly stressed, and not enjoying what he was doing. Bad, because he doesn't have another job yet and, as you know, I only work part-time. It's been an extremely stressful couple of months, as we've known that this is where we were headed. But his job was so demanding in terms of the time that he was putting in that it was really impossible for him to look for something else as long as he was there. So I have mixed emotions - worried about our financial situation, but hopeful that he can find something that he can enjoy and that can provide a bit more balance in his life. So keep us in your thoughts/prayers/whatever positive energy you send out into the universe!

Carol - I'm sure inside is the right choice for you guys with this cold!

Camille - our schools didn't delay this week, and we had a lot of parents up in arms. I was ok with it, though.

Off to get some cleaning and lunch done between basketball games. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Today I got up and got hair cut. Dh took pups to the pool. I also ran errands then came home and did 10.3 miles

Carol just boo to cold.  At least you have the dm to get around the running in the cold

Camille I think they only delayed here too. I think they finally decided not to close anything

Cindy I agree the first minutes are the worst with the cold. Today wasn't too bad but the wind in the areas that weren't sunny were chilly. At least I was good in long sleeve tech and dint need gloves or a thick running pant or fleece shirt.  What kind of work does your dh do?  Is he looking to do the same thing he was doing or switch it up?

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Ugh. I feel awful today. I am now just hoping I feel good enough to travel by Thursday. The actual race on Saturday will most likely be slow, assuming I can get there healthy, and that's okay, I just want to be able to get there!

Cindy, that sounds stressful, but necessary. I'm sure DH will find something quickly. I kind of feel like things tend to work out for the best. Scary to quit the job, but something much better for him will happen. I was upset when I got laid off, but I found an even better job, more challenging, more fun, and more willing to let me telecommute when I move. I know for a fact that the old job wouldn't have even considered that possibility. Maybe a better example: when I was in second grade (so my sister was in fourth and my brother in fifth), my dad quit has job, took a two week training course and then started his own business. I think we were pretty poor for a couple years (but I couldn't even really tell at the time, I was 7), and now as an adult I can't imagine the guts my dad had to do that, but it worked out great. His business was successful, the company he was working for (one of the largest employers in town) closed down a few years later and unemployment in town went through the roof while we were okay. He was much happier working for himself and he did much better financially.

Hi Carol, camille and Marjorie!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Hello weekend!  Nice to see you again!  I ran an easy 4 with my RB this morning and have a 22 mile trail race tomorrow  Can't complain about our winter temps...  It's sunny and in the 60s now.   But at risk of sounding like a broken record, we really need rain, not sun.

Carol, hope the DM was tolerable for you.  Enjoy your LR tomorrow.  Is it outside?

Camille, I have a terrible sweet tooth too.  I have to ban sweets from my house since I have no self control.  Told my DH to stop buying ice cream for me even though I love it.  Is there snow where you are?

Cindy, sending you and your DH good thoughts on his job situation.  Can he network with other people in his field about job opportunities?  Many jobs get filled that way and aren't even posted.  LIke mine.

Marjorie, nice miles as usual.  Hope the haircut was successful.

MTA Hi Karen!  Cross posted.  Ugh, sorry you are still sick.  Are you able to rest?  Sometimes that's about the best you can do.

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Tree and village down along with some other decorations.  Rest tomorrow.  Least favorite part of the holiday.

Went to gym this morning since still sub 0 windchills.  Some elliptical, some bike and 45 minutes on the stairclimber (168 floors).

Carol-stay warm!

Camille-sweets are my downfall too.

Cindy-best wishes and prayers coming your family's way.

Karen-I hope you feel better soon.

Gatsby-have fun tomorrow!  Are you going to be around during the week of April 20th?  I'll be visiting the Mountain View office... maybe with Tessa.

Running outside tomorrow!

Lisa

Gatsby-have fun tomorrow!  Are you going to be around during the week of April 20th?  I'll be visiting the Mountain View office... maybe with Tessa.

Running outside tomorrow!

Yes, I should be here the week of April 20th!  Bring Tessa!

Eeek, stay warm tomorrow.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Arimathea

Tessa

Cindy, sympathy. I have been there. It is horribly stressful for your spouse to be out of work. Hope he can find another job soon.

Camille, stay warm!

Marjorie, I hope the puppy pool is heated.

Karen, chances are you will be faster than I am no matter how slow you are.

Lisa, Emailed you.

Raining here. It wasn't supposed to rain until tomorrow but it started drizzling while I was running. Now raining steadily.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Oh, yes. The puppy pool is heated. Mostly for the humans that are in it. The girls get in with them so it needs to be.

Up with Quincy since 3. He feels better now but his stomach was hurting. Finally gave him pepto at 625 and he was able to finally fall asleep around 7. This am he is all perky and happy.

Today is their adoption anniversary. 7 years ago we went to get them.

Cindy my dh has been out of work 3 times in the last 22 years. And, actually that was in the first 8 years we were married.  The worst one he was out for nearly a year when he left the Army.

Marjorie

ginnyb

Cindy....sorry life has been so stressful for you and yours.  Here's to finding a job fast for DH!  Like Karen said, things usually tend to work out for the best.

Karen...too bad that you are still not feeling so well.  Take care and hopefully you will be good to travel.

Lisa....also hate taking down Christmas!  Hope you had a good run today.

SRD for me yesterday also.  We had a new vanity and toilet installed in our downstairs bath, now I just have to figure out colors to paint.

I was going to run outside this morning, but I was up at 5 and I didn't want to wait around until it got light, so I went to the gym and did 5.20 on the TM.  It was all I could muster!

Damaris...good luck today, the race is probably over by now.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

13.5 for me.

Nice job, Damaris!

Marjorie

9 something for me with Yaktrax this morning on trails.  Lots of mountain bikers out with their super fat tires making for perfect Yaktrax  Lots of sharing of the trail and stepping aside for bikes as well as an oncoming dog sled being pulled by 6 huskies.  That was neat to share the trail with them. Running in snow is a good workout if not an especially fast one.

Ginny-good job on the run no matter where it was.

Tessa-getting travel booked tomorrow!

Damaris-congrats on the PR!!

Gatsby-suggestions for somewhere to stay that would be convenient to drive to Mountain View office but offer good run options for mornings?

Lisa

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for a very relaxed 3 miles this afternoon. I forgot to say that Wednesday was my 500th consecutive day of exercising for at least 20 minutes. Granted, I may be a bit relaxed about what constitutes "exercise" on my non- running days, but I'm pretty pleased to keep it going.

Thanks for all your kind words about our situation. It's very scary, but I really do believe that it will work out for the best in the long run. I just hope the "long run" isn't too long, as that won't be very good for our savings.

Marjorie - DH is in banking. He is looking in the same field, and I think he would do well at a smaller institution. He is also looking at some other opportunities, though.

Gatsby - yes, DH has lots of contacts. He had worked for his employer for more than 26 years and knows a lot of people in the industry, and also a lot of people in the community through his civic involvement. He's already had some meetings with folks and has some more scheduled for this week.

Karen - I hope you are feeling better by the weekend. I hate to miss the chance to see you guys, but I knew this job change was probably coming, and couldn't see spending the money.

Tessa - thanks. It is very stressful, but it's also been stressful living with a spouse who's so unhappy and so stressed from his job. He definitely needs a change.

Lisa - how cool to see huskies! No snow here, but it's been cold for NC. And tomorrow's running forecast is 36 and rain - my very least favorite combo.

Off to get dinner on the table. Have a great evening-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Bikerchick1

cindy - Sounds like a wise move for DH.  Thoughts/prayers and successful job hunting vibes being sent!

Camille - Is the Fitbit zip the small one that clips on?  Hope you get in to gym.

Karen - Sure hope you are feeling better!!!

Marjorie  - Happy adoption-versay for your puppys!  They certainly lucked out in that adoption!!!

Gatsby - Hope your 22 mile trail race went good.

Ginny - Nice job on getting up and going to the gym and doing the DM!

Tessa - Hi!!! Sorry for the rain...

Lisa - Those fat tired bikes are pretty crazy aren't they????

Did 8 with RB's this am.  WEather was amazingly warm - 21 degrees!!!  Roads were snow covered and slippery in spots but was a fun run!

Carol